PS5 reveal

Started by GfK, June 11, 2020, 22:23:02

Previous topic - Next topic

GfK

Steve Elliott

I've not seen it yet, but at least they bothered to design something rather than just a box/bin, the jokes have started already about the latest X Box.  As if the X Box designer took inspiration from something in the corner of the office.  That'll do!  Although I'm not a fan of white consoles.

Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Amon

I'm buying both. :)
PS5 first though.

GaborD

It wasn't bad and they did bring some heavy hitters, I think it was just way too overhyped beforehand.
People were expecting a show full of PS5 gen games being presented with mindblowing gameplay and graphics on the level of the UE5 demo, which Sony just doesn't have at a presentable state yet. They could have maybe handled the initial event announcements better.
There was some really good stuff in there that I am surely going to play. It just wasn't really a PS5 gen event.

Steve Elliott

I like the hardware/appearance (the media version, less so as the symmetry is fucked up).  Also Hitman 3 and the new Ratchet and Clank.

Yeah I noticed the symmetry is compromised in the media version, but it does at least give you the option of playing blue ray discs and not having to wait all day to download a game if you have a bad internet speed.  Plus you have a hardware backup to re-install if there's a problem with the game.  Ratchet and Clank looked good, and the more arty/film like games looked interesting, but most seemed just like very early demos rather than near completed games.  However I hear backward compatibility with PS4 is very good, so if you already have some PS4 games that will keep you going until the PS5 games are complete.

But is that worth the rumoured $600 price tag to me?  No.  I'd have to think twice even at $200.

Yes if they were cheaper then I would be far more tempted, maybe in a years time when there's more software and they're cheaper.  You always pay a premium price to get the latest tech on launch.

We're in iPhone territory, where we're expected to dole out $100s for essentially what we already own + realtime raytracing which isn't and should never be essential to a quality game.

I think the current generation of consoles struggle with 4K, so the PS5 and latest X Box will be far more usable at that resolution for certain games.  Yes I still quite like pixel and vector art, and games could be completed very much quicker at 1080p (with better framerates) so they could spend more time on the gameplay.
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

blinkok

Why are they still painting on the eyes in R&C? All those polys and they gotta paint on the eyes. Why?

Steve Elliott

So I'm not saying it shouldn't have a disc drive - just not where they put it.

Yes I agree, they should have put it in the centre black section, rather than the odd off to the side bulge (and moved things around inside).

As much as I hate the new X Box rubbish bin design, at least it can fit in around the tv more discreetly.  Rather than a very tall bright white product, that looks a bit cheap.  In a sci-fi film it would look appropriate, but generally you want a black/silver design to fit in with the TV and usual media boxes, even if you add some blue lights.  Perhaps they'll offer new colours down the line as some console manufacturers have in the past.
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Xerra

Had a look at a video this morning as I missed the actual reveal itself. The machine looks alright to me but I'd probably get the version without a drive as I never trade in games anyway so this would prevent me hoarding loads of discs. I already have a blu-ray player for watching movies.

There was no reveal on the price so I don't know where rumours come from but Sony have always made a calculated loss on console sales because it's the games that make the money for them. Can't see how they would go for a retail price of over £500 when we're about to go into a massive recession with this Corona virus knock-on effect. They're not going to let that crappy Xbox steal their thunder if it ends up being cheaper because there's probably not much difference in the tech specs.

Sony has such massive buying power as everyone knows it's going to shift serious weight in new PS sales that they can probably get a seriously good discount on bulk buying SSD drives just so some company can get the contract with them. Apple probably do the same but they just don't offset it back to the customer as they're not going to get much follow on income from a machine sale.

I'm betting £300 - £350 tops for the console when it arrives just to make sure they get one in as many homes as possible. I'm definitely planning on replacing my PS pro with one - probably at launch.
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

Steve Elliott

I'm betting £300 - £350 tops for the console.

At that price it would mean game over (man) for Microsoft...I personally always think X Box Products as being essentially a PC - ie no innovation.  The PS5 SSD hardware for a start seems far more advanced - sound too.
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Xerra

Quote from: Steve Elliott on June 12, 2020, 19:20:26
I'm betting £300 - £350 tops for the console.

At that price it would mean game over (man) for Microsoft...I personally always think X Box Products as being essentially a PC - ie no innovation.  The PS5 SSD hardware for a start seems far more advanced - sound too.

Yeah, I suspect you're right but that's business for you. I've never had an Xbox but I've stuck with Playstation ever since I first saw Ridge Racer at a Win 95 show in 1994 where Sony also had a stand. I've owned a Wii as well, and now have several old consoles in the loft just as a collection thing, but other than that it's been Sony all the way for me. I never actually owned a PS3 as I was more into PC gaming in that era but other than that it would take something monumental to shift me from Playstation.

Still dithering on buying a Nintendo Switch, though. Kind of thing I'd play with when I was on the move.
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

Henri

My ps3 is starting to show it's age and the next move is to probably get a brand new ps4.

I don't much play anything on a console, so it would be pointless to get the top stuff. It's more of a family thing (Streaming services and kids games). I like Playstation as a media server.

-Henri
- Got 01100011 problems, but the bit ain't 00000001