Escape From Scunthorpe

Started by ENAY, November 23, 2020, 09:16:28

Previous topic - Next topic

ENAY

Not sure if anyone remembers Blitzcon 2003 in a Doncaster hotel somewhere where I first showed this game to the public in Blitz2D.
Well over 15 years later, I started it again from scratch in Unity.

It's still only about 60% complete though, a few more years of dev still left to go I think...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg8hDlj2MW4

blinkok

That looks awesome. How did you do the character animations?

STEVIE G

Magic! Pissing myself at the chat and animations. The Liam Gallagher character  :))

Steve Elliott

LMAO yeah I remember this crazy version of Narc.  Great stuff!   :))
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

ENAY

Basically I put a camera on a stand and then let it run while me or whoever does kicks and punchs (in slowish motion to help reduce blur) laying on the floor, walking etc. And then I look back at the movie and pause it at just the right moment for frames I am looking for.
Laboriously cutting out every single frame of animation is where the magic (tedium) starts.
I usually do it while watching a DVD or something.

Yes Dave I remember it was the first and only time me met, moving your car and after that checking out that guy's Back To The Future Delorean, I forgot which guy owned that car.
I think you turned up a bit late by which point most people had already finished their games and everyone had already started eating and drinking.

Honestly though, it's scary to think that was 18 years ago. Perhaps still at the end of final stand of the bedroom coder era, and before smartphones came along and ruined everything. lol

Anyway, it's been fun working on this, I have been super impressed by the voice samples that my friends and family have been coming up with. It was only supposed to be one voice for when you beat the boss, but people were sending me so many, I've been adding voices all over the place. When you join in, when you die, when you are on your final life, and of course the bosses have their own unique voice samples.

Back when I started this we had 8MB Voodoo Banshees and stuff like that. Now we have like 4-8GBs! Just for gfx cards. How times have changed...

iWasAdam

wot's going on ere then?
Fancy a bit o tea an sticky bun!

Matty

Qube

Lol, that looks crazy mad fun to play ;D
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

ENAY

Hey Matty, I still need to make the other 35% of the game.

Oh and I need to fix all the bugs, the game is still very buggy. I spotted 26 bugs in total and noted them down in the description of the video and with timestamps so I can look at them later.

I honestly don't know if I will ever be able to sell this game, I'm pretty sure unless it's on Steam or somewhere, there are going to be a lot of changes I have to make. Of course I cannot use any of the music. And is it legal to use the Scunthorpe Job Center etc (knocked down in 2004)

For now I just want to have it finished and do it how I want it to end up. Then I can think about what to change, if anything.

Maybe I will just give it away for free on Windows or something so it's not like I need to make any money off it. It's only something I am chipping away at after work, which is getting more difficult as my son gets older and able to walk around the place and start smashing things up.

Will have to see how time goes on. Due to all the Covid nonsense and not being able to go outside and do more filming / meet up with people and film then as bad guys etc, hasn't helped things a lot.

RemiD

very cool :)  (street of rage style !)

Basically I put a camera on a stand and then let it run while me or whoever does kicks and punchs (in slowish motion to help reduce blur) laying on the floor, walking etc. And then I look back at the movie and pause it at just the right moment for frames I am looking for.
Laboriously cutting out every single frame of animation is where the magic (tedium) starts.
i do a similar approach to capture key poses for 3d animations (from front, from back, from side), works well but time consuming to do, indeed.