start your engines

Started by iWasAdam, January 30, 2021, 07:47:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Dabz

I'm actually looking forward to having a go of this when its eventually done! :)

Dabz
Intel Core i5 6400 2.7GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (8GB), 16Gig DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Windows 10 64bit

STEVIE G

I remember reading that Sprint 2 used a vector flow diagram for AI pathfinding, rather than waypoints. Link below.

https://hackaday.com/2016/04/28/forty-year-old-arcade-game-reveals-secrets-of-robot-path-planning/

RemiD

I tried to create a racing game in the past, and for the AI, i cheated : i used waypoints recorded when the player drives (previous laps). it was convincing enough...

Matty

That's good RemiD.

Ai only needs to fool the player it can play the game.  It doesn't actually need to be intelligent.

blinkok

QuoteI remember reading that Sprint 2 used a vector flow diagram for AI pathfinding, rather than waypoints
That's amazing. Is that what you use?

iWasAdam

QuoteAi only needs to fool the player it can play the game.  It doesn't actually need to be intelligent.
Excellent statement ;)

In design and mechanics you have "it is irrelevant 'how' you did it, just that you did it"
Elegance, speed, optimisations can be added later...

Steve Elliott

I remember reading that Sprint 2 used a vector flow diagram for AI pathfinding, rather than waypoints. Link below.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Ai only needs to fool the player it can play the game.  It doesn't actually need to be intelligent.

Yep, very true.  Over engineering your code to cover every scenario is going to be slower and more complicated than it needs to be - just make it simple and efficient for this particular game.

Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

STEVIE G

Quote from: blinkok on February 01, 2021, 09:32:18
QuoteI remember reading that Sprint 2 used a vector flow diagram for AI pathfinding, rather than waypoints
That's amazing. Is that what you use?

Van Tourisimo has an automatic way point system, no manual placement, with speeds calculated based on bends previous and future to the section your in. It also calculated multiple racelines offset from the optimum for variety. The cars could swap between race lines at any point. Polymaniacs used pre calculated vector flow hybrid system with all sorts of weighting for obstacle avoidance.

I agree though - whatever gets the job done is best.

iWasAdam

the vector cloud concept is a simple way to get great results - no collision, but it's the fun factor you are wanting ;)

been tweaking (twerking?) and slightly expanded the play area, so I could have crash borders. Also been sorting out collision and avoidance systems, plus secondary waypoints:

AI cars will now try their best to navigate around each other, avoid oil, crash.

Green and grey cars crashed!

iWasAdam

iWasAdam

Now with classic mode:

Lowered the speed of the AI cars and increased your speed, and suddenly it's got the "flap me sideways' feel. 'Must have another go and beat the shit out of it'

iWasAdam

iWasAdam

and for something slightly different:

This is the 2600 version.
Chunkier graphics, different gameplay, etc. Cars can go over the edges and reappear on the other side. But still the basic racing game.

Suddenly you can appreciate the skill of the original programmers with 1k of memory, no high level compilers, or resources, etc.  8)

Xerra

You should try doing some of this stuff with TRSE, Adam. Use some conditional compiling triggers and you could be putting these kind of games out on loads of different retro machines, not just the usual OSX/Win/Linux.
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/