Go Nuts Competition Entry - Axonite

Started by iWasAdam, September 18, 2020, 07:36:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Xerra

Took me a while to get off the high scores list. I was fooled by the "..." thinking I was having to enter my name. Clicking the mouse seemed to be the only way to get off that screen.

What seems to work well, and I'm not sure you've done it deliberately but fair play if so, is getting back into the game after you've lost a life and are thrown back into the fray with all your power ups gone. I could recover more often than not as a couple of speed ups and shot booster usually wasn't far away. What did annoy me was in the second level where the big guy comes down and his bullets seem to move with you when you're trying to avoid them so you can really do nothing but take the hits and go down.

I've not got much further in the game yet but I'm trying as I really like it. Would prefer it without the mouse input as well as just using keys or pad - especially in the shop.

M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

iWasAdam

consider everything being sorted - particularly the keyboard/joystick input for menus, etc :)

iWasAdam

Okydoke. I'm now happy  ;D
All suggestions, fixes etc have now been done and upped:
https://adamstrange.itch.io/axonite

​V1.01

First update. this focusses on adding full keyboard and joy support on all menus including the shop!

Also added is ability to add initials to your hiscore.

Some graphics have been changed - made slightly bigger and colors altered

general bug hunting

re balancing of game to make it a bit fairer - but don't worry it's still as brutal as ever.

Difficulty setting are now numbered so you can see which is the lowest and highest etc.

The game levels have been tweaked a tiny bit to make the fairer and give more bonus items. But nothing has really been added - the 3 maps remain the same.

The mouth and lazer shooters (on level 3) can now be shot...

No extra enemies or levels has been added as this is just rebalancing and correcting stuff.

Pressing F1 or 1 on windows will enable fullscreen! MacOS just use the system ctrl+cmd+F

V1.02 will get new levels after the competition finishes \o/

Steve Elliott

Better...I still don't like gravity in space though  ;D The constant need to thrust or you descend to the bottom of the screen. After the comp option perhaps?
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

iWasAdam

Derron

- hitting "ESCAPE" after confirming "game start" leads to the menu becoming blank (while the "closing door" animation happens)
- hitting "ESC" more and more ... then wait, you see the highscore menu
- animation finishes and the game starts ....

- hitting escape while the "disc read" sound is played ... sound crackles and the main menu music sounds ... "garbaged" (like through a metal can) and a bit "slower" -> maybe something is not "restored" properly

- glad to have keyboard setup ... "two cursor keys + space" are not working on my keyboard here (while lctrl works ... cheap signal routing in the keyboard)

edit: made a video:
[youtube width=800]https://youtu.be/a8C6GygHwkk[/youtube]
Each time the animations of the text (menu) restarts, I have hit "ESC"... same for the moment we start the game, or "exit" the game.
Video does not show the distorted sound I experienced once.
bye
Ron

Steve Elliott

Yeah sound seems a bit off this version, what else was changed?
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

iWasAdam

@ Derron - what os are you running it on?
escape confirmed (if you keep hitting it) - will get that sorted :)

I'll check the sound routines too - What OS are you both using there?

Steve Elliott

Windows 10 (I haven't checked it on MacOS or Linux yet).  But I did run fullscreen this time, not sure if that would make a difference or not.
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Derron

I was running Linux (wine) ... but as your other games did run there I and am knowing you use some custom sound engine... with your own samples etc.
So I thought ... this error looks like some stuff like "pitch information" or "speed/tempo settings" were not correctly reset (maybe the "escape key" and the following abort of the animation lead to something - maybe your engine runs in a different thread or so).

Can run it on a mac or windows too.

Edit: tried to replicate the sound issue - and in one of my starts with a mouse click right on the fresh opened window resulted in a MAV:

(Edit2: replicated it multiple times: starting the app - window with black screen is created, rapidly clicking on it ... MAV ... - I assume it wants to go to the next screen but did not have the ressources created).

bye
Ron

Derron

Ok ... regarding sound issue:

- Start the game.
- When it plays the "floppy disc drive" sounds - click the "ESC" to skip the intro
- the main menu appears and in the background you still hear the "floppy disc drive" sounds (together with the music)
- the music volume fades down a bit because of the floppy sounds fade out too
- music might now sound a bit more "mechanical"
- is reproduceable here (so I could create a video for you)

If this is a bug - then not a game specific one, but from your backend/engine - as sound1 should not affect sound2 (except desired).

bye
Ron

iWasAdam

yep - confirmed related to the esc. I'll get it sorted checked and a fix ready

all the sound stuff I would be careful about trying to work out what is going on - there is nothing that 'this suggests, etc' that really works as the sound system is doing a whole load of things. E,G, sound volume goes quiet is actually programmed into it and not an issue.

Remember that the sound engine is not a simple sample playback system. it's a whole synth engine, so what you think you are hearing might not be the reality... <grins>

But it does point to code issues that need to be addressed with a new audio core and shift to NG ;)

Steve Elliott

need to be addressed with a new audio core and shift to NG ;)

Adam you produce some good stuff, but you seem to be fighting a whole lot of instability by basing your codebase on a version of an abandoned Blitz BASIC Language...Oh wait you're moving onto...   ;)
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Derron

Quote from: iWasAdam on October 20, 2020, 15:22:31
E,G, sound volume goes quiet is actually programmed into it and not an issue.

This is what I meant ... you decrease volume of "complete output" - instead of the actually played "intro sound". Just think of 3 inputs and a mix table ... input 3 plays the intro screen stuff, input 2 the main menu and input 1 some overall SFX.
Now when going from "into" to "main" you somehow decrease "master volume" instead of decreasing "input 3"-volume (as it is no longer needed).

If "intro" and "menu" are meant to be "cross faded" - volume need to be manipulated for different "channels" (input2 and input3 in this case).

Maybe this works already and you just did something else - but sometimes it is just the most simplest "bug" people just do not think about in advance.

bye
Ron

iWasAdam

Don't try to think what you think is happening. I know exactly what a mixer is, and have direct access into all voice channels. There in NO bug in the sound levels. They were deliberately programmed that way.