Revengestar, new Playniax game!

Started by playniax, June 20, 2017, 16:51:51

Previous topic - Next topic

playniax

You can now play Revengestar in a browser ( I recommend desktop ) if downloading the game is to much trouble: http://www.playniax.com/games/Revengestar/Revengestar.html

Steve Elliott

Sorry mate but I think this is a bad move, I got bored of waiting for it to load.  Browsers should be for browsing the internet imo - not waiting for games to load and run (poorly) compared to downloaded games.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Holzchopf

Took a while to load here and with that I mean like 10s overall. And I don't think this kind of game does not suit browser gaming. But yeah, when it comes to browser games I guess less data is more. As you can see, people can gen bored of waiting for all assets to be loaded  ;)

But it runs fine on my 6yr old machine with Win7 in Opera. Could not second Steves opinion about it running poorly. Looks good and is very playable. Maybe start it "paused" so the player sees the description first.

Steve Elliott

Could not second Steves opinion about it running poorly.

HTML games will always run poorly in comparison to downloaded native games, like I said, I gave up waiting for it to load; so never ran it.
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

chalky

Just downloaded the Android version. It's one tricky little blighter to control on my S8+ - I gave up trying after dying within 30 seconds for the umpteenth time.

It's technically VERY impressive however - just a shame I'm so rubbish at playing games like this...

Derron

Loading (asset + startup) was about 3 seconds (250mbit connection - remote far from reaching that limit).

Think for impatient people it might be a good solution to have some animation/loading-game-tips during that phase of asset loading/initializaton.

bye
Ron

STEVIE G

Quote from: Derron on April 20, 2018, 21:11:39
Loading (asset + startup) was about 3 seconds (250mbit connection - remote far from reaching that limit).

Think for impatient people it might be a good solution to have some animation/loading-game-tips during that phase of asset loading/initializaton.

bye
Ron

Come on Derron, that's nit picky in the extreme.  Who on earth cares about a 3 s load?

Derron

I did not nitpick - I did not "blame" that loading time. I just responded as Holzchopf mentioned 10s loading time and for Steve Elliot loading time was too long. I mean, 3 seconds - some burps are longer than that. In other words: I wanted to say that loading time was more than ok - and if you really want to make it feel "more snappier loading", then add some animation or do background loading for the last assets (eg. sound could get loaded "deferred" and is then played if available).

bye
Ron

Steve Elliott

Who on earth cares about a 3 s load?

Guys this time I waited for the game to load - 3 MINUTES!  Not everybody has fast internet.
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

playniax

It is weird. The game is only 20MB! That is including all those shiny graphics and nice music.

Anyway, I just offer this as a choice. You can still download the PC or Android version who are bigger at this time because the music for those are still in wave format. I will change this to ogg files asap.

Thanks for the feedback and now enjoy the game play if it is your cup of tea... :)

iWasAdam

graphics were lovely
no user interaction on my ipad - so a fail there
whats with the banner at the bottom - doesn't look good imho. I first thought it was covering up something

playniax

Ah, forgot to mention. Touch probably won't work in the browser yet anyway but I did recommend desktop :)

Anybody else think the banner doesn't look good? It's an ad. You click on it and I get very rich... :)

Derron

@ Adam
You need to click/tap on one of your shiny alien ships - and from then on you move it with your mouse (but it seems to be "offset" somehow here - or kind of "lagging behind"). Think for mobile devices that input style could become tedious ("swiping" your finger around the device screen).

bye
Ron

playniax

QuoteThink for mobile devices that input style could become tedious.

No mobile works just fine. For the browser version I still need to find a solution for a virtual mouse like the desktop version has but emscripten seems not to support changing the position of the mouse so I gave up for now.

playniax

OK, so here is a DEMO of Dumbot, our upcoming mobile game but you can play it in your browser now ( yeah I know :) and I recommend again for desktop!

This game is actually made for mobile and all you have to do is tap ( or mouse click ) at the right time.

THIS IS NOT A FINISHED PROJECT YET!

It was on hold for a moment but I have returned to work on it. Still some bugs and rough around the edges but good enough to share. Some bugs include getting stuck in the walls and game reset not working like it should and more bugs I won't mention now. The Dumbot assets are for sale and you can purchase them at https://playniax.itch.io/ for your own platformer if you like.

I think it is a fun game: http://www.playniax.com/games/Dumbot/Dumbot.html

Both Revengestar and Dumbot are made with Monkey2 / Pyro btw...