Cerberus X - the continuation of Monkey X

Started by Xaron, June 21, 2017, 07:59:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Xaron

Dear all,

the Monkey site will probably close pretty soon (possibly by the end of June). Mark thankfully set Monkey X completely to open source as we all know so we took the opportunity to set up a page to continue maintaining and developing Monkey X under the new name Cerberus X.

Cerberus X runs under the same license as Monkey X, so it's open source and completely free. We are very addicted to this fantastic language and toolset. We use it for our own projects as well. There is simply nothing better out there when it comes to light weight(!) cross platform 2d game development.

So here's the link to our new home: https://www.cerberus-x.com

At the moment it's still somehow an empty space but with your help it will grow! We kind of "rush" into this because the Monkey page will be gone forever soon. We will introduce own binaries, tutorials, documentation a roadmap and all that stuff soon.

Thanks for reading, have a fantastic day!

Oh and by the way: Do NOT feel forced to register there or even think that we want to split up this great community here! That is NOT our intention.

Xaron

We almost have it...

Windows and Mac are working fine so far. I had to update GLFW to the latest 3.3 because it was quite old and did not work anymore with MacOS Sierra. So far so good, first binaries will come soon and then we're going to add stuff like Android Gradle support...

Pakz

Great to see the flash target there :)

edit : I get around a thousand pageviews a month on the blog with the flash applets. They are great to add with code examples.

MikeHart

Regarding Flash @Pakz what has to be installed to make it work these days. I tried but somehow it depends on Java. And I can't get to compile through.

muruba

I remember java distribution must be 32b even when running on 64b architecture...

Xaron

Just tried. Flash works here. :)

By the way, we're proud to announce our first Cerberus Release: https://www.cerberus-x.com/community/posts/124/

dawlane

Flash requirements if I recall:

• Apache ANT
  • Adobe Flash browser plugin
  • Oracle JDK 7/8
  • Apache Flex
Note that Apache Flex GUI Installer has been known to have problems with 64 bit versions of windows.
If I remember, you can get round it by downloading the Flex SDK binaries and using ANT to install. It should also not matter if you install either the 32bit or 64bit version of the JRE/JDK to build for Flash and Android. Only the Adobe version of the SDK required the 32 bit versions.

RonTek

Same problem I had when I first tried a flash build, I have JDK 8 64bit as default and fails to compile. Switching to JDK 7 which I think is 32bit builds ok now.

Quote from: Xaron on July 05, 2017, 09:04:09
By the way, we're proud to announce our first Cerberus Release: https://www.cerberus-x.com/community/posts/124/

Awesome Martin! :)

dawlane

Not sure why some are having issues with the 64 bit JDK. I've only got the 64 bit version of the JDK/JRE 8u131 installed on my Windows 10 machine. And I've just manually installed Apache Ant and Apache Flex via ANT. And after a few tweaks to the flex-conf.xml in the frameworks directory, I've got it running.

muruba

Weird, adobe also mentions it:

Note: You must use a 32-bit version of the JDK, version 1.5 or later. The command line compilers do not work with a 64-bit JDK.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/flex/using/WS2db454920e96a9e51e63e3d11c0bf69084-7fd9.html

dawlane

QuoteWeird, adobe also mentions it:

Note: You must use a 32-bit version of the JDK, version 1.5 or later. The command line compilers do not work with a 64-bit JDK.
I did state that the Adobe version of the SDK requires 32 bit in a previous post.

Adobe abandoned the Flex SDK at version 4.6. Parts of it were open sourced an left in the care of the Apache Software foundation under the moniker Apache Flex, who updated it and fixed a few bugs. Even Mr Sibly has mentioned the use of over on the MonkeyX site in one of his rare how to install posts. You should not be relying on the documentation to install dependencies because they are A) sketchy and B) never updated in many cases.

Xaron

Good news guys. I have the gradle stuff going for Android. Admob works as well. :) I'm currently look into interstitials with Admob followed by in app purchase stuff and then there will be probably a new release soon.

Xaron

Alright guys, new Cerberus binaries are there. Android works with Gradle!

muruba

Awesome, will be trying soon! Thanks!!!!