* VOID * Code a game comp - OMG They Killed Kenney * VOID *

Started by Qube, August 17, 2020, 10:29:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Qube

THIS COMP IS NULL AND VOID - DO NOT ENTER IT OR THE WORLD WILL END.

CLICK HERE TO TELEPORT TO THE NEW 11th GAME COMPETITION

Welcome to our 11th Code a Game Competition.

Competition Length : August 17th 2020 to October 18th 2020 @ 23:59:59 ( GMT )

Outline : Choose any free 2D or 3D asset pack from Kenney's Free game assets and make a game.

Detailed description :

• There was but now there is not. Nothing to see here, move along ;D

Limits :

No limitations except those listed above.

Prize fund :

The prize fund will be hidden until the end of the competition. Members are free to add to the prize fund by sending a PayPal payment to qube@syntaxbomb.com. The amount if you wish to add to the prize fund is entirely up to you and not mandatory to do.

This thread will be updated with those who have donated but not the amount.

Allocation of the prize fund will be :

1st place 50%
2nd place 30%
3rd place 20%

Rules :

1.. No copyright media or modified pre-built game templates allowed.
2.. Game frameworks are allowed as are free / purchased media.
3.. Individuals and teams are allowed to enter.
4.. Provide a download with at least a Windows executable ( or link if a web browser game only ). Include other OS's too if you want.
5.. Choice of language is totally up to you. You do not have to provide the source code.
6.. One entry per person / team.
7.. SyntaxBomb has zero rights to any work posted here. You / your team hold total control.
8.. Prize to the winners payable via PayPal only.
9.. All entries must be in by 23:59:59 on the 18th of Oct 2020 ( GMT ). No extensions to the deadline will be granted.
10.. Games must be of a completed status and not merely a demo / proof of concept.
11.. No remakes / clones of commercial games are allowed for example Donkey Kong which may lead to copyright infringement. A game my be done "in the style of" but must be clearly original and not a copy in a manner to which may infringe on a 3rd party copyright.
12.. There will be a one week gap after the comp ends before voting starts to allow members to play the games and for developers to fix any bugs in their game ( no new / additional features ) and re-upload. Once voting commences then no further bug fixes can be submitted until after voting has been completed.

How to submit your game :

Game submissions must be made in this thread. You may link to your external webpage or showcase post about your game. If you have no means of hosting your game then please PM Qube and arrangements will be made.

When submitting your game please adhere to the following format ( if relevant ) :

Game Title
Kenney Asset Pack chosen
Download link and OS requirements
Required dependancies
Brief info about your game
Any screen shots or video's
Media information ( If using free / purchased media then please state where you obtained said media. )

How are the winners picked :

Voting will take place from Monday the 26th of October 2020 for one week and a dedicated thread will be made and relevant voting information provided.

Get coding and good luck ;D

Current donators to the prize fund :

Qube
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

blinkok

Nice. I think the constraints are just right. Not too limiting
If anyone wants to develop using AGK and 3D Kenney assets i have made a Kenney model converter that generates a texture map for kenney assets.
I found this was necessary because AGK doesn't support .mtl colours.
Good luck everyone!

MikeHart

Xerra

Glad this isn't just make a game from one pre-chosen graphics pack else I'd probably have really struggled. On first look there's 6 pages of choices there in 2D category but some of these don't really have much in the way of items to make game elements, like bad guys or a main character so they're not going to work for the usual game types. There's a few obvious contenders there to work with for predictable games but I think this is going to call for some thinking outside the box.

In short, I haven't got a clue what to do at the moment. We absolutely can't add anything at all and only use the graphics from one pack is going to make this pretty tricky :)
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

Steve Elliott

Glad this isn't just make a game from one pre-chosen graphics pack.

Qube: Entrants must use only one asset pack.

:))

I know what I would pick, based on the lack of animation frames in the packs.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Xerra

Quote from: Steve Elliott on August 17, 2020, 17:35:17
Glad this isn't just make a game from one pre-chosen graphics pack.

