November 29, 2020, 03:44:34 PM

Author Topic: Youtube floods Edge users with ads  (Read 209 times)

Offline TomToad

Youtube floods Edge users with ads
« on: October 21, 2020, 11:57:04 PM »
My system was recently updated and it left Chrome pretty much useless when viewing YouTube videos.  I guess it just uses up too many resources to decode the stream smoothly.  So I temporarily switched to MS Edge for YouTube.  The first thing I noticed was that videos would be bombarded with ads.  With Chrome, I'd get a couple of ads before the video plays, and I might get one or two during the video if it was a long one.  With Edge, I was getting ads at least every two minutes, sometimes more.

At first, I was thinking that Google was just trying to get people to switch to Chrome, but when I installed Firefox, I found that the ads were about the same as Chrome. So it seems that the extra ads are aimed primarily at Edge users.

So the moral here is, if you are using Edge and you are tired of all the YouTube ads, switch to Firefox.

------------------------------------------------
8 rabbits equals 1 rabbyte.

Offline Kryzon

Re: Youtube floods Edge users with ads
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2020, 03:06:01 AM »
Well, I use Firefox with the uBlock Origin extension, default settings, for zero adds on YT and other sites. Then I manually whitelist the sites that I want to support / am okay with seeing ads from. 

On YT this setup does have a blank "Skip ads" screen before the video, but you just click the button and it goes through.

Offline Amon.

• What? There's no ceiling outside?
    • Amon.Pro
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2020, 06:23:14 AM »
What @Kryzon said.
Windows 10 Pro - 64GB DDR4 RAM - GEFORCE RTX 2080 TI 11GB - AMD RYZEN 9 3950X

Offline iWasAdam

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2020, 06:33:08 AM »
Google are deliberately targeting any browser that isn't chrome now. They are inserting ads, janky code, dirty tricks etc (particularly with edge) and are generally doing everything in the book to make people switch to chrome. This also includes attempting to force people to log into google services, etc.

It is a coordinated attack so they can force people into directly using logging in and using google services so they can avoid ad blockers and track you.

Offline GfK

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2020, 12:03:14 PM »
I use the Youtube app (Android) frequently and I get utterly bombarded with ads.  Sometimes one, often two before the video starts.  Sometimes there's a skip button with a 5s delay, sometimes not.  Once I've got through that pantomime, I'm barely two minutes in before the ad breaks all kick off again.  I wouldn't mind so much but it's the same shit ads over and over and over and over again ad nauseam.

Zwift (cycling thing)
Youtube Premium (i.e. give us money and we'll make this shit stop)
Trading 212
Various gambling sites

I don't do trading or gambling so fuck knows what info they've gathered to think I'm a worthwhile target for that.
Intel I9-9900K 3.6-5.0GHz | GeForce RTX2070 8GB | 32GB RAM | 500GB NVMe M.2 SSD | 1TB HDD | Windows 10 x64.
MSI Apache Pro | I7-7700HQ | GeForce GTX1060 3GB | 8GB RAM | 128GB SSD | 1TB HDD | Windows 10 x64.

Offline Derron

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2020, 12:36:04 PM »
android: youtube vanced (either old APK from apkpure/other apk mirror sites ... or now via the "vanced manager" - as this optionally installs microG so you could optionally log in via your google account to sync abonnements etc).

Youtube vanced does not play any ads... else it is the normal youtube app + the possibility to play in the background (or eg. with the display powered off).

bye
Ron

Offline TomToad

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2020, 04:04:10 PM »
Well, I use Firefox with the uBlock Origin extension
Thanks, just added uBlock Origin to Firefox.
------------------------------------------------
8 rabbits equals 1 rabbyte.

Offline Kryzon

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2020, 02:45:25 AM »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal