Ooops
March 01, 2021, 11:12:44 PM

Author Topic: A million monkeys on typewriters compression algorithm  (Read 330 times)

Offline Matty

• MattiesGames
A million monkeys on typewriters compression algorithm
« on: January 03, 2021, 07:25:20 PM »
Alternative compression algorithm

Take datastream, let's call it A.

Record length of A in bytes. Store in output file OUT.

Generate n random number sequences with unique seeds.

For byte a to byte b of A beginning at a=1 and b=length of A look for equal sequence to a same length section of random sequences.  If none then reduce b by 1 and try again.

If find a match:
Record seed s, start of sequence s0 and length of sequence s1 in output file OUT.

Move pointer in A to position b+1, set new value for a=b+1 and b to length of A.

Repeat process.

Given sufficient compression time file ought to be smaller.

Note should be able to even compress white noise datastreams too.

I eat cheese in the trees when its eight degrees

Offline Pakz

• My homepage
Re: A million monkeys on typewriters compression algorithm
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 08:43:04 AM »
Google has and is using their Deep Learning technology to improve compression on their video's on youtube. Not sure how fast this all is going to show results. A scientist in a article somewhere said that cpu's need to be a billion billion times faster for current ai to be effective.

I have this brute force pathfinding code which really gets slow at paths more than a short number of steps.

Just imagine alien civilizations having super computing power and solving and simulating everything they can imagine!

Offline Dabz

• Is it cos I is ginger?
    • dabzy.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 11:11:40 AM »
Just imagine alien civilizations having super computing power and solving and simulating everything they can imagine!

Imagine if we were in one of these simulations, and are from the imagination of one of these things "out there"... I can only conclude, by looking around our world... That these all powerful things are... Complete and utter twats with the poorest of humour! :D

Dabz
Intel Core i5 6400 2.7GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (8GB), 16Gig DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Windows 10 64bit

Offline Matty

• MattiesGames
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2021, 11:28:43 PM »
I don't know - if so, they certainly generated a lot of funny British comedies over the years. ...
I eat cheese in the trees when its eight degrees

Offline Dabz

• Is it cos I is ginger?
    • dabzy.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 07:49:13 AM »
Very true Matty! ;)

Dabz
Intel Core i5 6400 2.7GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (8GB), 16Gig DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Windows 10 64bit

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal