Is my taste in games all wrong? Or is it a generational thing.

Started by Matty, August 11, 2020, 21:08:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Matty

Greetings.

I went to the google play store on my tablet, brought up the recommended list of games, several dozen or even hundred titles.

Not one entry was one I would play today or at any time in my life since beginning playing video games decades ago.

Is my taste all wrong?

Is it a generational thing?

And then....when I realised most of these titles are aimed at people from ages 10 to 16 I thought " Do modern children really enjoy these games or do they simply not know what real games are? "

There was not one scrolling beat em up, proper strategy game, scfi 4x game, true arcade game, and sadly those that tried to resemble these had these horrid play mechanics of 'beat first level get a star, a treasure chest and get the next unit in this ever ongoing series of tutorial missions where there are zero decisions to be made just click where we tell you or don't play at all'

Derron

I did open up "games" in play store on my phone the first time (I think so)

it listed "risk", an "industry manager"-sim-game, some tower defenses, some rpgs ... and some casual games. Then i stopped scrolling.

What you get listed depends on:
- your phone (is it capable ...)
- your location (city, country)
- seasons (winter, summer ...)
- money you spent already (I never bought something via play store)

bye
Ron

Steve Elliott

Mobile games are generally a 'playground' aimed at a younger generation of gamer (the clue is in the title, Google Play).  You should at least look at Steam or Itch.io for something more appropriate.

Having said that, if you're only interesting in a narrow genre of game then the possibilities will be small.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

GrindalfGames

Quote from: Matty on August 11, 2020, 21:08:01
Is my taste all wrong?
Is it a generational thing?
Do modern children really enjoy these games or do they simply not know what real games are? '

These are some good questions that I have never thought about before but I have the same experience as you do with the play store.
Is it just the sort of person that plays games on their phone rather than buying a console, handheld or PC?(not a real gamer)

Either way, Thank you for the thought provoking questions.

Kryzon

I think it's to do with the medium. Something shiny and noisy that entertains you while you're sitting on the couch or bus or train etc., plus the fact that you only have a multitouch interface, no buttons, so your gameplay mechanics need to be designed with that in mind.

Though there are some simple games that I think are a bit fun, this is one example: https://poki.com/en/g/stickman-hook

Ashmoor

What kinds of games do you play? There are super cool games on google play. There is minimetro, monument valley, brawl stars, there is roblox and minecraft, 2048 and on and on. You just have not found the games you want or like but I'm pretty sure they are there.

Qube

I still play Red Alert 2 on a Windows XP VM so todays games I know nothing about and don't even look in the AppStore anymore as I'm sick of shiny glossy free games with in-app purchases. Well, the most modern game I still play is Rainbow Six : Vegas 2 on an Xbox 360 which is 12 years old and still awesome ;D
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Matty

To answer your question there are really only two mobile games I enjoy.

One is polytopia and the other is star dancer (ie one not mine and one mine) image attached.

Kryzon