Epic just took the gloves off... UE5 announced

Started by GaborD, May 13, 2020, 18:23:39

Previous topic - Next topic

GaborD

We will have to see what kind of PCs you need for this. Certainly not a low spec indie engine. :)

In any case, this is a huge leap for artists, no more wasting half your time on remeshing, normalbaking, light prebaking and heavyhanded texture optimizations. If it works as advertised, it changes our workflows massively.
Imagine the download sizes for those next gen games using 300 million poly statues and 8K textures for everything... better stock up on harddrives.
Not sure what to think of it yet lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC5KtatMcUw

Steve Elliott

I think the backgrounds are incredibly realistic but the character is cartoony in comparison, that kinda spoilt it for me.

Off topic but I generally don't want a game to look like the real world, I see that every day or in films/documentaries of other locations around the world.  There are exceptions though, like FPS games or maybe a Rollercoaster Tycoon type game.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Santiago

:o :o :o :o

I think the graphics race is over, they have already achieved the impossible, and we already know that we can wait for the future, graphics in better games than those in movies, as fascinating as reality.

our brain hardly makes any difference whether it is real footage, or if it is 3D.

reason why I believe that now the new technological careers of videogames point towards a new horizon, the sensations, to deceive the brain to feel, like when we dream, and to make us believe that we are really living what we play.

the graphics are incredible, I hope that the programming, the dynamics, the movements, are also part of this technological revolution.

The brain, when something that seems real detects that it is not, activates rejection. "uncanny valley"

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valle_inquietante

degac

If there's a problem, there's at least one solution.
www.blitzmax.org

Derron

Looks preeetty cool - but some dust-particle effects were "puffing" into the scene and the water when she walked through it - looked fake and incorrectly simulated. Also these bugs looked a bit "pasted in".

The "demo" will already have been a costly and time intense production.

At the end there will be a lot of games for the PS5 ... NOT looking 10% as good as this demo :D

bye
Ron

Amon

Madjack

The water ripples looked oddly low resolution in comparison to the rest of the scenery (and they seemed to quickly move on from it).
Perhaps real-time vertex manipulation is still a bottleneck.

However in terms of the sheer volume of graphical data being shoved into your eyeballs each frame, it was impressive.

But if they're down to pixel sized polygons could they be called voxels? Maybe poxels?

iWasAdam

in a related note:
Unreal is now completely free to use for any project that makes less than $1,000,000 After that the usual 5-10% of revenue kicks in.

Xerra

Quote from: iWasAdam on May 14, 2020, 07:38:50
in a related note:
Unreal is now completely free to use for any project that makes less than $1,000,000 After that the usual 5-10% of revenue kicks in.

I'm not sure that makes a good business model or not. I don't know how many games actually get that kind of revenue, although I could be completely blind here. I know AAA console titles are pulling in a lot. Games like GTA 5 with its online component, and so on. But, to me, it seems like they must be losing out on a fair bit of cash setting their minimum so high.

To me this suggests that they're directly trying to attract the high-end users of Unity, as I think their min-sales threshold is much lower. They wrote the engine for their own use so may as well let others use it to attract the developers that make games that will do that kind of revenue. I guess that makes sense with Playstation 5 incoming. There's some titles that are bound to be great earners if they're going to debut on that.

M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

Derron

I assume all these <$1,000,000 are creating more burden than needed - think "free licences" get less (priority) support than others.
Also the $900,000 title of today can have a AAA sequel >1,000,000 as next - based on a "custom Unreal based engine" the dev team uses now.

Surely they also have an asset store ... so the more "free users" are using it, the more will contribute ... and there they earn money too. So the engine becomes a vehicle to transport the other ecosystem assets.

bye
Ron

Steve Elliott

in a related note:

I'm not sure that makes a good business model or not. I don't know how many games actually get that kind of revenue, although I could be completely blind here. I know AAA console titles are pulling in a lot. Games like GTA 5 with its online component, and so on. But, to me, it seems like they must be losing out on a fair bit of cash setting their minimum so high.

Yes I agree, and I do wonder why these large companies are devaluing the games industry so much by giving so much away for free.  Somebody here was talking about mobile users complaining that a 99 cents game was a rip off!  Because so much hard work is de-valued with so much free software about.
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

playniax

And I just learned Unity. Does this mean I have to change again?  ;D

Just kidding looks impressive...

Steve Elliott

And I just learned Unity. Does this mean I have to change again?  ;D

lol for casual games Unity is bloated enough, but...

Imagine the download sizes for those next gen games using 300 million poly statues and 8K textures for everything.
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Derron

You can just stream it ... so the whole computation is done elsewhere with you receiving a "average 4k stream".

bye
Ron

Kryzon

I'm interested in that global illumination system. They're using it on scanned assets, but I wonder how it looks with lower-poly NPR (think stylized, cartoony) assets.

This UE5 upgrade will raise the bar and push other real-time engines (Unity, Blender's Eevee etc.) to improve their graphics.