What I've been up to... (Burny burny)

Started by Dabz, December 28, 2020, 14:47:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Dabz

My first real endeavour into the world of molten metal! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bL-ya7SUH4

Done this over the last couple of days, playing nice! :)

Dabz
Intel Core i5 6400 2.7GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (8GB), 16Gig DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Windows 10 64bit

Dabz

lol, well, I have had it going a couple of times, but never been able to have the time or energy to start "something" worth while, and from them bits of playing, picked up odds and sods to help make it less "oh fucking hell!" :D lol

Gonna take me ages to do a chess set and the board, its the dressing up of the buggering things, but, whats in my minds eye, should look nice on the dining room table I havent bought yet because I'm also doing the house up! :D

Dabz
Intel Core i5 6400 2.7GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (8GB), 16Gig DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Windows 10 64bit

Kryzon

Really nice video, explains well. 
I would've probably lazied it out and painted the 3D prints with a metallic spray paint already and called it a day -- maybe carving them from the bottom to insert some clay or heavy material to give them some weight, if they felt too light.

Qube

Gloves? you wuss bucket ;D - Nice video, there's just something about molten metal that's captivating ( probably the kid in me ).

Are you planning on doing a full series of your ventures as it's cool to see?

Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Steve Elliott

Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

iWasAdam

Excellent. What I liked was the initial design and printing using uber modern tech and then moving everything to casting in old skool tech.
Well done on both fronts and can't wait to see the everything finished :)

Derron

Best parst is the "makeshift buffer" - people need to be creative :)

Think a "Dremel" would do well there too ... uses less space and can be tightened well too.

I started to print some chess figurines last year too - egyptian vs undead egyptians. Of course they are so detailed that moulding and molding would not work - else they would surely look gorgeous in metal - instead of "old teeth" (better name it elephant tooth :)) color which I had to choose.
That "Bauhaus chess" style is ... not one I would favour but I understand that it is easier to create these instead of these "fine detailed" ones.

Do not burn yourself or set the house on fire.

bye
Ron

3DzForMe

Loving the skill of hand there Dabz - Kool and the Gang project ;)
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

Dabz

I would've probably lazied it out and painted the 3D prints with a metallic spray paint already and called it a day -- maybe carving them from the bottom to insert some clay or heavy material to give them some weight, if they felt too light.

Well, that would work, but, you'd end up with the inevitable chips and that, and in my minds eye, I dont think they'd age very well... Whereas, I think, using aluminium, with oxidization and all that, you get a bit of real aging on the setup, all builds a bit of character! :)

Best parst is the "makeshift buffer" - people need to be creative

People seem to love that for some reason, but, it's just a spin off when I cut threaded round bar or something along them lines like a bolt if its too long when I'm not near the workshop at work... I put pieces in a drill, set it away and just stand there with a hacksaw, no sawing action needed! Bone idle! ;) hehehe

That "Bauhaus chess" style is ... not one I would favour but I understand that it is easier to create these instead of these "fine detailed" ones.

I was going to go the parametric styleeeee setup, thats pretty symmetric, more detail, but, this is new to me really, there will be tricks and all that which I'll learn when I go, but ultimately at the minute, its simple, no grief, so obvious choice, and I think it'll look really good when all the bits are finished and sitting on the board I'm planning... So for now, I'm making sure I just win the battle between concave and convex in how I put a pattern in the green sand, get something wrong, and taking the pattern out will pop the sand because something has a cheeky "inner" [or outer] part which obviously, the sand keys too! :)

Do not burn yourself or set the house on fire.

Lol, I'll try my hardest not too... Cannot promise anything mind! ;) hehehe

Are you planning on doing a full series of your ventures as it's cool to see?

Yeah, I've got a few ideas in my head, this chess set thing will take a while, part two will be the board, but thats a bit off yet, gotta get these pieces done before I move on... One side will be aluminium as you can see, which represents white, so another 14 of them to do (I've molded the queen), and then move onto the side representing black, which will be made with brass.

Only problem I've got is this bloody weather, I wont burn the forge indoors, not even in my shed, there was a load of slag came out of them scrap aluminium bits, which in a former life were pistons on smoke vents on the roof tops of the Nissan plant, not entirely sure what's mixed in with it from them, but they are indeed better off being done outside, and when it comes to brass, go a little hot hot and you have zinc coming off it, so, well ventilated areas only, and of course, rain, any kind of water V molten metal... Not good! :D

Cool project.

lol, that ignot mold wasnt cool when I was waving that about... That bloody handle was absolutely stotting hot on the second pour, hence, the extra glove wrapped around until I got the ignot out... Proper ouchy ouchy! :D

Loving the skill of hand there Dabz

Well, if you look at some of my other videos, I was quite enjoying the wood turning, few disasters with that, but enjoying none the less... I like a bit of wood work, but, the more I was getting into it, the more I was realizing the stuff I wanted to do, I was needing more equipment.. Like, I had a lathe and a bandsaw, that got me going... But then, I did need a table saw, and a planer/thicknesser if a definite, oh, and a compressor with a pressure pot when I wanted to use resin, router table would of been a nice touch

And the list just keeps on going, and, for one, I dont have the room for these things because bench space was at a premiem with just the lathe, bandsaw, bench grinder, vice and other odds and ends and I was just trapping myself in a corner, so chuck all that other stuff I mentioned, and well... Wasnt feasible... So, 3D printer and a forge... Tidy! :)

On the bonus side mind, TinkerCAD is also on iOS, so I use it on that, and I quite enjoy using that, reminds me of Maplet a little, feels more like I'm playing then building! :D hehehe

Anyhoo, aye, thanks for the feedback fella's, I know this is a programming website, but its appreciated you took the time for a looksy! :)

And whatever else I get up to, I'll plop the video here, because, well, I do enjoy the editing part of it as well! :D

Dabz

chalky

Excellent video - really enjoyed watching - nice project.

Dabz

Dabz

New one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvr8ZqPgvbY

Getting any decent impression with the pattern was something else, the video doesnt even show half of the attempts I did, thought I was never going to get one really good enough, but what I'm learning as well is, even though my impressions can be nigh-on spot on, the cast does need work post pour, unfortunately the detail required after a pour with this setup is hard, the metal is just too much and I havent got the means... So, overall, while I am pleased, the metal is just too hard afterwards to make it shine, not like aluminium.

Anyway, pretty interesting, molten brass is a bit naughty mind, oxidises very easily with the air, hence the green-blue copper sulfate you see, pretty energetic actually!

Which is cool, but rather iffy at the same time, oh, and it doesnt like a sudden drop in temperature too! :D hehehe

Dabz

ENAY

Wow that's awesome!
Make two more, hide all three in random locations, and then you're all set for a Resident Evil style puzzle somewhere inside your mansion. ;)

Dabz

Cheers Enay! :)

Make two more, hide all three in random locations, and then you're all set for a Resident Evil style puzzle somewhere inside your mansion. ;)

You've just give me an idea with that believe it or not! :D

Dabz

chalky

Incredible - your level of patience far exceeds mine - I'd have given up after the 2nd attempt!