Knights of Grumthorr

Started by Matty, October 01, 2020, 23:03:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Matty

Good Morning Syntaxbombers.

This is the game I've been working on for the last two weeks.

Thanks.
Matt

Link:
https://gamejolt.com/games/knightsofgrumthorr/541395

Image:

Matty

Oh...if you try it you will notice the soldiers have voice acted lines

If you would like to you are welcome to record on your phine yourself saYing rts type things 'Yes' 'Ready' 'At once' etc and send me a copy of the file and I'll put your voice in the game.

Thanks.

Note. It is not finished I am in the stage of filling it out with content.

Xerra

Is this finished already, Matty?
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

Matty

Far from it Xerra.  Adding heaps of content.

Making maps. Scripted maps.  Adding creatures.  Refining missions. Fixing bugs. Adding more voices.  Enhancing the editor.  Lots to do and doing.

Matty

This large monster is taking a while to paint...too many frames to draw.....

About 20 frames per 5 directions - so 100 frames in total......

Rest of frames drawn...

Derron

ohhh noees, they cut into their knee!!

snake tongue sword?

In other words: on the first glance the sprites looked quite good - then I had a closer look and it already seems you are "rushing" through the sprite creation -- lines look like "roughly sketched" instead of being rather polished.
You know that many people do use "liquify" or other effects to move elements on high res sprites?

You might even think of "spine animation" (not for the engine, but for some more high res sprites which you can render/scale down at/to lower res then).

So think about way to "optimize" your workflow, to help creating assets - hand drawing 100 frames per unit is ... too much. Create basic shapes, move arms, bend stuff - and then manually correct stuff no longer correct. you can do this all with your wacom (or whatever) pen, so it is still "drawing", you just "copy paste" a lot of stuff.
"copy paste" ensures you have similar shading along the frames. Polish the single "parts" -- and combine them to poses.

It seems your sprite is WIP - yet my above notices are still valid.

It also is a perfect example of "splitting": if you had the wings "extra" you could animate your wings - and separately animate "breathing/idling" - then combine the separate sprites, add some missing pixels here and there ...

Color is "demon fleshy" - think that suits (depends on the background) yet it might need some more "metal/armor" to not look "dull/monochromatic".

bye
Ron

Matty

I agree with everything you've said.

I'm not sure I have it in me to redo everything though since the game currently looks like this - with a fairly consistent feel to the graphics:

Derron

learn to like margins and paddings: do not put your texts so near to decoration / boundaries of boxes.

in the boxes (and dialogues/monologues), the text has no anti-aliasing ?

work with shadows.

This looks like a "mess" to me - are these trees, or bushes (I know that you drew trees...)?
To make things look "tall" you might consider drawing a little gradient overlay over the tree so it gets "darker" the more to the ground it goes.

Also I already mentioned "team colors" - if you plan to have similar looking units for the "opponents", then you will sooner or later receive complaints about the lack of "distinguishability" (who is yours and who belongs to the enemy?)
Your visual style is more for a "RPG" game ... meet other people ... etc. But if you control "armies" you need to decide who is yours and who is someone else in milliseconds.

bye
Ron

blinkok

You certainly are prolific Matty.

Steve Elliott

This looks like a "mess" to me - are these trees, or bushes (I know that you drew trees...)?

I've said it before, I think you should abandon your graphics tablet and instead pixel art your graphics.  Using a graphics tablet you're getting a very soft (and no detail) look to your graphics, scaling them down doesn't hide that fact.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Matty

Perhaps....I've already painted these however:

(not going to do them all again...)

iWasAdam

I'm not saying anything.  ;D

Except....
If you post, and people take the trouble to reply. then take note.

MikeHart

iWasAdam

ok. I'm going in....  :o

Can I ask you what your drawing method is for the sprites?
It's got to be one of the following:
1. 3d models rendered and then drawn over
2. some form of existing 2d sprites that you are drawing over

I'm sort of guessing it's #2. Probably "Diablo 2" as the base sprites?

I just went and found some diablo sprites and sized them and guess what? Yep they fitted! So we're talking Diablo 2. That's a great choice as they don't come better than that :)

I thought those trees looked familiar...

You basic single sprite size is approx 180x180 - too big for you style - you want to use scaling with 'nearest neighbour' selected to give you (as Derron right said) pixel edges

But I would also say don't give up on the tablet - you definitely wont be able to do that with a mouse. Just learn a bit on how to use it :)

On the left you can see diablo then yours. then my version:

use the rescaling to make everything go to pixels.

the top ver was just me adding a tiny bit of shadow and highlight.
the bottom version I added a single pixel stroke as it shows you what need tidying up

I'm going to end with this little gem:
Quote(not going to do them all again...)
quantity over quality - that always wins followers!
And the usual Matty quote: "poor me, I don't give a turd sandwich. I Am The greatest. You all hate me. Boo hoo!"

iWasAdam

Matty's guide to making a bar-b-q: