Ooops
March 05, 2021, 07:26:58 PM

Author Topic: Coding jobs and risk assessment  (Read 224 times)

Offline Matty

Coding jobs and risk assessment
« on: February 02, 2021, 01:56:34 AM »
How many of our world's important life and death software infrastructure was coded by teams with members under the influence of alcohol etc?

Just think next time you get on a plane - the pilot's been tested but what about the developer who wrote the software telling the pilot of say the fuel levels?

Any complex machinery is only as strong as its weakest point....
I eat cheese in the trees when its eight degrees

Offline Derron

Re: Coding jobs and risk assessment
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 08:40:57 AM »
These software things are not developed my one-man-shows. Also they are testing such software a bit more intense than your "my first calculator.exe"

Issue there might be the chain of used stuff ... each element adds to complexity and the possibility of a "bug/error/production problem".
Yet this is why test (scenarios) exist. Cannot take care of all eventualities but major cases and all "past accident cases" are surely taken care of.

bye
Ron

Offline col

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 09:32:16 AM »
I started to ignore most of your posts when you were asking for and ignoring peoples advice but I'll bite this time...

How many of our world's important life and death software infrastructure was coded by teams with members under the influence of alcohol etc?

Zero.

There are VERY stringent coding guidelines for these types of systems. There are automated static code analysis software to check the code meets the guidelines before it's even compiled. There is a monitoring system checking if you steer outside the guidelines, and if you do, then something will be said by your line manager. There are many levels of code testing and checking. The same goes for the hardware too. There are multiple sensors getting the same information in case one is starting to give up, and multiple types of sensor doing the same thing - in case one type is affected by a certain type of technological interference - there are backups for the backups.

Anyway for the software it's very difficult to get something badly written accepted into production. If something negative does get through then there's a huge internal inquiry and people get disciplined/fired - in other words, software engineers that value their worth in their job don't write software under the influence of anything.
To be is to be perceived.

https://github.com/davecamp

Offline GfK

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 09:39:08 AM »
I started to ignore most of your posts when you were asking for and ignoring peoples advice but I'll bite this time...

Zero.

There are VERY stringent coding guidelines for these types of systems. There are automated static code analysis software to check the code meets the guidelines before it's even compiled. There is a monitoring system checking if you steer outside the guidelines, and if you do, then something will be said by your line manager. There are many levels of code testing and checking. The same goes for the hardware too. There are multiple sensors getting the same information in case one is starting to give up, and multiple types of sensor doing the same thing - in case one type is affected by a certain type of technological interference - there are backups for the backups.

Anyway for the software it's very difficult to get something badly written accepted into production. If something negative does get through then there's a huge internal inquiry and people get disciplined/fired - in other words, software engineers that value their worth in their job don't write software under the influence of anything.

I've literally just put him on ignore - sick of reading his attention-seeking nonsense.  I'm all for a bit of bants but this is not that.  It's bullshit conspiracy theories - the sort of crap that leads to knobheads burning down 5G masts because they think that's where coronavirus is getting in.
Intel I9-9900K 3.6-5.0GHz | GeForce RTX2070 8GB | 32GB RAM | 500GB NVMe M.2 SSD | 1TB HDD | Windows 10 x64.
MSI Apache Pro | I7-7700HQ | GeForce GTX1060 3GB | 8GB RAM | 128GB SSD | 1TB HDD | Windows 10 x64.

Offline Qube

• Administrator
  • I mostly code at night... Mostly.
    • SyntaxBomb - Indie Coders
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2021, 10:05:03 AM »
@matty no more of these types of threads. First and last warning.
Mac mini ( 2018 / 2020 ), 3 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, 1TB NVMe, eGPU Radeon Pro 580 8 GB, LG Ultragear 27GL83A-B 27 Inch
Mac mini (2020 ), M1 SoC, 8 GB LPDDR4, 512GB NVMe 
Commodore VIC-20, 1.1Mhz MOS 6502 CPU, 5KB RAM, VIC ( 6560 ) GPU

Until the next time.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal