Return to coding.

Started by Pfaber11, February 20, 2021, 08:19:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Pfaber11

Hi guys just put my first lines of code down after a year off . Seem to of forgotten quite a bit and am starting with AGK classic and am really hoping with my new laptop I should get a good FPS count. I will invest in Studio if I see it on offer from steam as my computer now supports Vulkan although you guys are saying classic is faster. I had a look at some of my PureBasic stuff and just can't get into it right now . I find PB a bit quirky in some ways like start drawing stop drawing although I might give it another go at some point . AGK makes more sense to me right now and to a point I feel at home . After my break from programming I seem to of forgotten a fair bit . I really wish I had done an hour a week just so I would of kept this stuff fresh in my mind . Although I'm not exactly starting from scratch the longer I left it the more daunting a task it became . Speed is still king to me although now I'm on a faster machine things should work a lot better . Really wish I could afford Studio and if I see it on offer for about 30 quid I will buy it . It feels good to be back in the driving seat after such a long break and I intend to get at least one game finished this year . Just getting some small demos done right now to refresh my coding skills . So far just got a couple of sprites moving about and detecting hits . I think the AGK syntax is still awesome and in that respect it is faster to develop in compared to PB. Have a nice day.
HP 15s i3 1.2 upto 3.4 ghz 128 gb ssd 16 gb ram 15.6 inch screen. Windows 11 home edition .  2Tb external hard drive dedicated to Linux Mint .
  PureBasic 6 and AppGameKit studio
ASUS Vivo book 15 16gb ram 256gb storage  cpu upto 4.1 ghz

Baggey

Ive been coding on and off and every time i sit down at the computer it's like im reinventing the wheel so to speak. Although the older im getting the longer it take's to learn thing's new.

That's why i like a Basic syntax. Even thou when i sit down to code i have to remember what i was doing! That's why BASIC is good.

Ive bought AGK and it seemed very good at the time. But i can't seem to find any code to help me with altering pixels on the fly. I test a language's speed or wether it's going to be any good by how many pixel's it can alter on the fly with a minimum of 70hz a second Frame rate. It's like trying to create OLD Colour TV static on the fly.

As im into retro Emulation if you can't Emulate let's say TV static in colour in at least 76,800 pixels within at least 70Hz it's just not going to be fast enough. I tried PB but never got the hang off it.

The best language ive used is PlayBasic but Speed just let it down as it wasn't Compiled to PC machine code.

I eventually find Blitzmax 1.5 which is excellent and they move again!? Why not improve something that's good already!?

It's like i love XP Proffesional and im using Windows 10 now! Why can't i have Windows XP with windows 10 modern features. May be im getting set in my way's.

Et bonjour mon amie aussie.

Kind Regards Baggey
Running a PC that just Aint fast enough!? i7 Quad core 16GB ram 1TB SSD and NVIDIA Quadro K620 . DID Technology stop! Or have we been assimulated!

ZX Spectrum 48k, C64, ORIC Atmos 48K, Enterprise 128K, The SID chip. Im Misunderstood!

Dabz

Off and on me... Few things just tinkering, basically when I can be arsed with it... Other hobbies have cropped up though, which over took programming, especially on sunny days, because I like to be out doing stuff, I worked the first two lockdowns, and, this one as well in the most part, away from home, though, when I'm at the PC, 'm sorting that side of stuff as well so when I do open an IDE it's like "urghhh!" :D

Amazing really, back in the day when I thought I had no time I still had the energy to make time, now, it seems I might have the time but the energy just isnt there and I just want to park my arse and sit and watch crap on youTube! :D lol

But like I say, I havent stopped completely, its just I havent got that drive anymore, once upon a time if a niggle popped up, or I needed to work something out, I'd be at it like a concrete breaker until I'd cracked it, up until stupid hours in the morning, grab a handful of sleep, go to work the next day, rinse and repeat, now it's "I'll looks at that later"... 3 weeks later, still havent touched it! :D

I even remember when I woke up one morning at the PC after an all day session on the drink and I must of decided to do a bit when I was minging, lol, you should of seen the clip, totally mangled, but hey, thats how keen I was, and I had no issue going back over fixing my drunken logic either! :P

So yeah, I'm putting it down to age really, only excuse I have to be fair, but like I say, still tinkering, hopefully get at least one of my little thingys done because it will be handy for work, so, that there will keep the interest going, and interest is needed as the client side is written in B4J, server side is PHP (Which I hate with a passion, but hey hoo, it is pretty much the best tool out there for that sort of stuff, so, I've got to suck it up), MySQL to boot which now the database is turning into a juggle, all talking to each other, and when it's a certain point in B4J, I'll then be porting it to B4A and B4i, its growing into quite the monster, but, I've still got it on a leash... Just, but because of that, I'm easily side tracked!!! :D

I could of made it all the more easy if I planned everything prior, especially the database, that just keeps on growing as I develop... But, thats the proper way to do it... And... Pfffttttt! :P

Dabz
Intel Core i5 6400 2.7GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (8GB), 16Gig DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Windows 10 64bit

Baggey

Quote from: Dabz on February 20, 2021, 19:37:43
Off and on me... Few things just tinkering, basically when I can be arsed with it... Other hobbies have cropped up though, which over took programming, especially on sunny days, because I like to be out doing stuff, I worked the first two lockdowns, and, this one as well in the most part, away from home, though, when I'm at the PC, 'm sorting that side of stuff as well so when I do open an IDE it's like "urghhh!" :D

Amazing really, back in the day when I thought I had no time I still had the energy to make time, now, it seems I might have the time but the energy just isnt there and I just want to park my arse and sit and watch crap on youTube! :D lol

