JIT compiler for AGK

Started by Pfaber11, February 20, 2021, 09:37:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Pfaber11

I was thinking and I bet The Game Creators could develop a JIT compiler for AGK . Would make it about 10 times faster and I bet it would work with mobile too. They must of thought about it . Would be a worthwhile upgrade. I understand that most people think that AGK is fast enough but the faster the better in my opinion . I understand that 60 frames per second is fast enough and on a modern PC this is acheivable . On my old laptop I was lucky to get 20 fps on some of my games . The only reason for me to upgrade to Studio is for Vulkan but from what's been said here it's no faster and speed equals power. I would probably be better off with PB in terms of brute force however trying to get back into it was a nightmare but not the case for AGK as the syntax is so nice and easier to pick up . Thoughts anyone ?
HP 15s i3 1.2 upto 3.4 ghz 128 gb ssd 16 gb ram 15.6 inch screen. Windows 11 home edition .  2Tb external hard drive dedicated to Linux Mint .
  PureBasic 6 and AppGameKit studio
ASUS Vivo book 15 16gb ram 256gb storage  cpu upto 4.1 ghz

Pfaber11

Well I've introduced terrain moving balls and some ray casting and am getting 120 fps plenty fast enough . I eat my words. Not to mention the fact it'll run on android which is a huge bonus . Does studio work on Linux I'm not too bothered but the more the merrier.
HP 15s i3 1.2 upto 3.4 ghz 128 gb ssd 16 gb ram 15.6 inch screen. Windows 11 home edition .  2Tb external hard drive dedicated to Linux Mint .

Pfaber11

This morning I created some terrain 2048x2048 to use as a height map . Anyway I was struggling to get 20 fps . I resized the .png file to 64x64
and am now getting 120+ fps . I didn't realize that the bigger the original .png file the slower it all ran . I now realize why my old maze games ran so slowly . I'll put it down to experience.
Keeping the size of the .png file 64x64 and set the terrain in the app to 512x512 and I still get 120+ fps . I'm quite impressed with this and wish I had realised this a couple of years ago . Anyway it appears AGK2 Classic is pretty damned good and plenty fast enough for my needs . I have a question and in the documentation it goes on about bones what is this bones they speak of ? What are they about . I feel like an idiot asking but would be happy if someone could please explain thank you .

ThickO

3D makes my head hurt...

Pfaber11

Well I looked up bones and it's something to do with annimation . Anybody out there used bones and can explain how it works? 

TomToad

bones are nodes with vertices attached to them.  When you rotate or move a bone, the corresponding vertices move with them.  The nodes have a parent/child structure, so when you move one node, all it's children (plus attached vertices) move along with it.  If you were to draw lines between the node, it would look like a skeleton,  hence the term "bones".

edit: Picture is from https://blogs.unity3d.com/2019/05/14/introducing-the-animation-rigging-preview-package-for-unity-2019-1/
------------------------------------------------
8 rabbits equals 1 rabbyte.

blinkok

They also use bones in their 2D animations which you can import from spine animations (very old versions only apparently)

if you're interested in 3D bone animations you can use mixamo to create walk cycles and all kinds of animations

https://www.mixamo.com/

Pfaber11

Thanks for that. very interesting . Gonna have to take an in depth look at bones .