RocketBook

Started by Steve Elliott, August 22, 2020, 17:15:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Elliott

Even today I like to make traditional notes and drawings in notepads, I have several that I occasionally lose or become messy as I make alterations.  It's the quickest way to get down ideas rather than typing and fighting with predictive text, and drawings usually require a separate app.

Watching the Gadget Show yesterday RocketBook was recommended, so I've ordered an A5 Executive Lined Version (they also come in A4 and A6).  Basically you are not wasting paper because the notepad never runs out of paper!  Plus you can easily edit with a special cloth, but after 15 seconds the pen ink bonds with the 'paper' so you can't smudge it accidently.

The idea is you can re-use the pad after you scan it using the supplied app on your phone which sends your text/drawings to the destination of your choice, by putting a cross through the symbol at the bottom of the page (from the cloud to email).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07WFVXDG2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Qube

That's quite a neat idea. I'll grab one next time I'm having an Amazon shopping spree fix ;D
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Steve Elliott

1000 reviews giving it 4.5 out of 5 on Amazon from people that have actually used it (unlike you) and a Gadget Show recommendation, yeah each to their own.  And those greedy fuckers on Dragon's Den often miss so much.  And coming from somebody who doesn't understand why a particular game made lots of money, I would ignore your opinion on what sells.
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Matty

Re not smudging...

I wonder how well that works for us lefties....

Writing with a left hand from left to right across a page has always meant we brush our wrist over the words we write as we write them.

Steve Elliott

Then I suggest you adjust your writing technique.
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Derron

Quote from: Steve Elliott on August 22, 2020, 21:13:22
Then I suggest you adjust your writing technique.

This reads quite arrogant ... I thought the same what matty mentioned - and I am not left handed. I assume it is not that easy to relearn "writing" differently after 30+ years of "handwriting as tought". Having to take care "how to write" will lead to issues.

The pens you have to use here --- aren't they quite uhm... reacting to heat (vanishing when it becomes to hot)? If so, pay attention when noting stuff down in the summer sun.
Having to buy a bunch of color pens just to be able to "write/draw" on the "special" paper ... dunno... does not sound attracting.

I prefer cheap pencils + recycled paper (even am cutting out pieces of papers, reusing letter envelopes for notes ...). Production of "special" paper + ring + expensive pencils ... am not sure if that outweights the plants destroyed for the paper usage I have (not much).
Enjoy it but there is surely a reason that it is a "gadget", not mainstream.

bye
Ron

Steve Elliott

So it takes you 30+ years to realize the technique you're using has a major flaw?? To point that out is common sense not arrogance.  You would know all about arrogance Derron.

The product might be flawed, but it's not that expensive and as somebody who likes to jot things down it seems worth a try.  None of you have tried it so you're just guessing.
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Derron

I not tried a lot of things - but it does not mean I need to try them.

the "major flaw" a left handed has is that "we" (Europe [based]) write from left to right - as we do not want to brush the wet ink. Most left handers write with their palm "top left" of the current line (so their font gets this remarkable ""slant").
People write how they got tought - they did not really have had a chance to "think about that". Maybe Matty (as a left hander) can describe that better.

Naming this a "major flaw" (that most techniques are designed for "right handers" / majority of the population) is not the best one can do.

And yes, I did not test the product - so maybe it does not smear and smudge - this is what Matty asked for. And yes, without inventions stuff would be the same than in the stone age. So enjoy your product ... and you will surely be enthusiastic the first time, the second time ... and then find first little flaws in the design, the material, the pens ...
No problem - if the product becomes a hit, revision 2, 3 .... will follow, clones will appear, major companies will create versions ... a standard will be created and cheap devices are sold to the masses. People like me might like to try it out then too. No early adoptor thing for me - this time.

bye
Ron

Qube

Well that escalated quickly :))

I'm always grabbing A4 paper from the printer to jot something down so this'll be quite handy for me, like a grown up version of the magic wiper boards. Also quite handy to shove the A5 version in the car.

I'll pretend it's called Apple Rocketbook then the price is just about right ;D
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Steve Elliott

Well that escalated quickly :))

lol well I personally try to be positive on SB when posting on other people's threads.  Rather than here, seeing that somebody has bought something and then a certain somebody tells them it's a load of crap!  Very rude and tactless, you don't have to post on every single thread.  Apologies to Matty for a genuine question, you got caught in the cross-fire as I was pissed off.  I don't know if writing with a left hand will cause problems as I'm right handed.  Maybe ask on Amazon.

I'm always grabbing A4 paper from the printer to jot something down so this'll be quite handy for me... Also quite handy to shove the A5 version in the car.

I'll pretend it's called Apple Rocketbook then the price is just about right ;D

Well that's just it, I'm always jotting things down too, working through an algorithm on paper or writing some notes or some graphic designs, information I'm receiving during a telephone conversation and so on.  For me that all works best on a traditional pen and pad.  But the trouble with traditional notepads is they get messy very quickly after corrections, plus you might want more than one for different purposes.  I find an A5 pad the right kinda size, not too big or small but they do A4 and A6 versions too.

Now it's arrived and it works well, it's a bit over priced I agree, Apple or not lol.  But I use notepads all the time so it's something that I will get use out of.  The pen flows nicely and it's just like writing on traditional paper (smooth paper not fibrous).  Apparently 10 to 15 seconds for it to bond with the special paper then it will not smudge at all even after some vigorous rubbing (I tried).  When you're home you could tidy up your corrections or erase pages completely, which is very easy with the supplied cloth (dampened).  No residue what-so ever is left so it's like a new pad once again.  You have 36 pages to use so you could keep some things permanently in the notepad.  It comes with a black pen, but other colours are available.

I downloaded the RocketBook app to my phone, set my email address because I want my notes sent via email (you can also use various cloud services like DropBox).  You click the camera phone icon on the app and it recognises the page (and nothing else, not even the notepad ring binder or a background).  It shows you what will be scanned by over-laying a green section on the page, processes and sends to the place of choice in PDF Format.  You put a cross through one of the icons at the bottom of the page to idicate where you want the file sent.

The scans are very good (unless in poor light I guess, but you can scan later in better light) with very smooth curves as used in handwriting and drawing (4K on my phone).  The software has OCR and search facilities, although probably best to print key words unless your handwriting is very neat.  As well as key words I use the heading feature so you don't have to type in a filename, just scan and the PDF gets sent automatically.  You simply write some hashtags around the filename you require, so write on the notepad ## FILENAME ##

So basically you can use it as a traditional notepad that never runs out, that can be edited, wiped and over-written without something like Tippex for a standard paper notepad which you can't really write over and get high on it's fumes too, or the Tippex tape-like solution that puts a white film across edits.  Or you can very quickly get ideas, notes and drawings down, tidy up and then send as a PDF to view on phone tablet or computer as more of an organized work flow.  My wife is getting one now, because as a nurse she makes (confidential) patient notes and has to dispose of her notepads securely (which is bad for the environment and a hassle for her) rather than a wipe of a cloth.
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb