[Bmx] Hidden Deep has an ALPHA-DEMO - TRY IT NOW! :)

Started by wookie22, September 30, 2020, 14:41:22

Previous topic - Next topic

wookie22

Sorry for creating another topic for Hidden Deep but I just forgot to add information about the demo on previous one and was afraid that nobody will notice that.

So here is alpha-demo link for PC-Windows, all made in Blitzmax Vanilla: https://www.hiddendeepgame.com/hdfiles/HiddenDeep_Demo8a.zip

Fell free to share your thoughts and feedback. Enjoy! 

And if you didn't read previous topic, here is the trailer: https://youtu.be/hptNRKAked0
Hidden Deep - 2D Action & Exploration Sci-Fi Thriller for PC/Mac/Linux
http://www.hiddendeepgame.com

fairgood

Looks and plays great, definetly will buy this when it's released

Pingus

I played a few and the gameplay is great. Reminds me the good old days of "Another World"  8)
The keys are a bit annoying on a french keyboard tough. I tried to change the settings but it did not work.
An option to use the cursor keys would be welcome.

chalky

Had a go at this and really enjoyed it. The opening screen and menu presentation are superb, and the ambient background sounds throughout really add to the atmosphere - as does the limited in-game light - brilliant.

I know it's often standard keyboard mapping, but I found WASD a bit awkward when trying to combine it with LSHIFT and R - the ability to map movement to the cursor keys (I got the message they were "binded ["bound"?] to the camera" when I tried) would be good.

I found the on-screen help messages easy to miss during my early attempts to play - some sort of overall help screen (maybe via the ESC menu?) would be useful for hopeless cases like me - sadly I couldn't for the life of me work out how to avoid/kill that ruddy alien tentacle thingy in the ceiling so didn't get very far...

Absolutely fantastic work - I will definitely be buying this when it's released - even if I am totally rubbish at playing it!  :)

wookie22

Thank you for all your feedback! I will take this into account in the next game update.
Before I released this demo (and earlier) I had no idea how difficult is communicating with player properly. It is really tricky and important - you can easily discourage people from playing because of small mistake.

Quote from: Pingus on October 01, 2020, 15:03:09
I tried to change the settings but it did not work. An option to use the cursor keys would be welcome.

You can actually rebind keys but it is not saved (fix in next update). You mean you couldn't even rebind keys?

Quote from: fairgood on September 30, 2020, 23:04:00
Looks and plays great, definetly will buy this when it's released

Thank you!

Quote from: GfK on October 01, 2020, 12:06:06
What are you meant to do when you're out of ammunition?

I'm going to add some basic melee attack. But of course there is enough ammo on level so maybe you didn't look around carefuly :)

Hidden Deep - 2D Action & Exploration Sci-Fi Thriller for PC/Mac/Linux
http://www.hiddendeepgame.com

Pingus

QuoteYou can actually rebind keys but it is not saved (fix in next update). You mean you couldn't even rebind keys?

Yes. There was a red message saying that the wanted key was already in use, but I did not see the mentioned key and its function in the list.
I know that WASD is pretty common for platform games but cursor keys are always at the same place whatever the foreign language.

Kronos

Enjoyed this alot. A couple of thoughts from me.
1) In gun mode the laser sight doesn't always line up with the mouse cursor. Makes targetting a little tricky. Don't know if this was a deliberate choice or not.
2) I had to remap the set explosive key(x) as i accidentally hit it a few times when trying to press c. Perhaps separate these a bit more.
3) Falling damage doesnt seem to apply if you land on a creature. I fell off a cliff but hit a flying creature just before hitting the ground and survived the fall;)
4) Fell into water a couple of times at the zipline demo bit but no way to get back to start point without losing a life. Again might be a design decision.

Are there plans to support playing with a gamepad?