Fantastic Action Fishing Game - With Fish And Action

Started by hosch, August 22, 2020, 13:32:05

Previous topic - Next topic

hosch

I've released a demo of my very first AGK project today on my itch page. It's a nod to the old flash games I've played during school (and admittedly work  :)) ). Quirky artstyle, arcady and some light leveling up mechanics. You can check it out here:

https://hosch.itch.io/fantastic-action-fishing-game-with-fish-and-action

Currently it is Windows only, although AGK is very flexible, so I will see where I go from there.

I would love to hear what you think.

iWasAdam

really nice graphics :)

here's a thought for you:
The timer (top of the screen) attached to the line. Make it start far right, and move left across the screen with the number. for added points - make the fishing rod 'reel/handle' turn as well... Would look super cool  8)

Steve Elliott

Nice graphics, a similar art style to 'Day of the Tentacle'.  Will give it a try...
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

hosch

Thanks, the graphics are the only thing I am not responsible for, though  :))

Good idea with the moving timer, I will implement the functionality. Do you mean moving the handle of the HUD?

hosch

I implemented your suggestion, but it's a bit rough around the edges, because the artist needs to adjust the graphics a bit. I might add linear interpolation to smooth out the movement later down the line.

iWasAdam

I would move the number/counter as well... but nice 👍

hosch

Quote from: iWasAdam on August 26, 2020, 10:35:32
I would move the number/counter as well... but nice 👍
Thanks! I am not quite sure about your suggestion, because I find the timer to be more intuitive above the player. There are some testers playing it, maybe they suggest the same. We'll see  ;)

hosch

I did update the game on the itch.io yesterday.

The new version features some (not all have been implemented yet) suggestions by iWasAdam (thanks again!) regarding the design aspects of the game. I managed to get it more balanced with the help of the forums as well. I also added more polish and particle effects.

Some testers ran into problems with a dual monitor setup, specifically with two different resolutions. If you are running dual monitors, a small test/feedback would be appreciated. Thank you :)

https://hosch.itch.io/fantastic-action-fishing-game-with-fish-and-action

hosch

Okay, since this is meant to be a worklog (I accidentally posted this in the wrong section), this is what is planned for the next week:

• improve the market mini game from a game of just luck to a more skill based mini game
  • add more polish to the base game
  • add a bird bonus mini game

For the market mini game I want to create something revolving around haggeling. The different buyers will hold different signs up (good/average/bad price) and you have to strike the deal at the right time to get said price for your whole catch.

3DzForMe

I love the graphics, especially the expressions on the fisherman's face ;)
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

hosch

Thank you! I wanted to go for an artstyle similar to old Point & Click adventures/flash games. Glad you like it!

iWasAdam

looking great
watch the hands and the deal/no deal sign - they look very blocky compared to the art style

hosch

Thanks for your input! Those are placeholder assets to represent the mini game - they will be remade in the same art style. I wanted to know, if the new mini game is more fun than the old luck based one and wanted to tweak it accordingly. It makes up 50% of the gameplay after all (which also means, I will throw away 50% of the old mini game code, but tester feedback was clear that deals just based on luck was a bit frustrating).

Yesterday I finished the basic logic for the mini game. I added some screen shake to give the button presses more impact and started to brighten up the screen the closer the player is to making a deal. I also rewrote the tutorial for the market section to represent the new mechanic.

I plan on adding bell/ding sounds in a musical scale the closer the player gets to a deal, the final sound representing a good/average/bad deal next.

hosch

I changed the mini game from a handshake (which felt a bit disconnected from the rest of the market; just two floating hands) to a mini sea horse race. The current offer that is shown by the buyer is accepted, once the sea horse reaches the goal line. If you wait to long, the drag of the seahorse increases too much and it gets dragged all the way back to the left. You then automatically accept the bad offer.

I got this functionality working so far. Since I changed thing up quite a bit, my original code for playing the sound effects is obsolote, but I am changing it at the moment. Stay tuned  :D

hosch

I have completed the minigame and also the sound effect code. I added a good/average/bad deal screen to the end of the minigame, together with a little flashing effect.

I've added a wiggle and flash effect to the fish on the hook too, to give more weight to the players actions.

The game and gameplay loop is completed. I will start playtesting the new version and adjust accordingly. Then I will upload it to itch.io and I am hoping to release version 1.0 in late March/early April.