AGK + ATOM

Started by Santiago, June 30, 2020, 01:18:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Santiago

Hi, I met a person who made AGK usable with ATOM.

For me, this is all very new, I did not even know that ATOM existed, but since I am at a time when I am willing to learn new things, this ATOM + AGK seemed great to me.

something like IDeal + Blitz3D was.

I think this is what they call the IDE ?, I don't know how to define it, but it really improves the way of working to develop with AGK.

creator @gosukiwi
link, https://github.com/gosukiwi/atom-agk

I passed him some comments, and he quickly added them to the pack, he is very attentive with the restraints, which is very good.

I hope it works for you.

I am now working with Tora Tora !, using ATOM and the pack that I create @gosukiwi

hosch

Cool, I've recently started with AGK. The default IDE of AGK is lightyears ahead of the one in Blitz (which made Ideal pretty much a must for me) and I am satisfied with it so far, to be honest. However, I will give this a try. Thanks for pointing it out!

EDIT
I've tried it out for a bit. I am missing the variable and function overview, besides, it is pleasant to work in atom.

hosch

If anyone knows how to enable it, I'd love to know ;)

Santiago

yes, to install AGK complement is something like this.

CTRL + ,     settings

go to "Install"

and + Install Packages type :

"AGK"

is the only pack with AGK

name is:

atom-agk
version 0.6.0
author: gosukiwi

i hope to help, my english si so bad, that i don't understand the question 90% times

Amon

Thanks for the heads up on this. So far it's working perfectly. Very fast and smooth editor.

Santiago

yes!, now i working 100% with ATOM+AGK

is realy better.

and i make a few suggestion and he upload new version very fast with my suggestions.

so, that is very good.

Steve Elliott

It looks like a professional IDE.   8)
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Skaven

sublime is sort of the original ide that spawned the style of editors that atom tries to be
so atom is the more advanced and surprisingly slow version of sublime
what most developers are moving to these days is visual studio code
its the evolution of atom and what facebook and microsoft uses for their projects
im not sure if agk has vscode extension though

gosukiwi

Hi guys, original author here :) I'm glad you like my extension!

Just wanted to make a few clarifications:

Atom is a text editor, not an IDE. As such, while it provides some specialized features, it's more similar to say, Vim, than Visual Studio.

That being said, there are many packages in Atom which add IDE-like features, like autocompletion, go to definition, etc. My package does add some features but it doesn't aim to be a full-featured IDE.

The main reason I made the package was to be able to use my Vim-like key bindings while working on AGK projects (Atom does have a "vim mode" package).

Quote from: Skavensublime is sort of the original ide that spawned the style of editors that atom tries to be
so atom is the more advanced and surprisingly slow version of sublime
what most developers are moving to these days is visual studio code
its the evolution of atom and what facebook and microsoft uses for their projects
im not sure if agk has vscode extension though

Sublime is a text editor, not an IDE, which in turn is inspired by TextMate. And who knows what TextMate was inspired by :P
Sublime is written in C++ and "nagware", it is free but it will pop up an annoying alert from time to time when saving. It got really popular some time ago, but was later killed by Atom and now VSCode. Both written in the JavaScript using Electron, aimed initially at web developers but now adopted by many different areas.

Atom was made by GitHub, and then GitHub was aquired by Microsoft, so in theory, Atom belongs to Microsoft now. That makes things really weird because Microsoft has VSCode now, it's alternative to Atom, and now much more popular.

VSCode is indeed an impressive piece of software, and the official development environment for languages like Go, which is quite impressive. VSCode is more popular than Atom and it does provide more IDE-like features.

AFAIK, there is no AGK plugin for VSCode. I personally don't use VSCode, I like Atom's vim mode so I just use Atom :) Also it does feel less bloated than VSCode.

Personally I don't think Atom is going anywhere, but it certainly isn't hyped, so it will most likely stabilize. VSCode on the other hand is blowing up right now and will probably be the most popular editor for quite some time.

Quotewhat facebook and microsoft uses for their projects

I'm sure Microsoft devs using .NET or C/C++ will just continue to use Visual Studio over VSCode, VSCode is aimed at the web stack, languages like PHP, Ruby, Go, and particularly JavaScript.

Of course, it is possible to run .NET in VSCode, and many other languages, but I wouldn't say "It's what they use for their projects".

Same for Facebook, I think that, while VSCode is popoular, most people end up using whatever editor they want.

Again, thanks all for taking the time to try out the package and thanks Santiago for sharing it! :D

Skaven

good work gosukiwi
i use sublime most of the time myself
and yes you are correct about most things
but i would like to note that when i said facebook is using vscode i am basing my facts on things like https://developers.facebook.com/blog/post/2019/11/19/facebook-microsoft-partnering-remote-development/
there was also an article stating that most microsoft projects were moving on to using vscode but i cannot find that particular one

gosukiwi

VSCode surely looks like the future  ;D

hosch

Quote from: gosukiwi on July 02, 2020, 22:28:19
Hi guys, original author here :) I'm glad you like my extension!

Just wanted to make a few clarifications:

Atom is a text editor, not an IDE. As such, while it provides some specialized features, it's more similar to say, Vim, than Visual Studio.
(...)
Again, thanks all for taking the time to try out the package and thanks Santiago for sharing it! :D
That explains the missing function overview :D Nonetheless impressive job!