Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Xerra

I remember that demo. It came with my brand new C64 kit that included the tape deck. Must have been near Xmas 1984 that I got that bad boy. I also had a plastic music keyboard that fitted on top and you could use this play along music program to key out notes from famous tunes.

The very first was a mostly basic set of programs that used the standard char set with a few sprites and cascading colours to knock up some scenes with simple music that educated you on some of the computer features. Wasn't particularly impressive but it was the first thing I loaded in my new computer excitement anyway just because it was in the box. I was already familiar with the machine, as a mate had one and we played games on it every Saturday, but it had taken a lot of work to get my own finally. Think I only bought a couple of cheap mastertronic games at the same time because I was out of cash, even though mum had paid most of the computers cost in a Debenhams sale.
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

MrmediamanX

I just uploaded this, a Christmas dizzy game. I had to make a few changes but the core gameplay loop is still there.

download:
https://mrmediamanx.itch.io/dizzy-christmas-caper

It's a thing that doe's when it don't..

iWasAdam

And... Here's a little xmas demo for you. Nothing to download, just to watch and listen  :P
it was live captured with no added audio effects, then visuals added in Davici Resolve.

Qube

Quote from: MrmediamanX on December 20, 2020, 02:00:14
I just uploaded this, a Christmas dizzy game. I had to make a few changes but the core gameplay loop is still there.
That's cool, really nice work 8)

Questions galore : How long did it take you to make it? - What language / kit did you use? - What did you use to make the graphics and animations?

Quote from: iWasAdam on December 20, 2020, 06:47:19
And... Here's a little xmas demo for you. Nothing to download, just to watch and listen  :P
it was live captured with no added audio effects, then visuals added in Davici Resolve.
Wow! that is some crisp sound that QasarBeach renders out. Was it written in assembler? ( I'm just full of questions )

Quote from: Xerra on December 19, 2020, 13:07:04
@qube: Show us what you got anyway. Might give us some inspiration to try something maybe after xmas. A general demo rather than just xmas.
Good idea ;D will tidy up a few things before posting. Word of warning though... If you have a low spec laptop / PC forget downloading it :)) - Best to do a YouTube video of it as well. It's not very long but it was fun to do.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

iWasAdam

QuoteWow! that is some crisp sound that QasarBeach renders out. Was it written in assembler?
It's MX2 (monkey2 port) and written from the ground up, so not based on any pre existing sound libraries. all the fx, filters are my own design (cause I could never get 'real' ones to work - lol)
Although I am now looking at redesigning the core in c/c++ so it is totally portable and usable in other people projects... MX2, BlitzNG, etc

MrmediamanX

QuoteQuestions galore : How long did it take you to make it? - What language / kit did you use? - What did you use to make the graphics and animations?

A couple of weeks[about 3 or 4 on and off]
blitz3d[modded]
fragmotion/milkshape/mspaint/paint.net

Qube

Quote from: iWasAdam on December 20, 2020, 07:22:36
QuoteWow! that is some crisp sound that QasarBeach renders out. Was it written in assembler?
It's MX2 (monkey2 port) and written from the ground up, so not based on any pre existing sound libraries. all the fx, filters are my own design (cause I could never get 'real' ones to work - lol)
Although I am now looking at redesigning the core in c/c++ so it is totally portable and usable in other people projects... MX2, BlitzNG, etc
Very impressive stuff. Any chance that it'll end up as a VST? - Wish I could code something like that but alas I'm an old skool brute force coder :))

Quote from: MrmediamanX on December 20, 2020, 07:23:44
QuoteQuestions galore : How long did it take you to make it? - What language / kit did you use? - What did you use to make the graphics and animations?

A couple of weeks[about 3 or 4 on and off]
blitz3d[modded]
fragmotion/milkshape/mspaint/paint.net
Oh wow, I expected you to say some modern super expensive tool set. It's not the tools, it's how you use them 8) *cough* tutorial would be great for the community ;D
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD

Until the next time.

Derron

Quote from: Xerra on December 19, 2020, 13:07:04
@derron: Are you ever going to finish TV towers? You've been mumbling about it for years now!

Not this or next year... It is only in development for 15+ years, how can you dare to even ask if I am going to finish it :)
Last weeks were full of bugfixes for stuff someone spotted (small but "deeply buried in code" bugs :D), full of enhancements and optimisations (way lower cpu usage by cutting down GC-handled elements by a multitude). Most stuff will not be experienced by most "just trying out the game" users (like individual XP for job combinations etc).

Quote from: iWasAdam on December 20, 2020, 06:47:19

Seems "bells and whistles" are typical snowy/christmasish elements. First time the bells "appeared" it reminded me on some Wham-song...
While the music has the christmas "tunes" I somehow miss the special part of the music ... the tune which makes you whistle along with it. To make it distinct from background/ambient music.
As you have the arrangement stored ... it is surely doable for you to improve, to add "hook lines" or so?

Regarding video: do you have so much snow in your countryside already?

bye
Ron

Xerra

Mr MM, Dizzy looks and seems to play great from the video. I'll download and have a play on that in Parallels later. These kind of games usually frustrate the hell out of me, as I'm crap at tight platform jumpers , but yours doesn't look like it's going to pee me off. Great job, mate.

Adam, the missus liked listening to your music. Wasn't interested in actually looking at the scenery though. She's not really sure what a tech demo actually is. She comes from the same decade as me but has no interest in computers unless they help her do the family tree :)

M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

Qube

Finally got around to uploading my little Christmas demo ;D

If anyone wants a Windows / MacOS / Linux version to download then let me know. I didn't think it would be worth downloading when you could just watch it. YouTube have reduced the quality somewhat so it's not as crisp as it is when run natively.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og8GiVJWgEc

Until the next time.

Derron

MrmediamanX

Steve Elliott

Very nice Qube, a good Santa Model, some cool effects and a smooth scrolling sine text.   8)
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Scaremonger

Nice one @Qube. I particularly like the fade into colour it's very effective.