start your engines

Started by iWasAdam, January 30, 2021, 07:47:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Derron

Do not forget to disable texture filtering on your UI ... else you end up having "pixel stairs" in your 3d and also the pixel fonts (1,2,3 in your screen).

Also I would assume it might be worth to check if "drop shadows" could use faked alphas (dithering).

The pixel size of 3D differs to the "pixels" you try to visualize in the fonts (blockish outline VS slight pixel displacement because of rotation/skewing).

TL/DR: Different pixel size in "3d", "pixelated fonts" and UI.

bye
Ron

iWasAdam

QuoteDo not forget to disable texture filtering on your UI ... else you end up having "pixel stairs" in your 3d and also the pixel fonts (1,2,3 in your screen).

Nope - MUST be enabled I WANT to see all the pixels :)

Derron

Seems I missed something in my sentence.

I meant: the 3d has pixel stairs, your 1,2,3-font thing has stairs - but your UI is "smooth" and does not have stairs (see top left logo).

Else the "disable texture filtering" (so bilinear smoothing etc) would not make much sense :-)
-> disable the smoothing for the billbord images
-> avoid smooth fonts in your prepared images ("logo") and consider dithering for shadows

If you still insist on using alpha shadows - maybe you can remember the hint I gave you once for "less smooth" shadows (was about your Axonite-Logo) - use the corresponding configuration in Photoshop (or whatever you use) to add some "dirt" to your shadows.
edit: https://www.syntaxbomb.com/index.php/topic,8095.msg347045567.html#msg347045567

bye
Ron

blinkok

I think what they are saying is the sprint 77 logo is AA (As are the shadows on the checkers)

I figure they are just placeholders

iWasAdam

There is a very define reason for the pixels - the output size is very low 400x200 of the top of my head

blinkok

Even at 400x200 the differnce is still apparent. It's your puppy, you do what you want with it

Derron

I am still not sure if Adam is misunderstanding us.

There is a difference between art styles:
- smooth logo (antialiased inside - and with smooth alpha shadows outside)
- flat but shaded 3D polygons without anti-aliasing
- the texts like "1,2,3" which have some blocky outline (big pixel-style) and without anti-aliasing

If you now render all this stuff at 400x200 the logo will still have this smoth "antialiased inside" - maybe it is less visible if you had no filter enabled for the texture then. This is why I asked you to disable if (if it was enabled). Also the alpha shadow outside of the logo will still be "smooth" (albeit with a visible stepping in opacity decrease - as it has less pixels for "full to none").

I somehow assume that certain effects are "relative" and not "fixed" - so eg the blocky outline of the "1,2,3" will scale down once rendered at 400x200 (while the inside becomes more blocky - see the small stair-effect _now_ at high res).

As blinkok wrote it is your decision and you surely have a plan, so just see it as a "opinion" of us other folks.

bye
Ron

blinkok

Dithered shadows would be so cool

iWasAdam

hmmm. it could be done...  :o

iWasAdam

and.... it is...  8)
It's difficult to see, but if you look at directly under each main car you can see the dithered shadows.
Slightly more subtle than before but it's there. All other suggestions taken care of too ;)

iWasAdam

the winner gets to design their own helmet...  :P

LineOf7s

Is the aspect ratio of the instances in split-screen on the list of things to do... or am I just being picky?   :)
"Life's biggest obstacles are your greatest opportunities to excel"

iWasAdam

I know what you mean about the aspect ratio. (Shhh don't tell any one)

I'm looking into it and will move it up today to see what can be done about it ;)

Good call on the aspect ratio - results:

STEVIE G

Much better!  A couple of thing I've noticed. The guy on the podium looks like he'd use the cars as roller skates, he should be much smaller. Also, tires clipping the barrier.  ;D

LineOf7s

Very nice.  Much longer view distance too, which makes racing around an unfamiliar track easier.

Looking forward to seeing it in motion.  :)
"Life's biggest obstacles are your greatest opportunities to excel"