Today is about menus:

iWasAdam

today is all about input:
getting the joystick to function as the keyboard
getting the keyboard and joystick to control menus as well as the mouse
getting everything loaded and saved correctly

iWasAdam

Today is all about music and balance...

Got the difficulty setting working, so that's something...

New enemies - lets just call them all "lil' basterds"

New level but it needs a boss...

iWasAdam

oh crap, oh lordy. Where's me icon? What was that... Where did I put the zip app... :'(

iWasAdam

Xerra

Hi Adam,

I'm having a go at the game now but there appears to be some issue with the shop that's preventing me either selecting anything to buy or be able to exit the shop - unless I press esc which quits the game. I thought it was something to do with the configured game pad controls so I disconnected that and switched back to the default cursor keys and space bar to play. Sometimes I see a green bar under one of the icons in the shop and sometimes it just tells me the price of something that I can't afford yet, and it looks like nothing is selected at all. Can't play any further than this as you can't exit the shop even without trying to buy anything.

Also took a while to find CTRL and Q to quit as I was playing in full screen mode. Might be worthwhile making esc do that on title screen or have menu option to exit game?

Other than that, the ships I have been destroying in the first wave before the shop have been most satisfying so I want to see the rest :)

Oh, I'll just add that the game asked me to give it access to keyboard functions when first launched so I did that and it still asked the next time. I don't think that's related as the shooting section of the game is working fine - just the shop that doesn't seem to be reading them.

M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

iWasAdam

Use the mouse in the shop

QuoteI'll just add that the game asked me to give it access to keyboard functions when first launched so I did that and it still asked the next time.
it's related to monkey2 - don't ask. this is the last program to be built with it as I'm leaving it behind...

I'll consider the shop issue a bug and fix it for you :)

Derron

Seems your time was running out ... you hurried through your "teaser"-image: the ship was bluntly pasted into the image - including its background...

Were not able to test the game yet - has to wait until the kids are in bed.

PS: and "we" have to improve the logo after the competition (it is too smooth compared to the "pixel" look of the others - so maybe it is time to improve our photoshop->pixel-gradients skills :D). For ideas, go back to reply #2 in this thread :)

PPS: Hope sooner or later there is a linux binary too (as with your other games)

bye
Ron

Derron

Just tried it with Wine ... starts up... plays music, displays stuff etc ....

- the floppy drive is not horizontally centered ;-)
- difficulty: noob, brutal ... and snowflake (and others) - for me "brutal" sounds more difficult than "snowflake" (so .. innocent!)
- when selecting the entry to start the game I hit "space" to activate...
- - the "mechanic walls" come from top and bottom in a "slow pace" (so not snappy fast)
- - while this happens I can hit "space" again and it restarts the animation
- - can "space" "space" ... again and again
- - same for escape key ... it would over and over start the animation again
- - but letting loose "esc" for a while then starts the game :)

bye
Ron

Steve Elliott

Very nice.   8)  Plays well, looks great.  Apart from the fried eggs which look out of place and a bit naff.

For me the craft feels a bit heavy on the controls, like I'm dragging it through sand.  Apart from that gameplay is smooth and fast though.  I don't like the use of a plain mouse pointer in a game of this sort (arcade shooter).  Everything should be selectable with the gamepad, except maybe inputting your name into the high score.  And how do you do that exactly?  I'm told I get highscores, but wasn't prompted for my name or initials.  The creatures in the walls seem invincible, it would be more fair if you could kill them and therefore stop them shooting at you.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

iWasAdam

fair points
to make the ship mucj more responsive you need to shoot and collect 'FAST' bonus or wait for the shop...

I can certainly look at making the side enemies on level 3 shootable for you :)

The shop is the only place you need a mouse (working on a fix for that) everywhere else the joystick/keyboard will work fine :)

Steve Elliott

ok - and how do I enter my name/initials for a high score?
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

iWasAdam

I didn't have time to enter initials.  :-X
I can work on it as a bug/request  ;D