Polymaniacs Trailer

Started by STEVIE G, June 18, 2017, 16:57:00

Previous topic - Next topic

STEVIE G

Quote from: LineOf7s on June 21, 2017, 13:56:38
It (the demo) plays very nicely.  I was curious as to how well the 4-player split screen worked, so I went into Party Games and clicked on "Number Of Players", which increased it to 2.  At that point, however, everything locked up, hard.  Took quite a bit of jiggery pokery to get it to die (it was set to fullscreen at the time and wouldn't let me see the Task Manager).

I'll play around with it a bit more but I can see this being a lot of fun.

Just checked this. I think I know the issue - did you have a joypad plugged in?
The demo is restricted to 2 players but in the full version if you have a joypad plugged in it allows you to go to 3 or 4 etc.. So when you click on the players it's trying to find 3 and that doesn't exist as an option - hence continuous loop!! I didn't consider this bit of code when putting together the demo .. doh.

I'll sort a new version shortly.

STEVIE G

New demo uploaded.  Thanks for spotting this one Lof7's!

STEVIE G

Quote from: Madjack on June 20, 2017, 23:05:32
Quote from: STEVIE G on June 20, 2017, 17:40:49
Well, at long last it's released.

https://stevieg.itch.io/polymaniacs

There's a free demo version at the bottom for anyone interested in giving it a wee try.

Cheers
Stevie

Wow! Congrats on the game's release. I know this has been in dev for years now.
Did it turn out as you'd hoped and was it ore work than you anticipated?

Thanks man. 

The final version is more than what I'd originally envisioned all those years ago.  I had a detailed to-do list and slowly worked my way through it.  Admittedly, there were a few 'feature creeps' with new vehicles and stages, pickups and powerups and 60 rather than 30 challenges, 40 rather than 20 Party Games etc..  I'm glad I added these in as it kept my interest and adds something to the mayhem.  It's a real relief to say that I've done it :) 

p.s. How's TU2 coming along? 

Steve Elliott

Well I'm buying a copy.  Love the gameplay and graphic style.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

STEVIE G

Quote from: Naughty Alien on June 21, 2017, 12:23:33
..very nice..i like it..how long have you been working on this man ?

Thank you.  It pains me to say, I started making this officially in 2008  :o

That's not to say I've been developing this for 9 years.  It was quite intense initially for a few years and on and off for the next few. Life got in the way for a few more but last summer I decided it was time to get this one over the line so it's been a pretty intense last 6 months. Probably did more in this time than the previous 3 years.

Needless to say I will never take on anything of this size again - nice short games from now on  ;D

STEVIE G

Quote from: Steve Elliott on June 21, 2017, 18:56:38
Well I'm buying a copy.  Love the gameplay and graphic style.

Cheers - yer a gent!

LineOf7s

The time difference has robbed this of its relevance a bit, but I can confirm that JOYPAD PLUGGED IN = VERY YES.

I'll grab the new demo after work and give it another going over.  :)

Just to confirm, this is vanilla Blitz3D, innit?
"Life's biggest obstacles are your greatest opportunities to excel"

STEVIE G

QuoteJust to confirm, this is vanilla Blitz3D, innit?

It is indeed.
Stevie

LineOf7s

Talk about yer good advertising for the viability of Blitz3D in 2017...   :D

STEVIE G

Aye, the old dog seems to work just fine in all versions of Windows.  Only minor issue was for win10 users having to download directplay - resolved by just dropping the dplay.dll into the game directory.

LineOf7s

Bought a copy.  Yay!

I seem to have the same issue that was reported on the itch.io page with the joypad:  I went to configure it before I played and it had all the functions listed as "Undefined".  Click on one of them and down the bottom it says to press a button etc, but the "Undefined" changes instantly to " - Roll Axis".  Hitting Escape to cancel doesn't do anything because it's already been assigned (to the aforementioned " - Roll Axis".

This is with both a wired Xbox 360 controller and my Logitech gamepad that wants to be an Xbox 360 controller.

Also, Challenge 3 is doing my head in.   And then I met Challenge 4.  You deserve a good punching.

STEVIE G

Quote from: LineOf7s on June 22, 2017, 11:15:39
Bought a copy.  Yay!

I seem to have the same issue that was reported on the itch.io page with the joypad:  I went to configure it before I played and it had all the functions listed as "Undefined".  Click on one of them and down the bottom it says to press a button etc, but the "Undefined" changes instantly to " - Roll Axis".  Hitting Escape to cancel doesn't do anything because it's already been assigned (to the aforementioned " - Roll Axis".

This is with both a wired Xbox 360 controller and my Logitech gamepad that wants to be an Xbox 360 controller.

Also, Challenge 3 is doing my head in.   And then I met Challenge 4.  You deserve a good punching.

Damn!  I'll need to create some sort of test program - leave it with me.  I don't have a pad to check here but colleagues managed to get it working with the Xbox 360 controllers.  Are you on win10?  I assume you've used the controllers with other PC games?

As for challenge 3 and 4, well they are meant to be a challenge - I could tell you what's best to do on both but that'd be cheating :) 

STEVIE G

[Not longer required]

3DzForMe

Congratulations on the release Stevie, will u be revisiting Stramash at all? I think you made that a while ago, also great fun.
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

STEVIE G

Quote from: 3DzForMe on July 23, 2017, 22:53:08
Congratulations on the release Stevie, will u be revisiting Stramash at all? I think you made that a while ago, also great fun.

Thanks.  Stramash haha - that was fun to do - I'm surprised you remember it  ;D  I couldn't really see a full game in there.  I'm currently playing with a few physics based ideas so you never know - it may rear it's ugly head again.