What happened to Mark Sibly?

Started by fielder, December 22, 2020, 09:00:07

Previous topic - Next topic

fielder

I see that the webpages of Monkey2 are just a standard templates now (lost domain?)
there is new project that he was working on? ( and and i don't think was WasmBasic.. freezed about 1 year ago )

there is a chance that Mark can re-join his most successfull project ( Blitzmax ) ?

iWasAdam

Yep. And I'm visiting grandma for Xmas  :P

MikeHart

Uuuuu, I can see that Brucey would love this. A lot.

Quote from: fielder on December 22, 2020, 09:00:07
I see that the webpages of Monkey2 are just a standard templates now (lost domain?)
there is new project that he was working on? ( and and i don't think was WasmBasic.. freezed about 1 year ago )

there is a chance that Mark can re-join his most successfull project ( Blitzmax ) ?

Dabz

I heard he ran away with the milkman!

Dabz
Intel Core i5 6400 2.7GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (8GB), 16Gig DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Windows 10 64bit

Matty

Blitz languages had a good run.

Nothing lasts forever.

Steve Elliott

Nothing lasts forever.

Well yes, if the author ignores what his customers want!
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Dabz

"Nothing lasts forever."

I've heard MacDonalds burgers have had a good go though! ;)

Dabz
Intel Core i5 6400 2.7GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (8GB), 16Gig DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Windows 10 64bit

MikeHart

Quote from: Steve Elliott on December 23, 2020, 01:31:05

Nothing lasts forever.

Well, tell him that calmly on Twitter in 2017 got him calling me an Asshole and banning me.  :))  Guess he was very sensitive on that topic back then.

Steve Elliott

Nothing lasts forever.

Well, tell him that calmly on Twitter in 2017 got him calling me an Asshole and banning me.  :))  Guess he was very sensitive on that topic back then.

Haha, yes he would be very sensitive regards bugs and requests, and in the end very rarely went on the offical site to answer questions.

He would often add features and not fix bugs so for example, what was supposed to be a language that ran on Windows, MacOS and Linux, just became a Windows only language because it was broken on Mac and Linux!  And that was his best language!  BlitzMax.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Aurel [banned]

(Y)

Scaremonger

Wasm is Web Assembly, so I would hazard a guess that it would use basic to compile a portable application. I've read that it's possibly the next big thing so could be interesting, but I've not seen a specific wasmbasic myself.

angros47

Quote from: GfK on December 22, 2020, 12:40:54
And besides, given that everything he's ever created has ended up abandoned - and that's some accolade - my best guess would be no.

Well, not really abandoned. He at least released the source code of his works, when he lost interest in them, so they are not lost, and other people can still continue his job and support it.

Many other authors wouldn't have had such a care, and would have just destroyed the sources.
I admire what he did

3DzForMe

QuoteWell, not really abandoned. He at least released the source code of his works, when he lost interest in them, so they are not lost, and other people can still continue his job and support it.

Many other authors wouldn't have had such a care, and would have just destroyed the sources.
I admire what he did
Ditto  :o :D ;)

MonkeyX - lives on in Cerberus64
Blitz3D - still compiles nicely here thankyou - if it ain't broke it doesn't need fixing - I use that to do some 'grunt' programming that I don't have the 'mojo' to get my head around some stuff in AGK.  RemiD has something in the offing for the New Year.
Culling the blitzbasic forums was a shock though - at least Qube hosting them remnants here.

Blitzmax - haven't use it a while myself - however - let me compile within Linux (Within a virtual machine to boot).
Dip my toe into Monkey2 but my coding mojo was on the slide

BBasic2.1 - The language which I achieved the nigh on impossible with.... Last I checked it still compiled on my old Amiga.

Whatever he's up to, I wish him well for the next decade.
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

fielder

Quote from: angros47 on December 27, 2020, 00:14:14
I admire what he did
Yep.. but he switched from requesting a lot of money (this was the major issue of Blitzmax for me) to giving it completely free.... just sell it at 10$ to increase "population" of developers .. and maybe after 1 year give sources to everyone... i know a lot of people not buying Blitzmax just for the price...
BTW i think that the end of forum was the major issue for Blitzmax...

3DzForMe

Yeah, the forums vanishing was somewhat irksome, and the MonkeyX forum was a useful reference source.  I appreciate your point of view Gfk.

The Blitz products are a bit like my Honda Estate, was great while it lasted but at 170000 miles and needing yet another steering rack (courtesy of Lincolnshire's numerous potholes) - might be getting chucked in the bin.

Can 't say the same for Blitz3D though - spent far too many hours compiling there.

AGK is my goto tool of choice the now tbh.
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1