Qube: Entrants must use only one asset pack.

:))

I know what I would pick, based on the lack of animation frames in the packs.

I meant there are several asset packs to pick from - even if you are allowed to only use one of them.
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

blinkok

One thing that stands out for me is that in the 3D packs their are no characters

Steve Elliott

One thing that stands out for me is that in the 3D packs their are no characters

Exactly - just scenery (2D packs too).  Maybe allow 2 packs Qube?  There's not enough to make a game from a lot of the 1 packs?
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

STEVIE G

Looks like there are only a couple which have backgrounds and characters,  none which are animated.    :(

Could I pick a monochrome pack which has an 8x8 solid square and just stretch and rotate it thin to make lines for a vector game?  ;D

Xerra

There's a bit of scope for tweaking images but, yeah, most of the sets don't have any kind of main char as they are background packs, or stuff like cartography symbols, or whatever. I've identified 7 that I will probably pick one from that are viable for me to use. I'm only looking at the 2D stuff, however.

My approach for a couple of these, without any main character image to work with, will be to use multiple images from the graphics to form something bigger. Something like a robot made out of junk, for example. Considering the objective is to make a game without having the distraction of making graphics then I'm looking at it as a challenge to do it this way.
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Steve Elliott

Personally, producing graphics is one of my fave parts of development along with coding.  I know Qube, Adam and others love to produce music too.  So why are we even doing this?  There is only 1 pack with (very) basic animation for characters, so I thought about the racing pack which is pretty good.  Everthing else seems like a pixel art doodle - ie no animation or any particular game in mind and no font graphics.  So lots of art will still need to be added anyway!...I've improved my pixel art so compared to these options it looks worse than I could produce myself, and definitely worse than somebody like Adam could produce.

Why can't the competition be...Produce a game in X amount of time?  Always.  Let the imagination run wild, or play it safe - but with a twist that you decide yourself!  Tricky to judge, but more fun.   :D
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Xerra

Sure, but the rules do say you can tweak, animate or modify images just as long as they are recognisable as being originally from the graphics set chosen. You can make 20 copies of an object and make your own animation if you like.
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Matty

Here's a crazy idea....make a game of your own choice with no restrictions on it bar the timeframe....and don't submit it....if indeed you want to make a game....simply make in parallel with the competition.  Then some will enter and some won't. The only difference being that one group is ineligible for a prize really or voting.

Steve Elliott

Sure, but the rules do say you can tweak, animate or modify images just as long as they are recognisable as being originally from the graphics set chosen. You can make 20 copies of an object and make your own animation if you like.

What's the point?  If you have to completely re-do the graphics anyway?  I can get on-board with good graphics sorted for you so you can work on coding and sound.  But when some packs don't even have a character, then how can you possibly create a game without game characters?!

Here's a crazy idea, Matt you're clearly a talented coder.  Just leave game art to somebody who can actually draw...Leave art as a hobby of yours and enjoy it.  Art is just not your thing so get some free art online or pay an artist.  Yes gameplay will take you so far, but art is something people notice immediately.  Jeff Goldblum enjoys singing and playing the piano, but I think that's something he should keep to himself, yet he tries to sell his music.  And you're the same.  Adam has some great advice, yet (like Jeff Goldblum) you think you know better, and then whine about the lack of game sales!

I can see you struggle and feel for you.  Adam and Derron guide you, but after so long I can see art is just not your thing, just keep at it as a hobby.  I grew up drawing, painting with oils and water colour, pastels and then onto photography, although pixel art is tricky in comparison!...Get a good artist to go along with your coding ability and you will definitely get more sales.
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Qube

I didn't think this pre built art idea would take very well but as others have said, it makes it a more level playing field for those that can draw and those that struggle.

Having said that, no one has a problem when some spend time doing their own music vs those that download free music / sound effects. So those that do write their own music end up with more to do than those who don't. It's a never ending maze of madness :P

As I didn't think this idea would appeal very much, even though it's been discussed a few times then consider Kenney killed and I'll shove up a different comp ASAP.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.