Wonkey

Started by iWasAdam, January 03, 2021, 07:18:48

Previous topic - Next topic

iWasAdam

I thought I'd tease you a bit with this  :o

Wonkey - what monkey2 should have been. collecting all the forks and uniting them...

Dabz

Interesting to see what youve been up too! :)

Dabz
Intel Core i5 6400 2.7GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (8GB), 16Gig DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Windows 10 64bit

degac

Hi

no doubt about your abilities and programming skills... but please, change immediately the name  ;D!

Wonkey... seems like a name of a snack, the guys of Willy Wonka and so on.
Monkey (and Monkey2) 'stink'... this one is worse! (personally speacking!)

In any case, if you make something that runs 'out of the box' (=no needs to have a PhD to install N-thousands libraries, tools and so on) it could be interesting (I'm still a BlitzMax-Inside user... too easy open, type & run environment!)
If there's a problem, there's at least one solution.
www.blitzmax.org

iWasAdam

it's early days but sort of community effort based from a different form from mine - I need to integrate it <eek> but there are some very nice people who are willing to at least look over things. If it all goes well...  :o

And I got a vision:

Xaron

So merchandising already works. Nice.  :))

Seriously, good luck. I tend to agree with degac. The name Monkey was .... and Wonkey isn't better but that's up to you guys.

It would be indeed nice to have something that needs no additional tools installation and just works out of the box, I agree with degac again :)

Qube

Oo, very interesting. I hope you get to know it inside and out or else you'll run into the same problems you had with Monkey 1.

Name wise, funny but something people not knowing about its former life would just skip past.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

round157

Hi, if the offical forum of Wonkey is also at SyntaxBomb forum, it will be convenient for our members. Our members will not need to go to another place to read Wonkey's discussions. (Just like BlitzMax NG, SmallBASIC).

iWasAdam

Derron

if you want to emphasize on "basic", then use "letter + Basic".

https://www.fantasynamegenerators.com/software-names.php
Next to the OKish "Lumos Pro" it suggested "Ape Engine" :-)

bye
Ron

Dabz

If we're on about naming conventions, then yeah, Wonkey isnt great, I mean, its up to you really at the end of the day, but if I was floating about the internet, saw that, and not knowing the history of the thing, I wouldnt look into it further with much expectation, doesnt draw you in for a play so to speak... If its called Wonkey, then I'd automatically wonder why.

Maybe nick the name of my old project:-

https://sourceforge.net/projects/bamboobasic/

Or just "Bamboo", I picked that because, well, Bamboo rolls off the tongue, and, it is a natural building resource which you can build things from, pretty comfy and brings out visions of pwetty little panda's! :D

In all seriousness, around that word, you could build a nice little thing... Thats the thing I'd be looking for, it has more... Accessibility and is highly more marketable in terms of a brand then something that seems pissed! :D

My 2p

I've attached the icon as well...
Intel Core i5 6400 2.7GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (8GB), 16Gig DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Windows 10 64bit

Xaron

Honestly I wouldn't put the name Basic into it because it's not a Basic language at all.

round157

Quote from: Xaron on January 05, 2021, 08:59:39
Honestly I wouldn't put the name Basic into it because it's not a Basic language at all.

Ha, I agree with you. The name WBasic will mislead the public(or BASIC lovers).

iWasAdam

all points taken  ;D
Wonkey it is then  :-*

Dabz

iWasAdam

hehehehe.
it's actually a few of the old monkey2 tribe getting stuff together - so its not mine.

But I'm the first to combine my code into this new version.

Just been testing everything to see if I broke it - I didn't  ;)