What times we live in....

Started by 3DzForMe, July 23, 2020, 20:39:59

Previous topic - Next topic

3DzForMe

I'll have a go of No man's sky.... Update required, no bother I thinks, 5Gigs, 5 bloody gigs, christ I recall 1.44Mbyte HD disks. That'll be forever I thinks, 10 mins later, only 25 mins to go, ADSL, down copper 😁👍
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

Xerra

My first modem only went to 1200 baud. I used to dial up BBS' and then go make a cup of tea while the front screen ansi used to load in on that beast. That was around 25 years ago. I can remember first seeing broadband up and running at a friends house and being staggered that a page on the internet loaded up instantly. He probably only had a 2mb connection back then - around 1996, or so.
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

Derron

Yeah that time I have "heard" of people who hosted these famous "online counters" (you know ... thes number displaying images of that time?) ... they hosted on a "very expensive" 2mbit connection while I happily surfed with my 56k modem (WWW/internet times began with our own 14.4k modem, the slower ones were only used during the BTX and earlier times).

Now I am at 1000 mbit and yeah ... some stuff still takes too long (do not forget: your servers need to be on faster connections too). Yet 1gbit means for me I can get a bit more sometimes, so peaking at 105 Megabytes per second ... 50 Seconds for this patch. Now think of bigger patches - and they will get bigger and bigger over the next years.

bye
Ron

iWasAdam

oooh. downloading a 4mb 'file' that you had to start at night and prey it was finished by morning...

I used to go to an internet cafe because they had a T1 connection, download and they would transfer stuff to cd or floppy...

We had a local telecoms provider that did bbs, that hooked into the phone system if you knew the number. so you only paid for the connection and not the several hours on the phone.

Ah the days of interlaced jpegs. Coding a website meant making sure that all images, code, everything was 9k to 30k maximum - thats the total not the individual k :)

Derron

And we also reduced colors of GIFs to the bare needed minimum (sacrificing as much as acceptible :D).

Our first "flatrate" offer only contained "free calls" in your own city (so same prefix in the number). Internet had additional costs per minute - but yeah .... there were internet sites offering login data for local providers ... or from companies. That saved a lot of time albeit I never was sure if this "other side" wanted to offer free internet access to us others :)

But then .. 79 DM for the first DSL line (768 kbit) and bammm...revolution of speed started.

bye
Ron