Jumping Gal in AGK

Started by zxretrosoft, May 11, 2020, 22:24:04

Previous topic - Next topic

zxretrosoft

Hello friends,

I made a little game in quarantine inspired by old Jumping Jack (ZX Spectrum). There are dozens of levels and lots and lots of enemies 8)  :D

I hope, you will like it!

Thank you everyone!  ::)

Android:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zxretrosoft.jumpinggal

PC (direct download ZIP):
https://www.instaluj.cz/jumping-gal/download

Steve Elliott

Cool. Jumping Jack was a quirky funny and challenging game back in the day.   :D
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

zxretrosoft

Quote from: Steve Elliott on May 11, 2020, 22:32:42
Cool. Jumping Jack was a quirky funny and challenging game back in the day.   :D

Yes, exactly! I remembered him  ^-^

3DzForMe

Jumping Jack was defo one of my top 10 speccy games, glad to see your remake 😁
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

iWasAdam

looks very well done.
A thought would be to tone down the background - that would make the levels and characters pop and make them more visible. E.G.

zxretrosoft

Yes true. There is an alternation of day and night at least  ::)

After each jump up, 1 hole is added. Life is lost if Gal falls to the lowest floor or if time runs out (pointer at top left). On the contrary, 1 life will be increased by 5,000 points. Every collision, whether with your head on the upper floor or with an animal, results in a certain loss of score points. The aim of the game is to record the highest score. It is automatically saved to your computer / phone. A small bar below the point counter serves as an indicator of how far you are from the highest score yet. The game contains 50 levels with beautiful backgrounds, alternating day and night.

iWasAdam

the issue with very bright backgrounds is they detract from the actual game - making it harder to see and play

Steve Elliott

the issue with very bright backgrounds is they detract from the actual game - making it harder to see and play

I agree with Adam, the lines you're meant to be jumping onto need to be clearer, they're almost blending into the background at the moment.  At least change the colour of the lines because you have a green background with green lines!

Another thing, in the original game if you hit your head and became unconscious you would fall through a hole.  In your game this doesn't happen, you seem to float above a hole.
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

zxretrosoft

Another thing, in the original game if you hit your head and became unconscious you would fall through a hole.  In your game this doesn't happen, you seem to float above a hole.

There is a short delay, because it would be very difficult. (The original game has only a few holes. Here in Jumping Gal there are 30-50 holes in some levels.)

OK. Background it is not a problem to modify in the new version  ;) Thank you guys!

Xerra

I like the sprites and backgrounds in general although, as the guys have pointed out, there is a clash of visual information which makes it a bit hard to see what you're doing in certain parts.

I'm not sure about the gradual fade-in on the 3rd? level where the blue/black background which is a bit distracting when the player should be concentrating on the game.

Where you have the reset high-score option showing on the game screen isn't a good idea. This should be on the title screen with any other options, as it takes up game real-estate and nobody would be thinking of doing that function while actually in the middle of a game.

The white lines moving around on the floor seem a bit excessive if you're starting the game from the earliest level. Maybe a few less and gradually increase them to make the game harder. Additionally sometimes they seem to stun you and others you would drop down. Not sure if that's a gameplay thing or maybe it's just a random event but it's inconsistent.

Sound is used simply so as not to annoy which is very good.

I mentioned the sprites and backgrounds but will reiterate that they are both very nice but perhaps thinking about colouring a little so that the emphasis of the players view is on the gameplay and the backgrounds remain what they should be, background images.

I never played the original Jumping Jack so I can't testify to the gameplay but the closest thing this reminds me of really is probably Frogger.

Keep up the good work.
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

zxretrosoft

Quote from: Xerra on May 16, 2020, 11:00:18
I like the sprites and backgrounds in general although, as the guys have pointed out, there is a clash of visual information which makes it a bit hard to see what you're doing in certain parts.

I'm not sure about the gradual fade-in on the 3rd? level where the blue/black background which is a bit distracting when the player should be concentrating on the game.

Where you have the reset high-score option showing on the game screen isn't a good idea. This should be on the title screen with any other options, as it takes up game real-estate and nobody would be thinking of doing that function while actually in the middle of a game.

The white lines moving around on the floor seem a bit excessive if you're starting the game from the earliest level. Maybe a few less and gradually increase them to make the game harder. Additionally sometimes they seem to stun you and others you would drop down. Not sure if that's a gameplay thing or maybe it's just a random event but it's inconsistent.

Sound is used simply so as not to annoy which is very good.

I mentioned the sprites and backgrounds but will reiterate that they are both very nice but perhaps thinking about colouring a little so that the emphasis of the players view is on the gameplay and the backgrounds remain what they should be, background images.

I never played the original Jumping Jack so I can't testify to the gameplay but the closest thing this reminds me of really is probably Frogger.

Keep up the good work.

Thank you so much for this feedback! I perceive everything, I continue to work! Thanks, friend!!  ;)

zxretrosoft

Well, friends,
at least some progress (v 1.1.5):

new score system
save the highest level
less distracting background
dark ground he walks on
added pause
new graphic elements
minor bug fixes

Steve Elliott

Some really nice graphics, but still the lines are green against a green background!  Change the colour of the lines.  You should also allow a proper full screen mode, rather than maximizing the window.  And when maximizing the window a black bar appears, so the characters come in from the window edge and not the gameplay edge where everything else is drawn.

macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

zxretrosoft

Quote from: Steve Elliott on May 19, 2020, 11:30:50
And when maximizing the window a black bar appears, so the characters come in from the window edge and not the gameplay edge where everything else is drawn.

Thank you, friend! Fixed for now!  ;)

Steve Elliott

macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb