June 18, 2019, 08:57:59 AM

Author Topic: Xmas theme for competition 7?  (Read 2135 times)

Offline BasicBoy

Re: Xmas theme for competition 7?
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2018, 08:25:47 PM »
Bugger. I had a rough idea in my head about Santa delivering gifts from his sleigh [...]

Ah! I don't know if you've seen this already, but I made a start on something like that last Xmas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5M1aDCvckQ

I'm a bit gutted I didn't get it finished in time for the deadline (my energy levels were low!).

BasicBoy.
--

Offline Qube

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2018, 10:37:19 PM »
Page two and still no consensus on a theme or time scale? :P - Guess I'll have to make something up :)
Until the next time...

Offline DaiHard

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2018, 09:41:55 AM »
An adaptation of Derron's "change"?

"Ends and Beginnings" - for New Year

Scope for things based on Ragnarok/Gotterdammerung/Lord of the Rings/Fin de Siecle/Green man legends, but also for a circular maze, or something reentrant, or just the new year!

D

Offline 3DzForMe

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2018, 12:51:23 PM »
How about a game based around the 12 days of Christmas....

....and a partridge in a pear tree

Or my favourite...

FIVE Go......old rings

Offline BasicBoy

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2018, 01:16:39 PM »
How about something relating to Nuclear War:o

Not terribly Christmassy or New Year-y, I admit  :P

How about:

- Fairies and Angels (with optional Reindeer)
- Evil Snowmen (or Snowpeople)
- Post-Apocalyptic City
- Iceworld (kind of similar to one of Derron's suggestions)

BasicBoy.
--

Offline TomToad

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2018, 02:12:17 PM »
How about something relating to Nuclear War:o

Not terribly Christmassy or New Year-y, I admit  :P
------------------------------------------------
8 rabbits equals 1 rabbyte.

Offline Xerra

• Retro Evolved
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2018, 09:45:45 PM »
Something that puts people out of their comfort zone. Instead of an arcade style game, let's see who makes the most interesting adventure game for example.

Online Steve Elliott

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2018, 09:50:40 PM »
let's see who makes the most interesting adventure game for example.

Well now we're talking, I do love arcade-style games, but the adventure game is sadly under produced these days.  Only NA producing quality in this genre.
Windows 10, 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 3.2 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (2Gb).
MacOS Mojave, 64-bit, 8Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 2.3 Ghz, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB.
Linux Mint 19.1, 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 3.2 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (2Gb).

Offline Xerra

• Retro Evolved
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2018, 10:05:54 PM »
let's see who makes the most interesting adventure game for example.

Well now we're talking, I do love arcade-style games, but the adventure game is sadly under produced these days.  Only NA producing quality in this genre.

I think I'd find this hugely challenging. I played a lot of the Scott Adams ones as a teenager and loved them. But I've never written a proper one before and I reckon a competition like this would give me the impetus to do it. Make it so graphics are allowed for a scene if you want to use it as a lot of our guys are quite artistic and this could encourage them to be quite creative. The core game should be typed commands to play, though, as all the best adventures were. Have a two word parser unless people wanted to get clever and actually do what infocom did and create parsers that could understand entire sentences :-)

Offline Qube

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2018, 10:19:16 PM »
Adventure games are not just text adventure games and a lot of people would class a game where you go on a journey / quest of some kind to be an adventure game. I think some games that are classed as an adventure game could also be classed as an RPG game.

So out of all the themes discussed are most happy with doing an adventure game?
Until the next time...

Offline Xerra

• Retro Evolved
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2018, 11:39:35 PM »
Adventure games are not just text adventure games and a lot of people would class a game where you go on a journey / quest of some kind to be an adventure game. I think some games that are classed as an adventure game could also be classed as an RPG game.

So out of all the themes discussed are most happy with doing an adventure game?

I'm definitely up for it. Got an idea forming in my head already that I'm writing down to see if it's do-able. I'm going to assume that there's going to be a theme to work with as well though?

Offline Qube

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2018, 02:51:52 AM »
I'm definitely up for it. Got an idea forming in my head already that I'm writing down to see if it's do-able. I'm going to assume that there's going to be a theme to work with as well though?
There has to be a theme, it's the law :P - Lets see what members think about the general idea of an adventure game and we'll go from there :)

You, yes you! the one who's reading this post. Let us know your thoughts ;D
Until the next time...

Offline BasicBoy

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2018, 03:35:49 AM »
Personally I'm not really into text adventures (only ever played one a bit - 'Sphinx Adventure' back in the 80s! [its author would go on to lead the design team for Acorn's first 32-bit OS]). Putting aside my artistic shortcomings, I wouldn't mind having a crack at a graphical adventure game/RPG. Maybe a fully 3D effort? Or would something along the lines of 'Citadel' or 'Palace Of Magic' on the old BBC Micro be permissible?

Citadel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW7QM_d-0a4

Anyway, whatever the rules and parameters of the contest turn out to be, I'll probably be up for it.  :D

Offline round157

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2018, 04:24:33 AM »
Hi,

Adventure game may be too boring. I guess that some members may decide not to join the contest.

If there is a poll function in this forum, members can easily vote among several themes. A popular theme can quickly be decided

at last.

Offline TomToad

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2018, 06:36:03 AM »
Maybe instead of Adventure as a genre, we could use Adventure as a theme.  So if you want to make it a text adventure, go ahead.  A Zelda or Final Fantasy type game, go ahead.  You just need to send the character on an adventure of some kind, a quest, save the princess, save the world, etc...  A lot of different genres could easily fit this theme.
------------------------------------------------
8 rabbits equals 1 rabbyte.