November 29, 2020, 05:31:13 PM

Author Topic: Inkjet printers  (Read 798 times)

Offline CodingKnight

Re: Inkjet printers
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2020, 06:38:15 PM »
That's interesting. I'm looking to buy a printer myself soon so that's helpful advice. So basically the replacement toner for Laser printers is more expensive than the replacement ink for inkjet?

Offline Kippykip

• Kippykip Forums!
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2020, 07:47:52 PM »
I work in an office supply retail store and the return rates of HP and Epson are f*cking ridiculous.
Canon and Brother return rates are probably the lowest out of them all, albeit depends on the exact model (the $50-$70 AUD ones tri-color sorta canons come back too, but not close to the rate as the HP and Epsons).

I'd probably start looking at the Canons that take the traditional 4 separate CYMK cartridges and avoid the tri-colour ones.
The brother ones while also just as reliable, the ink seems to be hard to find. (In the case at the retail shop I work at, we only sell the cartidges individually for them typically and they're hella expensive).

Then there's also these EcoTank/refillable sorta style printers that take cheap bottles, but the printers are expensive. I really like the concept of these machines but no matter what brand, christ they get returned a lot!
If they don't break down within the first 3 months, they usually break down right after the warranty expires.
If you plan on going this route, see if whatever shop you're buying from has some kinda extra warranty because you'll almost certainly need it.

(ok thats my mini printer rant hope you enjoyed lmfao)

Offline dawlane

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2020, 08:20:29 PM »
That's interesting. I'm looking to buy a printer myself soon so that's helpful advice. So basically the replacement toner for Laser printers is more expensive than the replacement ink for inkjet?
In general, yes. Try comparing at a few laser printers and ink/bubble jet printers and then compare the toners with photoconductors and ink cartridges. Also compare the total estimated pages printed and price per page. Most sellers will have that information.

I own an Epson Aculaser CX11NF. And just one toner works out around £50-£85 depending on the capacity, seller and whether or not it's a genuine Epson. And I would't get much change out of £300 for a replacement photo conductor. So if I had to replace all at once, it would probably work out just as cheap to buy a new laser printer.

I also own an Epson ECO-Tank L555. I recently bought genuine refills for all four colours set me back £30. Usually they cost just under £10. But I hadn't used it for a quite while and had to do some serious head cleaning by using a head cleaning kit and removing the head face to soak over night a couple of times. It now prints like new. To avoid that type of messing around, only turn it on when you are going to use it and cover it up when not in use. Plus, you need to print of a sheet at least once a week. If you follow a strict routine, you should find out that head cleaning is a lot less of a hassle. If it doesn't clean after two goes at using the printers auto cleaning, then it's the head cleaning kit, or you'll just be wasting ink.

With any printer, be it ink/bubble jet or laser; make a note on the types of paper that you can use with it. Using sticky back label paper is not a good idea to use with a laser printer.

Then there's also these EcoTank/refillable sorta style printers that take cheap bottles, but the printers are expensive. I really like the concept of these machines but no matter what brand, christ they get returned a lot!
If they don't break down within the first 3 months, they usually break down right after the warranty expires.
And I've never had any issues with any Epson printer. Other that head cleaning, or using non genuine Epson consumables.

Offline GfK

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2020, 08:35:25 PM »
Just got rid of my mono laser printer.  Dirt cheap to run but it was a big old lump and taking up too much space, like the A3 Epson, and hardly ever used any more.

If you only print letters, invoices and stuff then a mono laser is a good option.  Colour laser printers are much more expensive to run.
Intel I9-9900K 3.6-5.0GHz | GeForce RTX2070 8GB | 32GB RAM | 500GB NVMe M.2 SSD | 1TB HDD | Windows 10 x64.
MSI Apache Pro | I7-7700HQ | GeForce GTX1060 3GB | 8GB RAM | 128GB SSD | 1TB HDD | Windows 10 x64.

Offline CodingKnight

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2020, 07:42:59 AM »
Well this is a lot of info. I actually own a lexmark E210 right now. It still works, but it's so old that I can't find any drivers to be using with it. So it's practically useless right now.

Offline dawlane

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2020, 07:32:10 PM »
Well this is a lot of info. I actually own a lexmark E210 right now. It still works, but it's so old that I can't find any drivers to be using with it. So it's practically useless right now.
Have you seen the post on https://superuser.com/a/1386880

Just got rid of my mono laser printer.  Dirt cheap to run but it was a big old lump and taking up too much space.
The depends on how you would define cheap. You get more value for your money with high capacity toners than the standard or light. Even though high capacity toners cost more.
Some thing like a genuine Ricoh SP204 high capacity toner costing around the £80 mark, would on average print 2,6000 pages (3.2p per page). While a genuine standard toner costing £75, would on average print 1,500 pages (5.0p per page).

A compatible high capacity replacement costing half of the price of the genuine toner, would be a money saver, but you are taking a chance with a compatible replacement with print quality and the toner cartridge possibly being of poor construction that it could damage the printer.

Offline Kippykip

• Kippykip Forums!
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2020, 01:13:54 PM »
Just got rid of my mono laser printer.  Dirt cheap to run but it was a big old lump and taking up too much space, like the A3 Epson, and hardly ever used any more.

If you only print letters, invoices and stuff then a mono laser is a good option.  Colour laser printers are much more expensive to run.
^^^
Yeah I ended up getting a laser myself at the beginning of the year, this is personally the unit I've got:
https://www.brother.com.au/en/products/all-printers/printers/hl-1210w-aus

For a laser it's small as hell, but doesn't do scanning or colour. So I just use my old canon when I need to do any of those (which isn't often, it's only ever used for CD labels now lol)

Offline GfK

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2020, 02:39:49 PM »
Yeah, I went a bit "belt and braces" when I got my Samsung.  It could print, including automatic double-sided, print booklets, flatbed scan, multi-page automatic scan, photocopy, scan direct to a PC (without you being near the PC), even send faxes.

I never sent a fax on it.  Mainly because I was probably the only person on earth who had a fax machine.  I may have been told to "go and fax myself" (or something like that) on many an occasion but I didn't see the point.
Intel I9-9900K 3.6-5.0GHz | GeForce RTX2070 8GB | 32GB RAM | 500GB NVMe M.2 SSD | 1TB HDD | Windows 10 x64.
MSI Apache Pro | I7-7700HQ | GeForce GTX1060 3GB | 8GB RAM | 128GB SSD | 1TB HDD | Windows 10 x64.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal