Go Nuts Competition Entry - Axonite

Started by iWasAdam, September 18, 2020, 07:36:12

Previous topic - Next topic

iWasAdam

hehehehehehe
I'm not saying anything.... Except "Hmm how do you track and sync audio?"

iWasAdam

oh, getting hard now :(
OK. I've got my sprite, but I need a version that can be turned into black and white. that means a shader:

But it's not a simple task of coloring pixels - you need to make some sort of sense about it while keeping the same look as the colored version

ooo. does this mean i can take the new graphics recolor them and make a spectrum next version????

blinkok

De-saturate it in you gfx proggy or just de-saturate the palette in the game

iWasAdam

You've missed the point - the above image of the 2 ships is using only a single sprite

getting the second result is actually quite hard in a photo app as well.

The above is live and controllable :)

iWasAdam

and todays nugget is drawing more enemies:

and oodles of animation frames as well :(

iWasAdam

ok. so lets talk levels and enemies:

Above shows the data for powering level 1!
the columns are as follows:

1. far left number = map references, the color is the background color being used
2. next set of numbers = the path the enemies for that map part will take
3. block of four enemies
each map section can have 4 different enemies along the same path. the icon shows the enemy and the color is how to follow the path. Which gives great flexibility :)

so looking above you can see for any level  there are ten sections, each with enemies. you can also see that the bottom 3 sections are yet to get enemies - or maybe the enemies are built directly into the graphics map as well....?

Anyway. it gives an idea of how I am tackling the enemies and not using anything nasty like xml etc. Just a nice simple visual map   8)

iWasAdam

nothing much today just implemented enemy shots:

They can hit the ship and do damage - nothing spectacular...

iWasAdam

Thought you'd like to see this - the first enemy. lots of reference photos used and one attempt that got trashed after an hour of work :(
100x100 pixels

iWasAdam

so what nuttiness have I been up to today... ?  :o

Derron

nuttiness? I would call it "mixing pixel sizes".

Also one of the space egs is below that... uhm... prehistorical giant thing - and the one next to it, is on top of it. I assume the space eggs also move in the z-direction (so "to the screen" and "away from screen") - and that giant thing is "inbetween".

The most right space egg exposes some black outline which is "inconsistent"  - dunno for what reason it exists. If it exists because of "scaling" you might consider doing smooth scaling. If smooth scaling is to avoid (because of "pixel effect") then maybe do the outlines in a different sprite image - and draw them scaled+smoothed behind the "scaled pixelated" actual image.

bye
Ron

Qube

Quote from: Derron on October 04, 2020, 13:10:40
Hmm, I kinda like it as it's a retro method of making something look bigger without having to draw it bigger. For example in the classic C64 Ghostbusters the marshmallow man was an enlarged sprite and that worked well I thought as I didn't do a WTF! about it.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

iWasAdam

You don't really notice with all the other stuff flying around. and there's loafs of that...

for today I have been mostly working out IK

iWasAdam

Derron

This looks nice indeed.

Handles of the ik path...are a bit offset in the editor shot... Not something important for the overall look but maybe there is a wrong offset error lurking around in your code (when it needs to be exact...).

Bye
Ron

Steve Elliott

Nice looking alien and good animation, but yeah everything is very high res compared to the pixelated alien...Looks odd, like the art was drawn by 2 different people.

As for scaling to enlarge a sprite, even then it's too much of a leap from super crisp to super pixelated.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb