Go Nuts Competition Entry - Axonite

Started by iWasAdam, September 18, 2020, 07:36:12

Previous topic - Next topic

iWasAdam

yep you are correct. The main ship and the blobby things were drawn ages ago and at a different resolution.

I'm redrawing them all to better fit with everything else now :)

iWasAdam

nothing to show just working on some sound stuff

Qube

Are you using the graphics from Xenon II and redoing them a bit? Just wondering as Rebellion ( who acquired Bitmap Brothers ) may use you as a trampoline if it's too close :o - careful not to infringe on things ;)
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

iWasAdam

no bitmap brother graphics were used - just the style 8)

Qube

Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Matty

Xenon 2 was one of the few good scrolling shooters for PC in the 80s/90s - there were dozens of good ones though for other systems....

I remember playing many of these in the Arcade and on friends' C64s and other computers from then...

The version of Xenon 2 I had had a cheat which was that if you pressed I think it was letter 'i' on the graphics choice menu before the game began you would never lose health throughout the game.

iWasAdam

interesting to hear about the cheat - hmmm....  :P

so not much to show apart from a full shop:

It's not as many items as in Xenon2, but there's lots to buy and get.
Last few days has been trying to get them all working...

Derron

The sprites are offset .. two times:

1 - they are visually offset (as the "inner shadow" of the background and the "left border" of the frame share the same color ... the left border looks "thinner" then).

2 - the robot is offset (maybe it is animated and "shaking" around?)

bye
Ron

Derron

Another thing I noticed - and mentioned one or two times in the past already : your scaling algorithm does not take care of equally sized pixels.

Maybe add an option for "black border"s and then ensure that width and height of the "content" has a fixed ratio and is a multiple of your "original resolution".

bye
Ron

iWasAdam

And (please correct me if i'm wrong here), but haven't I said the scaling is fine, it just depends on how openGL does it's thing and the window sizes. It's not really an issue :)

I'll give you the offset though :)

Derron

But I think you understood what I tried to explain with the fixed aspect ratio thing? -- some people prefer black borders "all around" but a perfect square "pixel". If not drop a line and I will come up with some pictures :)

bye
Ron

iWasAdam

Sorry Derron I couldn't resist:

Still running at 800x1024 - with borders as requested...

Derron

if that is needed ... some might even be ok with the stretched pixel look of some C64 games - but you should then ensure, that all pixels are "equally" stretched (so eg 3*2 pixels for each "original" pixel). Having different stretching on the pixels ... just looks odd.

Also it should not be too difficult for you to implement (as your engine is surely already capable of doing so).

Edit:

Seems the space ocean monster gives a piss on what we discuss here :)

PS: If it is ok ... you could ... have the option to rotate the whole image by +-90 degrees? So people with a "pivot" screen (can be rotated) could play it in full glory :)
(attention - you should not need virtual input then for gamepads and mices ... normally the OS already rotates the whole desktop then)

bye
Ron

iWasAdam

Busy trying to get it together...
Got the base shop working:

Matty