Go Nuts Competition Entry - Axonite

Started by iWasAdam, September 18, 2020, 07:36:12

Previous topic - Next topic

iWasAdam

Well... It's now got a name!

Let's see how far we can get it...

Derron

Two things:
- the bevel effect on the "steel/granite" looks very cheap (maybe use a more chiseled one ... to make it more "rocky")
- the black parts of the bevel are transparent (look at the most right side -- the green lines)
- the yellow + blue always works (Transformers - or my GW website :D), nice blue color choice
- the inline glow of the text is .. working OK but the outline glow ... looks rather cheap like the background block bevel

if the background is a kind of "granite" one ... you might tinker with the text outline glow to be more "sprinkled" ... so in other words, add more "texture" to the glow (make it a separate layer and fill above).

Edit: the right side looks a bit ... too ... "straight" ... I dunno how it looks, but maybe cut the "E" diagonally too to ressemble  part of the diagonal movement of the "A". You already tried it with the diagonal right side cut of the blue bar (which btw is a different angle than the rest of the "angles" in the shape).

But keep the yellow + blue combination. it pops out - and is almost guaranteed to work nicely.

bye
Ron

Derron

Quick mockup:

I used some "inner glow" with overdraw and "distortion" (dunno the english term now) to add a bit of "pixel dirt" (maybe over the top already here). Maybe it can also be seen as effect on a "non flat surface" ... some grainy ground.

I had the background 2 times - one for the shape and bevel - and another one with "canvas opacity 0%" for the dirt-inner-glow.

the background consisted of the font + outer glow (100% overfill) black as the font. Then made this a smart group (so I could add another effect on the shape including the outer glow). This was then filled with the cast iron texture + bevel.
And then a copy of this smart group was done, no canvas fill (so only "effects" rendered). There I removed the texture and bevel but added an inner glow with distortion for a "growing dust" effect.
The text just received an outer glow with the same dust-effect to emphasize the rough texture/ground of the iron.

bye
Ron

iWasAdam

Derron

I assume the "pixel distortion" thing of the glow (and other effects) would well suit to your overall graphic approaches (Honey Things had similar stuff if I remember).

BTW: I always wonder how some stuff in Photoshop is done ... so much beautiful artwork out there ... not to talk about vector magicians in inkscape, illustrator, ...

PS: one thing I forgot to mention: The bevel effect on the background layer has a "structure" enabled too - I tried to play with "only structure effect on the bevel part" but it did not look as I wanted it to do ... so maybe some "hand crafted" cuts and cracks will do (make it look less "template"-based)

PPS: I can send you the psd file if you want.

bye
Ron

iWasAdam

Got it sorted :)

todays peek is adding graphics and starting to create the first level map:

map collision also done and works. Bloody ell!

Steve Elliott

Looking good, although some of those tiles don't blend, so they look like separate tiles with a clear join.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

blinkok

I think that's because he's drawn the grid over the images

Steve Elliott

I think that's because he's drawn the grid over the images

No, here's a couple of tiles without a grid...I'm sure Adam will sort it before the deadline though.
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

iWasAdam

Yep. Agreed. ATM I'm getting everything working before doing the housework  :))

So today I got some funky little animations going on with the ma, just to brighten things up.

I thought I'de share my approach:
5 frames with the frames being controlled by the gametime plus their y location:
182+int(MSin(yp*0.1)*5)

Where MSin is the function:
method MSin:float( in:float )
Return (Sin(in)*0.5)+0.5
End method

So why link it to the ylocation and sin?
1. the frames go 0,1,2,3,4,3,2,1,0 - so if the animation is something appearing. reversing it with sin makes it also go away
2. linking it to the ylocation means that every occurrence in a different y position will have a different time offset. so all the animations are not showing the same fame
3. you can slow down the rate the map moves - this also means the animations slow down too

and what does it look like:

See those plant things - they move and open/close etc  8)

iWasAdam

now what in the world is going on here then?

Xerra

Isn't that the imageworks logo? Something to do with the bitmap brothers? Looks familiar, although not coloured like that.
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

Steve Elliott

Yeah, that's The Bitmapped Brothers Logo, with a Max Headroom twist?
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

iWasAdam

maybe....  ;D

OK, for todays treat. it's all about the curve

you start with a 10 point line - the darker one
and you end up with a 680 point curve
smoothed 6 times  8)

Derron

why smoothing ... just use something like a catmull rom spline ... and define the corner points?

bye
Ron