Insufficient privileges

Started by basement ape, June 22, 2017, 19:07:44

Previous topic - Next topic

basement ape

This is what Windows 8.1 gives me. I try to install OpenOffice on my laptop and get "error 1303: insufficient privileges to install to this directory" every goddamn time. I've tried to grant special permissions on the folder in question (appdata/such'n'such...). I tried running the installer as an elevated administrator or whatever it is they call it. Nothing helps. Oh man the frustration!

Does anyone around here have a clue what to do? I tried googling the problem but nothing helpful came up.

Qube

So assuming that :

1.. You are running the installer under admin privileges

Then it's possible that ( for whatever reason ) the folder you're installing this into needs to be changed to allow "system group" and / or "everyone group" full access.

It could be that the parent folder has mysteriously lost some permissions which is causing the installation failure rather than the actual install folder.

There are other reasons for the error message showing up which aren't even related to a folder permissions issue.

If you want we could arrange a join.me session and I'll happily fix + install it remotely if you want?
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

xlsior

Right-click on the installer, and choose 'run as administrator'

By default there are a lot of restrictions on the "c:\program files" folders, and even the administrator no longer has true administrator access all the time unless you explicitly allow it.
(Blame  decades of virusses and malware for that little hurdle)