Fantasy RTS

Started by Matty, September 20, 2020, 04:42:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Matty

Greetings friends....

I have started work/planning/design etc on a fantasy rts for desktop pc (not browser based).

As a test I have put together a simple animated knight character (hand drawn) and am wondering do I go for the small, medium or large scale as the finished product when in game?

(I like the mid sized one....)

iWasAdam

yup - I'd go for the middle size too :)

as a general rule I stick to sizes of 8
so 32x32, 40x40, 48x48, 56x56, 64x64 and so on

Your middle one is sorta around the 48-64 size. so pick the size that works best.

good suggestion for your style would be to work at double the resolution and then scale down - that way you have the ability to remove or add pixel outlines and it will look sharper :)

Matty

Derron

Maybe you want to have at least a bit "different" scales for footmen and horsemen and dragons etc ... so pay attention to that.

Else it can look pretty "odd" if the unit on a horse is scaled down so that the horse has the same width than the foot soldier ... think you know what I mean.

bye
Ron

iWasAdam

Here's a quick thing i knocked up for you

gives you the isometric grid and 2d grid - watch your scales and lines. the isogrid is great for getting stuff right.

focus on doing one thing completely superbly. say a great dungeon. just your figure and exploring. no overworld, just get the character moving with perfect collision, etc. make him fluid and fun to move :)

next would be to add a chair or block and make him move around it with proper depth sorting

Start small... wink

Derron

Quote from: iWasAdam on September 20, 2020, 07:59:43
focus on doing one thing completely superbly. say a great dungeon. just your figure and exploring. no overworld, just get the character moving with perfect collision, etc. make him fluid and fun to move :)

RTS = Real Time Strategy

Albeit you are right about good working isometric stuff ...

bye
Ron

Matty

Thanks.

This is going to be a lengthy project by my calculations.

I've  designed it on paper and decided to build in automatic place holders in the form of coloured rectangles for every graphic not drawn so far.  That means I can work on game play without having to have everything drawn yet.

Matty

iWasAdam

Watched it, went away and came back and watched it again...

Without being critical (hehehehe) at first look... this looks like a commercial game!

Without any help, or knowledge I can see what is going on and generally what to do and it looks very good.

I think that if you are into this type of game, just seeing this would make you want to know more. this is a brilliant start :)

Derron

Think about team colours: if enemy shares same "unit types" you need to ensure that you can distinct between "teams" (most probably helmet decoration, armory... gets team color

Think about visibility: these dudes lurking in the wood were rather hard to identify (brownish dude and brown+green trees). Might be by design - or by not thinking in advance about it.

bye
Ron

Matty

Thanks Adam.  Yes, I'm pleased with my progress.

Thanks Derron.

Matty

Matty

Pakz

Looking good matty!

I'm still stuck at group movement knowledge and lack of graphics. Slowly working on learning and creating that.

I noticed a tweet yesterday where someone showed his sales graph for his indie game on stream. He had some kind of rts with empire building. He made 2 million dollars! That kind of shows there is room for indie games of those type.

Matty

Thanks.

I'm not expecting more than a handful of sales but the thought is nice.