More windows 10 ranting

Started by iWasAdam, May 10, 2020, 15:36:26

Previous topic - Next topic

iWasAdam

ok, transfer time:

<rant mode on>

mac instant
linux more or less instant
windows 10 - let's, wait a bit. how about discovering <<-- WTF, yeah ok, whatever dude wax your board for you? Copy you say. ok let me think about it - copy one file by one a few seconds each FFS 6 minutes!

the cpu can transfer several gigs around ever few millisecs faster with a SSD - 6 minutes Your having a laugh?

My only conclusion:
What is windows actually doing? Is it really transfering the file, or opening and scanning and checking stuff - WHY? unless it is reporting back what it has found? or maybe it was deliberately programmed to make it look like it's doing something (anything). I'm going for the former cause that sounds like MS shite!

Sorry. it been doing it for 4 minutes still got 6 minutes to go - FFS it can't even count. this is a joke right?

This is why we can't have nice things... Apple/Linux = sure boss whatever you want. Microsoft = FVK YOU DOOD....

<Rant mode over?>

Xerra

I'm going to agree with Adams rant here. I bought a stick Windows 10 PC, which i use for stuff like 6502 coding, and building Windows versions of my games. I haven't used this in a couple of months but, as soon as I boot the damn thing up, it's a fucking slog-fest with it trying to do whatever Windows 10 thinks it needs to do in the background while you try and get on with what you actually want to use it for.

I hate Windows with a passion - just wish I wasn't forced to use it for scenarios like this and certain applications. I know it's a stick PC running on an SD card but that's not the slow-down. It's Windows itself trying to throw constant requestors and asking you questions you don't give a shit about.

Took me around an hour just to get a simple compile of my game this afternoon with the damn thing. Mac does it in 15 seconds.

Rant over...
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

dawlane

If memory serves me. A lot of slow downs with copying files in Windows is down to write caching when using external storage media.

3DzForMe

Quoteook me around an hour just to get a simple compile of my game this afternoon with the damn thing. Mac does it in 15 seconds.

I can sympathize - took me 10 mins to figure out my timing logic was buggered - to be fair not really W10 fault though.
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

iWasAdam

1.5 hours to discover and 2-3 hours to actually do the copy on win10.  on win7 it was about 30 minutes for everything...
mac/linux about a minute... go figure...  :o

Derron

Where did you copy from?
USB-drive/stick (which partition format?)
Network (Samba, CIFS ..) ?

Maybe your Windows is running an AV solution which uploaded your precompilated modules/binaries first to scan them online ...

Only slow copy operations I saw was from VirtualBox Windows machines with NAT translation into my local LAN. It is not the amount of data but the amount of files there - file access is slower then. So 100.000 files with 1 gig in total take way way way longer than 10 files with 1gig in total.

Maybe next time copy via "rsync" (especially if you just want to refresh an existing copy with newer files).

Would more likely rant on Windows10 and its "update strategy" - my wife is new to Windows 10 but already got "angry" two times when she wanted to shut down her computer and it was not "shutdown" but "update and shutdown" (she uses a power socket with switch ...so has to "wait").

bye
Ron

iWasAdam

nah, don't accept that for 1 second. win 7 is fast(er), win 10 doing something else. Either way how about linux and macos doing it in seconds!

Steve Elliott

Would more likely rant on Windows10 and its "update strategy" - my wife is new to Windows 10 but already got "angry" two times when she wanted to shut down her computer and it was not "shutdown" but "update and shutdown" (she uses a power socket with switch ...so has to "wait").

Yes that really annoys me, it always happens when I'm in a hurry.  I'll tell *you* when I want to upgrade thank you very much!  Sometimes it's just not convenient to wait.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

iWasAdam

deleting files theres another one.
discovering a few meg of files, i think it runs at 1 per second. You know how fast it really takes for a computer to find a few meg of files? a couple of millisecs. WTF is win10 doing?
it takes about 2 secs to delete and 20-50 seconds to 'discover' <-this is complete bollox!!!! ARGGGGG!

Where's me valium, I'm a good girl i am, im a good girl...

Steve Elliott

I don't know what kind of system you're running Adam but I don't get the slowness you or Xerra are talking about, there's something seriously wrong with your Windows Box.  I know Xerra is using a toy computer running Windows 10.  Guys save yourself massive headaches and buy a proper PC, they're very cheap compared to a Mac.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Derron

I asked that already: where are you deleting from? From a samba share?

Windows prefetches information of the files - and for remote this is rather slow.

bye
Ron

iWasAdam

it was local and not NAS, etc  :P

Derron

local 1,44 floppy disc ? :)

Regarding deletion (and maybe copying) ...
https://superuser.com/questions/1485083/windows-10-deletes-lots-of-tiny-files-super-slowly-can-anything-be-done-to-spee

I personally think it is something involving the GUI ... maybe each "explorer-based" deletion is emitting an event and stuff like the explorer does recalculate times, repaint gui widgets ...

Just check if deleting stuff from a "Volkov Commander" is faster - I think so :)

bye
Ron

Skaven

i cant believe people are still complaining about windows update
if youre using the default settings in gpedit and it doesnt suite you well then you have no one but yourself to blame
and if youre not smart enough to just use gpedit (which has been in windows since xp and maybe even before that) then yes by all means stick to your mac

Derron

You know that not all of us are able to edit system relevant settings? My personal machines are Linux (exception is the PC of my wife). But at work we have Windows 10 machines - and of course only operating with user accounts not admin ones.

Aside of that: I just gave an example on what people could get angry of. Assuming that >90% of the Windows users start their Windows ... start their programmes and done. They do not adjust settings (more advanced than setting wallpapers). This is also the reason why the more modern OS add so many convenience stuff "hardcore users" hate for adding "bloat".

bye
Ron