how to determine the codec, the "frequency", the "bits", of a sound ? [solved]

Started by RemiD, January 19, 2018, 20:37:25

Previous topic - Next topic

RemiD

Hello,

I have a problem !!!

I captured then modified/exported some sound effects using a microphone and Wavepad (sound editor tool) a few years ago, and they still "work" well today (using Blitz3d)

However if i follow a similar procedure, using Wavepad, the new exported sounds do not produce any "hearable" sound (even if they seem loaded and played correctly in Blitz3d)

That's weird... And annoying... So my idea to fix this, would be to determine what is the codec, frequency (hz), bits, of the "hearable" sounds, and use the same settings to export the "silent" sounds...

Do you have any idea on how to do that ? I right clicked on the sound file and had a look at the properties, but nothing mentionned here....

If i don't find a solution, this means that there will be no prologue in my game, oh nooo ! :'(

Derron

First of all: can you playback them with your default media player?

bye
Ron

RemiD

First of all: can you playback them with your default media player?
yes...

The old sound, that i have exported a few years ago, using the same tool (wavepad), following the same procedure, the same format (except i don't remember exactly the codec, the frequency (22050hz, 32000hz, 44100hz, 48000hz, ...), the bits (8, 16, 32), is loaded correctly, apparently played correctly, i can hear it.

If i take this sound and i export it again, using the same tool (wavepad, but a newer version), following the same procedure, the new sound is loaded correctly, apparently played correctly, but i can't hear it...

So my idea is to find a way to see what the properties of the old sound are (codec, frequency, bits) and use the same settings to export the new sounds... But i don't know how to do that.

I suppose that Blitz3d may not be compatible with "modern sounds", since it was created in the era of directx7 ! (before 2002 !)

Derron

On linux using "sox"

$ soxi POL-a-sinister-courtyard-short.wav

Input File     : 'POL-a-sinister-courtyard-short.wav'
Channels       : 2
Sample Rate    : 22050
Precision      : 8-bit
Duration       : 00:00:18.29 = 403200 samples ~ 1371.43 CDDA sectors
File Size      : 809k
Bit Rate       : 354k
Sample Encoding: 8-bit Unsigned Integer PCM

If you want, upload 1-2 files and we might have a look.

bye
Ron

RemiD

Ok i have found the cause of the problem and the solution :

Unless it is a problem with Wavepad (sound editor tool), a wav sound must be exported with these settings :
PCM uncompressed
44100Hz
16bits

in order to work with Blitz3d (is "hearable" (=when it is played, i hear it))

if i use 32bits it does not work (is not "hearable" (=when it is played, i don't hear it))

done!