But like I say, I havent stopped completely, its just I havent got that drive anymore, once upon a time if a niggle popped up, or I needed to work something out, I'd be at it like a concrete breaker until I'd cracked it, up until stupid hours in the morning, grab a handful of sleep, go to work the next day, rinse and repeat, now it's "I'll looks at that later"... 3 weeks later, still havent touched it! :D

I even remember when I woke up one morning at the PC after an all day session on the drink and I must of decided to do a bit when I was minging, lol, you should of seen the clip, totally mangled, but hey, thats how keen I was, and I had no issue going back over fixing my drunken logic either! :P

So yeah, I'm putting it down to age really, only excuse I have to be fair, but like I say, still tinkering, hopefully get at least one of my little thingys done because it will be handy for work, so, that there will keep the interest going, and interest is needed as the client side is written in B4J, server side is PHP (Which I hate with a passion, but hey hoo, it is pretty much the best tool out there for that sort of stuff, so, I've got to suck it up), MySQL to boot which now the database is turning into a juggle, all talking to each other, and when it's a certain point in B4J, I'll then be porting it to B4A and B4i, its growing into quite the monster, but, I've still got it on a leash... Just, but because of that, I'm easily side tracked!!! :D

I could of made it all the more easy if I planned everything prior, especially the database, that just keeps on growing as I develop... But, thats the proper way to do it... And... Pfffttttt! :P

Dabz

Ive tried BJ4 as well. It even had a Zx Spectrum Emulator but the forum is as help full as "BORIS JOHNSON MAKING A DECISON"  :)) It just dosent work or make sence!

On the Last Lock Down i was swimming coves and Snorkeling in some places i just shoud'nt of been but ive found some great remote places to chill in thou! May be ill take my Laptop to code in the Evening's That's if the Miss's dosent want an early night! :)) Still i still have the W*r*d W*de Wa*K!

Kind Regards Baggey
Running a PC that just Aint fast enough!? i7 Quad core 16GB ram 1TB SSD and NVIDIA Quadro K620 . DID Technology stop! Or have we been assimulated!

ZX Spectrum 48k, C64, ORIC Atmos 48K, Enterprise 128K, The SID chip. Im Misunderstood!

Pakz

@gfk My mother just released her first poetry book through a publisher. She's 70 years old! The publisher(a dutch one / boekscout.nl) has no costs up front and after for the writer. They print the book(s) when it gets ordered.
The difficult part was getting every spelling and writing rule right. At the end the book went to friends of friends who are academics and they removed the last mistakes. Getting pictures for the cover and the writer was also problematic as this required pro! level pictures. Oh, and she was required to get a mailing list of at least 40 people who agree to recieve a one time mail from the publisher with a advert of the book. There is/was a personal contact at the publisher who helps out.

The publisher expects the writer to do things to get the book sold. They supply Flyers and posters. But there are no penalties for doing to little.

Coding:
I'm working on recreating a space type mining/shooter game to Godot. Godot script is not fast but it does the job. The Godot editor is quite complex and without tutorials I would have not gotten into it.

RemiD

i have more time in 2021, so back to coding, but only a few hours each day, rather for the challenge to achieve wanted results, to solve problems, than as a way to earn money.

always rewarding to achieve results / solve problems, that nobody has, before me. :D

Dabz

Writing a bit of young adult fiction at the moment, see how that goes.

One of Laura's relations won the Booker prize a few years ago, this fella:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DBC_Pierre

Eeeeee, what a bloke mind, the stories I've heard... Had a bit of a drug issue and that, pulled himself round now, but, jesus... Still loves a drink, he did a documentary on the Aztecs for Channel 4, and he's got this bloke following him around with a carrier bag full of beers! :D lol Funniest thing ever, proper full on documentary and there he is, swigging away with a random behind him feeding him cans from a carrier!!! :D lol

Wouldn't see David Attenborough doing that in the middle of the Amazon quaffing a bottle of sherry! :D

Dabz
Intel Core i5 6400 2.7GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (8GB), 16Gig DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Windows 10 64bit

Pfaber11

Well I tried to pick up PB again but it's just too quirky after no coding at all for 12 months so decided to either give up or try AGK2 again and it really is a great language . Much better on my new computer too. Been at it a couple of days and really enjoying it . Wish I had made the decision
to get back to it 6 months ago and also should of done just an hour a week so as not to forget. Just worked out how the virtual resolution works and it really is a nice feature . Not sure how fast AGK is really but I like it better than Python . Have a nice evening .
Sorry about repeating some of the stuff I wrote earlier . Spent a couple of hours on ray casting this afternoon and have now nailed it . Managed to cram it onto one line . The example was helpful but did it my way and it works great.
  if  objectraycast(2,getobjectx(1),getobjecty(1),getobjectz(1),getobjectx(2),getobjecty(2),getobjectz(2)) <> 0
Well there it is I don't think it's original but it was for me . Plenty of room to fine tune it too. Well that's two things I've got down in the last 2 days. All my previous games written in AGK2 were done using a guys code to detect collisions  off of the AGK official forum and it looked like spaghetti and about 20 lines long . It was crazy but it worked. The way I'm doing it now is way better and easy to do . Good evening and sorry for rambling on.

HP 15s i3 1.2 upto 3.4 ghz 128 gb ssd 16 gb ram 15.6 inch screen. Windows 11 home edition .  2Tb external hard drive dedicated to Linux Mint .
  PureBasic 6 and AppGameKit studio
ASUS Vivo book 15 16gb ram 256gb storage  cpu upto 4.1 ghz

3DzForMe

Yeah, I also like AGK2, although time to code has been a little tuff of late. Vote +1 for AGK2 nevertheless  :D
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1