Code a game competition Nov-Jan 2018 - Minimum £500 prize fund

Started by Qube, November 15, 2017, 04:44:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Qube

Quote from: therevills on December 16, 2017, 04:27:37
2 quick rules clarification please:

1. Is black a colour and does it count to one of the 16?
2. I like fading to black between sections (eg title screen to game screen), so I draw a black rectangle and tween its alpha until fully opaque - is this allowed as it may look like more colours are used?

Black would be counted as one of your 16 colour palette. If you alpha fade to black then your palette becomes 100's of colours and thus breaks the 16 colour rule.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

therevills

Thought so, thanks for clarifying.  :)

I've got my simple tile map loader working :

It reads in the JSON from Pyxel Edit tile map exports  :)

Now collision detection!

Derron

looks good...and as said I am more and more of the opinion to not continue competition game development. No chance to win and already loosing interest in the original game idea - especially with the fans of my other game begging for a "big update to christmas" :-p

Stop doing so good looking things!

bye
Ron

RemiD

reminder : if you use a 3d engine for your game, remember that the diffuse/ambient colors of a material can alter the colors of the pixels of the texture associated with it. (recently i wondered why a "rock" was grey and another "rock" was redish, even if the pixels of the texture were grey... Now you know why !)

Qube

Quote from: Derron on December 16, 2017, 08:01:44
looks good...and as said I am more and more of the opinion to not continue competition game development. No chance to win and already loosing interest in the original game idea - especially with the fans of my other game begging for a "big update to christmas" :-p

Stop doing so good looking things!
**SLAP!!** Get back to it and finish it off :P ( me great at motivational speeches )

Seriously though, don't fall into that defeatist trap. Besides you've not seen my laughable graphics yet and I've been struggling a whole heap to get something to look passable.
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD

Until the next time.

Steve Elliott

After realising I have to move 4 pixels per frame (because I'm up-scaling the native resolution by 4) this destroyed my smooth movement.

If I don't come up with a solution quick I'll be out too.  Currently the movement has gone from smooth to far too jerky and slow, or blurring and fast.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Qube

QuoteCurrently the movement has gone from smooth to far too jerky and slow, or blurry and fast.
If you are moving 4 pixels every frame of even every other frame then it should still look smooth enough. Can you do a screen recording of the problem?

Until the next time.

RemiD

Would this kind of render be ok ? (first person view, 320x200 resolution, 16colors max)

i am trying to create a graphics style similar to "Daggerfall" (simplified, with less colors, without lighting/shading)

Qube

Until the next time.

GaborD

Some of the games you guys are working on look great!
Now I kinda want to join the fun. Nothing done for it yet ofcourse.  :'(

Quote from: Qube on November 15, 2017, 04:44:30
If you want to do a full on 3D game in a 320x200 res with 16 colours, then good luck.
That sounds like you issued an added challenge right there... hmm. :D

Qube

QuoteThat sounds like you issued an added challenge right there... hmm. :D
Absolutely :P - If I knew shaders I would of been tempted to go for an index palette shader with full on 3D. But alas, I do not and thus it's been a mega cobweb blowing session off my ancient 2D pixel drawing of decades ago. The last time I did any mass pixel stuff for games it was all done on graph paper first and translated into hex for the TI-99/4A.

Until the next time.

therevills

Collision detection is in for the player and the tile set. Using masking to work out the slopes, when loading in the tile set I creating a simple 2D array of the images and then work out the height on the player for the slope - PITA really! The slight delay you see when moving from the title screen to the game screen is the process of creating the masks... need to find a way to speed it up.

In the video, the orange rectangle is the 2D mask rendered and the tiles turn red when the player touches them - debugging as its best!

Also changed the screen fading to pixel filling  :P

@Derron - please dont give up - I like the look of your Christmas game :)

Derron

@ 4 Pixels
It is like moving 1 pixel in the native 320x200 resolution.

So when "magnifying" you still pass the very same background blocks (which are then 4x4px instead of 1x1px).

@ do not stop
Only were able to invest 5 minutes in another animation sprite until I got the new phone for  mother-in-law which needs upgrades, rooting, installation of all needed apps, cleaning of bloat ... and then the son always wants to sing songs - and a blink later its time for bed again :-). Not forgetting about real-life-work.

Seems I missed to place his "hat-bell" at the right spot. Glad I spotted it before you guys do.

I also planned to have some bullets (sugar candy canes ;-)) but  shooting in a rotating tower... means only be able to hit for 1-2 bricks. until rotation makes it "go off". I think I should do it similar to a hammer-projectile in Super Mario (so it has a low impact/velocity for a high gravity impact - and goes down pretty fast).

Biggest trouble for now was the "float to int"-thing. Dunno if it was better to have everything "int" and just store the small fractional part of the movement in another field (so what not fits inti "int" becomes a "remainer:float"-value). Else I always end up with problems (camera position is limited to player and defines how everything renders - and calculates rotation). Limiting some parts to "int(value +0.5)" everytime leads to jerky movement/jittering - or incorrect collisions. One sees that I have no experience with developing platformers (rather playing Super Mario (et. al) in my youth :-p).

At least a simple key press allows to switch from "rotating tower" to a simple "repeating 2d level"-type - now, after fiddling around with collision-detection on the "wrap around" coordinate (hint: split your collision-boxes into two - so it splits at the wrapping coordinate - and then check both for collisions) - and now it seems to work a bit better.
There is plenty to do and no actual gameplay in sight. I should really stop thinking "big" and doing little baby steps game-idea-wise as it else ends in a too hughe task to swallow.

bye
Ron

Steve Elliott

If you are moving 4 pixels every frame of even every other frame then it should still look smooth enough.

Maybe if you're not animating.  But I'm getting ghosting on fast updates, and jerky movement on slow ones.

I usually use time based movement - not pixel movement.

// AGK time based movement example

x# = 0.0
speed# = 40.0
lastFrame# = Timer()

do
    thisFrame#  = Timer()
    frameSpeed# = thisFrame# - lastFrame#
    lastFrame#  = thisFrame#

KeyEsc = GetRawKeyState(27)
    If KeyEsc Then End

x# = x# + speed# * frameSpeed#
    SetSpriteX(1, x#)