Suggest enhancements to the Monkey Language

Started by MikeHart, June 12, 2017, 21:09:52

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeHart

As we want to fix/enhance Monkey, we would like to hear what you would like to see regarding its language. What do you miss in Monkey X. Please raise your voice.

GW

This is just thinking out loud, but..
Monogame (now run by Microsoft) currently is and aims to be api compatible with XNA.
If we could keep the XNA target as a monogame target, that could potentially open up another way to build desktop, android and ios app through Monkey.
With the added benefit that MS is keeping things current as Android/Ios changes versions through time.
Thoughts?
I always preferred XNA as the desktop monkey target because the build times near instantaneous.

muruba

EdzUp

One of the main things that everyone will need to have fixed is ipv6 support as ipv4 is dying out and it's needed for multiplayer stuff :)

Xaron

Edzup I agree, but hasn't Mark done that already? Seems not... :/

EdzUp

MX2 has ipv6 if MonkeyX1 has it it would help A LOT :)

Currently MonkeyX1 is ipv4 only (tested with the echo server banana example, changing 'localhost' to '::1' for testing), on MX2 this works perfectly and does everything perfect.

Xaron

Xaron

Don't you need a xbox devkit then? Don't know. One of my goals would be to add UWP.

RonTek

Yes, but I was thinking a ready made target like the depreciated ones that I see in the targets folder (ie PSM, XNA, etc..) The UWP would be another nice target of course. :)

Xaron

Step after step. ;) I still wrap my head around all this stuff.  :o

RonTek

Quote from: Xaron on June 20, 2017, 14:08:24
Step after step. ;) I still wrap my head around all this stuff.  :o

Ok got it. It's just on my wishlist. ;)

RonTek

Quote from: GW on June 13, 2017, 00:16:41
This is just thinking out loud, but..
Monogame (now run by Microsoft) currently is and aims to be api compatible with XNA.
If we could keep the XNA target as a monogame target, that could potentially open up another way to build desktop, android and ios app through Monkey.
With the added benefit that MS is keeping things current as Android/Ios changes versions through time.
Thoughts?
I always preferred XNA as the desktop monkey target because the build times near instantaneous.

MonoGame also comes with UWP and XBox One target platform. :)

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/get-started/get-started-tutorial-game-mg2d