December 04, 2020, 08:13:14 AM

Author Topic: Virtual Sets - just glorified rear projection?  (Read 356 times)

Offline Kronos

Virtual Sets - just glorified rear projection?
« on: June 17, 2020, 05:16:18 PM »
Been reading a few articles and watching video's about the tech used in Mandalorian whereby a virtual set can be made in Unreal engine and then projected onto screens live whilst allowing the camera to move and turn with the scenery moving correspondingly. This allows for in camera compositing and does away with various green screen issues. Also allows scenery to be amended or re-coloured on the fly.

Seems quite interesting but at the end of the day a bit limited in application hence glorified rear projection.

However I was thinking what if you rendered the set objects and actors into one depth buffer(using a 3d camera?) and then the projected scene into a second depth buffer and then somehow compare the two you could potentially insert the objects/actors properly into the scene ie actors could appear to go behind objects rendered on the screens.

I also wondered how much it costs to replace each screen. What if you get a dead pixel in your screen. Do you have to chuck the whole thing out.

Be interesting to see where they go from here anyway.

I think green screen will be around for a while certainly for those on a lower budget.

Discuss...

Offline iWasAdam

Re: Virtual Sets - just glorified rear projection?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2020, 06:07:55 AM »
The key thing is light. in the LED system, there is emitted light front all direction even above (if the set has top and 360 walls).
This prevents green 'spill' and gives the real finished lighting on the actors, etc.

The LED system can also have windows that follow the actor that can be set to other colors, e.g. green. so that further additions such as high res captures added back into the shot.

Another advantage is for the actor. They have an actual sense of place, not just a bit of green to act against, giving them more to work with.

It's a new spin on an old trick, but it's looking mighty fine :)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal