Link:site with gaming statistics

Started by Matty, September 12, 2020, 19:18:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Matty

https://www.blog.udonis.co/mobile-marketing/mobile-games/mobile-gaming-statistics

Greetings.

The statistic that I focus on on this page is the session duration in minutes for different categories.

Many games only have an average of under five minutes that users spend with them.

Hope you find it useful.

Matty

Here's a scary thought if you make games for mobile based on these stats:

After Day 1 since a user installs over 60% of your users will uninstall the app - and that's best case scenario, and not only- most users will play your app for under 5 minutes.

So for all the hard work you put into any mobile app the majority of users who actively choose to install it (remember, no one holds a gun to their head to install an app) will play for less time than a couple of commercial breaks on television and uninstall after the first day.

Not only, but that 5 minutes is average, even the top half of users in terms of length of play will only do so at most for 15 to 20 minutes - and then uninstall it.

Furthermore, a month after installing as few as 2% will still have it on their device in many cases.

So....a developer can spend hours, weeks and months developing and refining their app when in user land even the top games manage to get less than twenty minutes play before being discarded.

It does make me wonder when I see Steam Match 3 games with reviews by users upwards of 2 hours play time when comparable mobile versions average 5 minutes play and then uninstall.

Steve Elliott

The statistic that I focus on on this page is the session duration in minutes for different categories.

Many games only have an average of under five minutes that users spend with them.

After Day 1 since a user installs over 60% of your users will uninstall the app - and that's best case scenario, and not only- most users will play your app for under 5 minutes.

It does make me wonder when I see Steam Match 3 games with reviews by users upwards of 2 hours play time when comparable mobile versions average 5 minutes play and then uninstall.

So all the more reason to stick to accepted and well known methods of game interaction!  If you change all the rules (because it appeals to you) then they will uninstall your game before they can be bothered to fight with your alien UI...As Adam keeps telling you!
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Matty

Actually the opposite is true.

If both good and bad games get a mere 5 minute play time then 'do what you want as whatever makes YOU happy is all that then counts' - because all your extra efforts won't translate to more users or better play.

Eg for all the effort those developers games Adam showed went to:most of their users played for a toilet break and then uninstalled making their development efforts and quality pointless.

https://www.reddit.com/r/quotes/comments/26req0/the_most_dangerous_creation_of_any_society_is_the/

Steve Elliott

Matty, you are clearly a very talented coder...I just don't get the feeling you know what it takes to blow gamers socks off...Have you thought about producing (non-game) apps/software for companies?  You seem to be able to knock out code very quickly, so why not pursue that avenue instead?
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Matty

You are correct.

If mobile games like Bee Factory below with 10 million installs are what blows gamers socks off then I truly have no idea.

I like business software, it was my day job for 11 years until I quit.

So: Bee Factory 10million plus players.
Grand theft auto 5 140 million players.

Not a lot of difference when you consider the relative effort to produce.

Derron

This looks like a clicker game ... clicker games tend to be played longer than 5 minutes.

bye
Ron

Matty

Not so sure Derron.  Read the report on the link.  It's thorough.

Matty

In any case - my own results don't compare too badly - pretty similar to the standard mobile gaming experience as per the article: attached graph.

Note the 7.37 refers to the y-axis - a peculiarity about the graphing software. ((It's not the average number of minutes played)

Xerra

Call me cynical but I suspect there's a good chunk of developers out there who wouldn't give a shit if their game gets uninstalled by over 60% of the people who've played it within a day. As long as they've purchased it first.

Maybe not the best example, but back in the days of the 8 bit machines, sometimes companies thought it advantageous for the magazines to release pokes and cheat codes for their games specifically for players to use and finish the game. That way their user base was all primed up to go out and buy the next one. Kind of the same thing with devs wanting players to get the next game they come up with. Although, in reality, players would probably not want to get their next game if they lost interest that quickly in the current one.

M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

Matty

A thought re perspective.

Grand Theft Auto 5 cost $250 million dollars to make and has acquired 140 million users.  So a cost of about $2 to the company per user to develop the game. ( And an income of x per user say 100AUD each).

Bee Factory has over 10 million users and I highly doubt it cost more than a few thousand dollars to make.

Economies of scale.

iWasAdam

there are lies
there are damed lies
and then there are statistics!

Statistics will tell you anything you want them to tell you.

To compare GTA to bee studio is (frankly my dear Matty) ridiculous!

it's a bit like saying 'last year high speed trains caused no damage to road surfaces - therefore we should ban all cars and replace them directly with trains as they wont damage the road surface and we wont have to spend money on fixing pot holes!"

Derron

- full price titles have a different "buy it" barrier than low price
- sequels (GTA x vs Bee 1) have loyal customers buying "again" (less costs for them)
- blockbuster games have high advertisement costs
- mobile games have a different target group
- complex games require more bug squashing time (...costs)
- GTA 5 is surely localized in various languages - maybe including audio, Bee ... maybe localized but this by single persons or "cheap" companies
- word of mouth
- some mobile apps are "free" for some time ("specials") to gain installs.

Also install numbers are sometimes... "bought" too - especially on mobile markets.

Would be interesting to see where the "buys" came from .. I suspect India etc.
Of course because Indians like the game more than other nations :D

Nonetheless I think the bee game was quite successful for the publisher/developer (if the numbers are "somehow" real ... so maybe only 50% faked).

bye
Ron

iWasAdam

I've been trying to work out your stats image - It's not very clear what the stats mean. usually you would be able to look and see at a glance.

The fact you have to explain things (and even then it isn't clear) means your stats can be misread or mislead people as to their meaning.

It then goes into q numbers - Now I'm assuming you made this up as I can't find any reference in any statistic system that uses them. so (whatever) Q numbers are - they are irrelevant

You then go into global medians (with no reference to where and how you obtained these) and begin comparing your stuff to this (unsubstantiated) data - again not a good position.

And finally you use all of this (garbage is the only word here) data to justify your actions in regard to your game.

This post (along with your other posts) is just a fishing expedition of your part to shore up your ego, and inflate your delusional attitude to your programming.

Lastly - did you ask for this data from people? There are many countries where this sort of thing is completely illegal and enforceable by extreme measures. They WILL prosecute!

If you collect any form of data - you will need permission, and potentially you will need to fill in lots of GDPR paperwork and all sort of other stuff. Plus keep records, etc.

You are deliberately tracking IP addresses and who know what else... Think Matty!

Matty

Now I'm sure you're 'taking the piss out of me' when you say you've never heard of Quartiles in statistics  (says I with a science degree in applied mathematics....)

Sorry if you don't understand.

Re EU.  I know, Google has had me have this in place for years:https://mattiesgames.com/privacypolicy.html