Code a game competition - Win £250

Started by Qube, June 19, 2017, 01:45:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Elliott

Well £250 is a good incentive I think.  And do remember SB has been up for 5 minutes lol  ;)
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Steve Elliott

ok I have an idea and have started on the graphics  :D
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Matty

I like the general idea but I don't like having to post an exe..happy to post source....I find my web host and email doesn't like exes no matter what I try to load them as....so I'd rather- if I entered - to just post source and media or perhaps media in the source or do it as a web browser game or as an Android app (most source provided)...

Qube

Quote from: Matty on June 22, 2017, 23:56:26
I like the general idea but I don't like having to post an exe..happy to post source....I find my web host and email doesn't like exes no matter what I try to load them as....so I'd rather- if I entered - to just post source and media or perhaps media in the source or do it as a web browser game or as an Android app (most source provided)...
The idea of including a Windows exe is as if you post X language code and others don't have X language to compile in then they won't be able to play it, which is super sad :(

What I can do is add an FTP account so users who have these issues can upload a zip file if that helps?. If that would be of use then PM or email me and I'll send you the FTP details. Or I could create an exe with your entry and link to it. I'm flexible ya see :)
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Matty

So the theme is 'Asteroids'.....how loose is that theme?

muruba

Does it mean the music/sfx should also be self-made?

muruba

Not that I have anything to present, but what if I write a game and win the prize - I am wondering will I still be able to publish the game - sell from my website or publish on steam, for example?

Qube

QuoteSo the theme is 'Asteroids'.....how loose is that theme?
So long as it's recognised as an "Asteroids" type game then that is all cool with me. Asteroids, as in ship vs asteroids. However you work that it's up to you.

QuoteDoes it mean the music/sfx should also be self-made?
Coding wise should be all your own / teams doing ( frameworks and plugins are allowed, like Pyro and TimelineFX, but not modified complete game templates ). Media wise you can do your own work or use public domain / purchased goodies.

QuoteNot that I have anything to present, but what if I write a game and win the prize - I am wondering will I still be able to publish the game - sell from my website or publish on steam, for example?
SyntaxBomb has absolutely no rights to any work posted here. You can happily post your game, win the prize and then go on to make millions from it without a peep from here beyond tip top praise.
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD

Until the next time.

Steve Elliott

Asteroids, as in ship vs asteroids.

That's very rigid, and Atari are known for asking for games to be taken down.   :-X
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Qube

QuoteThat's very rigid, and Atari are known for asking for games to be taken down.   :-X
They are strict on direct clones of asteroids but you can not claim copyright on a ship firing on asteroids.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_clone
QuoteIn 1982, Atari brought a lawsuit against Amusement World, claiming that the arcade game Meteos violated Atari's copyright on Asteroids. Though the court identified twenty-two similarities in the game mechanics, it ruled against Atari citing these elements as scènes à faire for games about shooting at asteroids.

Until the next time.

3DzForMe

Okay, this might inspire some others, I thought - I'll go Monkey X for this competition, then quickly realised struggling with syntax that would manage to scale an image - asteroods from native code might be a bit of a stretch in 5 weeks due to my rusty ness with Monkey X.

So... back to my old haunt of B3D, found some pointy rocket stuff, yeah I'm sure y'all from B3D land recognise the rockets within the image above, so I might need to crack open blender to render my own rockets to aim at the incoming asteroods. Point is - I've got a starting point... My zany take on asteroods. Will it be a winner? At a stretch, the big question is can I finish it in time what with possibly starting a new job in that timeframe? Exciting stuff.

I'm just growing some graphics within a 3D conway life simulation thing I put together a while ago - well it should ensure the textures are original as well as the code ;)

BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

Qube

For my take on this I'm going for a full HD 2D version with rendered graphics. 1920 x 1080 at 60fps but the asteroids are only 30fps or else I'd end up with super silly texture sizes which would explode my iMac.

So far I have the basics of the asteroids moving and rotating etc + the ship movement is fully in.

Still a lot to do but this is an early ( alpha ) look on how it's shaping up. I don't get much time to spend on things like this but I think I can complete it before the end of July :)

Next I'll add the ship firing and explosions effects then take a break and finally get some time to whip up a super cheesy theme tune with the East West Hollywood Orchestra library that I've had a whopping 10 minutes to play with so far.

Early screen shot ( resized down - background image by Fiona Fedler and public domain as far as I am aware ) :

Until the next time.

Dwapook

Quote from: Qube on June 23, 2017, 06:21:08

Coding wise should be all your own / teams doing ( frameworks and plugins are allowed, like Pyro and TimelineFX, but not modified complete game templates ). Media wise you can do your own work or use public domain / purchased goodies.

So, am I reading this right? I'm allowed to use the BlitzMax Ignition framework?

Does it have to be a spaceship versus asteroids, or can I make an asteroids style game using a different setting/player/enemies?

muruba

Quote from: Qube on June 24, 2017, 09:34:52
For my take on this I'm going for a full HD 2D version with rendered graphics. 1920 x 1080 at 60fps but the asteroids are only 30fps or else I'd end up with super silly texture sizes which would explode my iMac.

Looks very nice!

Steve Elliott

Does it have to be a spaceship versus asteroids, or can I make an asteroids style game using a different setting/player/enemies?

My question too.  I have something else in mind.
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb