Are 2d games still a thing in 2020/21?

Started by Xaron, November 24, 2020, 15:14:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Xaron

Hi all,

controversy question but are 2d games still a thing and worth zu create? Not speaking of obvious ones like card games or match-3! Personally I'm a huge fan of games like FTL, Barotrauma and such. From a dev perspective many say that 2d games are easier to make but I hardly find that to be true, especially nowadays with engines like Unity where much of the work you had to do in earlier days is done already.

I really started to think about 2d vs 3d after seeing that game Hidden Deep here on the site which is very well done. I don't think I would ever considering playing such a game as a 3d title. Maybe that's because I grew up with 2d games and still think that it's just nice to let your imagination play some important role as well?

I wonder how the new generation of players sees that or is it just us oldies who are still playing and creating 2d games?

Steve Elliott

Pixel Art is very popular in games these days, so yes 2D games are still popular (you just have to look at Steam and Itch.io for examples).  Some games don't work as well in 3D, and if you do produce a 3D game then expectations are more inline with AAA 3D Games; so it's much harder to compete with a 3D Title than a pixel art casual game IMO.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

MikeHart

Quote from: Xaron on November 24, 2020, 15:14:43
Hi all,

controversy question but are 2d games still a thing and worth zu create? Not speaking of obvious ones like card games or match-3! Personally I'm a huge fan of games like FTL, Barotrauma and such. From a dev perspective many say that 2d games are easier to make but I hardly find that to be true, especially nowadays with engines like Unity where much of the work you had to do in earlier days is done already.

I really started to think about 2d vs 3d after seeing that game Hidden Deep here on the site which is very well done. I don't think I would ever considering playing such a game as a 3d title. Maybe that's because I grew up with 2d games and still think that it's just nice to let your imagination play some important role as well?

I wonder how the new generation of players sees that or is it just us oldies who are still playing and creating 2d games?

Absolutely, there are plenty of success stories from indie titles, even these days. It is all about the game/gameplay. Heck, if the gameplay is great, you can even present it in ASCII graphics. There is always a market for all style of games. Over polished 3D games, imho take away the imagination. For me it is more like watching an animated movie.
But that is just my personal preference. The 3D games I like have hand painted textures. The Blizzard style in Wow, WarCraft, Hearthstone is one of my favorite.

wookie22

Hello! My game (still WIP) gained over 5000 members on discord and over 20k Steam wishlists within 2 months so yes, people are still interested.
But I need to admit that I put a lot of work into this. I've been doing it for about 5 years and still not finished
Hidden Deep - 2D Action & Exploration Sci-Fi Thriller for PC/Mac/Linux
http://www.hiddendeepgame.com

Matty

Xaron

@Mike: Yeah my thinking exactly! :)

Quote from: wookie22 on November 24, 2020, 19:07:24
Hello! My game (still WIP) gained over 5000 members on discord and over 20k Steam wishlists within 2 months so yes, people are still interested.
But I need to admit that I put a lot of work into this. I've been doing it for about 5 years and still not finished

Your game looks just great and it will be a huge success, no doubt! Thanks for sharing your wishlist number which (again) proves that magic factor:
wishlist ~ number of group members * 4.5

MikeHart

But then... what this guy says is also very very true

Xaron

Oh yes Mike, that's so true. Been there as well and now much more realistic.  :))

You probably know that pretty well and we probably all know grey alien games:

Steve Elliott

Yeah Grey Alien Games are doing ok with their 2d games, but they're also playing it safe continually - no innovation.  So while it pays the bills (just) there is nothing original or quirky different.

Games like Shovel Knight, Limbo and Super Meat Boy are popular and different.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Xaron

Yeah, I wonder if he's still using BMax? (the original one)

Derron

Quote from: Xaron on November 27, 2020, 10:38:20

Yes.

Quote from: GreyAlien on April 10, 2020, 17:14:27
Thanks all. Check out the trailer on Steam if you want to see it in action. It's got some pretty cool effects. All done in my framework in BlitzMax vanilla! (last official release)
https://www.syntaxbomb.com/index.php/topic,7619.msg347041582.html#msg347041582

bye
Ron

Pingus

From time to time I play Tetris Effect... on my VR headset  ;D
A 2D game, created 40 years ago, played on a machine that is designed to simulate 3D worlds ! :))
And it is still fully enjoyable so I would say, yes, 2D games still means something.

Xerra

Quote from: Derron on November 27, 2020, 11:50:24
Quote from: Xaron on November 27, 2020, 10:38:20

Yes.

Actually I asked him about this the other day on Twitter and he said he's gone over to Unity to do something new but hasn't ditched Blitz as it would still be something he'd use for games like Match 3's that he already has the frameworks built for.
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/