Get ready to have your socks blown off...

Started by iWasAdam, January 28, 2022, 11:38:34

Previous topic - Next topic

iWasAdam

and another showing the routing posibilities

mainsworthy

it even blew my shoes off! terrific. this comment isnt enough, its fantastic. For a future version it would be great to have sounds sound like stuff so we could use them in a game, like laser fire, or expolsions and then use your app to alter them. great work!!!

iWasAdam

It's all been taken care of  8)
Currently there are 2 cores:
- TIA which is a replication of the Atari TIA chip used in their 8bit systems and consoles
- TIA 2 which is a more advanced version of the TIA architecture.
Both of these have added tuneable noise - so think explosions and zaps, etc.

What you are seeing is only the UI part of Alias. The audio core itself is fully portable. So you would use Alias to design and test your sounds and save a system/instrument file with all your sounds. In your App you just call the AudioCore, load in the instrument file and play the sounds when you want them.

The TIA/TIA2 instrument files would only be about 20-30k and would support up to 128 patches with up to 32 being played at once!

I'll do a TIA peek with a focus on 8bit sounds for you to see it in action.

Steve Elliott

Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Qube

Oo, very cool ;D I bet the code underneath is a complex beast :o
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Derron

Quote from: Qube on February 01, 2022, 07:59:28
Oo, very cool ;D I bet the code underneath is a complex beast :o

Essentially it is surely just

Import jl.quasarbeach

instance = new QuasarBeach()
instance.run()

Not much of a beast to me :)

PS: I wonder how these hmm "imperfect cables" survived QC in the "Adam Corp HQ". You can do better. BTW: checkout how Blender does with their new node connectors - using colours (you could use saturation if you want to keep it "blue") so you know about compatible "slots".

bye
Ron

iWasAdam

QuoteI bet the code underneath is a complex beast
Much simpler than QasarBeachII. There was a whole load of redundant code due to it's lineage from something else.

QBIII is built from the ground up with a tight core as standard. But this time around it features full synthesis as well as the other stuff (not yet added)

Currently it's about 3000 lines of code for it all. but that also includes provision for extensions...

And yep - Derron is quite correct:
#Import "../sokol/audiocore.monkey2"
   field audio:AudioCore

Admittedly you will then load an instrument/system file with all your settings.
But that would be something like:
audio.LoadSystem( "derronsounds.sy" )
audio.PlaySound()
audio.PlaySequence()
etc...

Still load to do - but I finally got all the modulators and connectors operational.

per voice patch you get:
4 x 16 step sequences
6 x variable LFOs with 128 waveforms
6 x user defined functions
1 x user controlled FX engine
with everything being routed and controlled by any of the modulators and they can also have inputs from modulators even themselves...

As for the wires and QC - I have to think of the users and they demand a certain level of retro. I tested much more photo synth like and they went nuts. So having faders is a step up for them. from text... ;)

iWasAdam

As promised here's a quick look at the TIA architecture of Alias (based on the Atari TIA chip). So expect some very quick retro sounds plus a quick look at the modulators - LFO, Step Sequencer and functions.

The Key thing to think about is how the original TIA operated - it had 32 different waveforms. each with a limited amount of notes plus a volume.
You told it what waveform, what note and volume and it produced the sound - until it was told another things or stopped. and this happed every frame. so 30 times a second.

In practical use, it was mainly used as beeps and bangs by simply cycling through the available notes in series whilst altering the sound and/or volume - this was simple as the VCS has so little RAM for tunes and a few cycling bytes could be sacrificed...

Using the Step Sequencer Alias can easily reproduce the classic Atari sound with ease - you just have to understand how the original sounds were created...

The TIA chip could produce 4 sounds at any time.