Blitz3D with Steam

Started by Santiago, May 05, 2020, 19:38:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Xaron

Quote from: grindalf on May 11, 2020, 18:29:06
Just thought I would drop this here
https://store.steampowered.com/app/368720/Sirius/

Its also a game made with Blitz3D

At least it was started but seems abandoned.

All in all I think that if you start today you really should use something that is at least still maintained. Coming from BB3D I think you won't regret to use AGK.

If you're not shy of learning a (really cool) language like C# you have much more possibilies (not only Unity).

RemiD

i was searching for breakout games on steam, just by curiosity, and look what i have found :
https://store.steampowered.com/app/366700/Breakout_Invaders/

this is a blitz3d developper and a blitz3d game, if i remember correctly...

congrats to him :)

Dan

65536 GOTO Back2Basic

Matty

Having put a few games on Steam myself though not blitz games I can tell you that any game that can be compiled into an exe can go onto Steam. You don't need to include their API in your game. It does mean you miss out on some Steam features. But - you only need to be able to launch the game as an exe and it can go on Steam. That basically means you can't upload browser or Java games - not unless they are somehow repackaged into a stand alone executable.

Pretty much to put a game on Steam all you have to do is the following:

1. Create an account with them.
2. Pay the fee.
3. Set up the store page and other prompts in their web site.
4. Download their SDK and install on your PC.
5. Create an upload script for your game in their tools\scripts folder in their SDK.
6. Upload your game with their build tool using command run_app_build {script.vdf}
7. Do some more changes in their web site forms and so on to ready your store page etc.
8. Get the game approved.
9. Release.
That's basically it.

Steve Elliott

Thanks for that info Matty.   :)
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Pfaber11

Does this mean I cannot use my PureBasic games on Steam as there is the exe plus graphics files png + 3D folder.?
HP 15s i3 1.2 upto 3.4 ghz 128 gb ssd 16 gb ram 15.6 inch screen. Windows 11 home edition .  2Tb external hard drive dedicated to Linux Mint .
  PureBasic 6 and AppGameKit studio
ASUS Vivo book 15 16gb ram 256gb storage  cpu upto 4.1 ghz

Derron

Quote from: Pfaber11 on November 28, 2022, 07:27:02
Does this mean I cannot use my PureBasic games on Steam as there is the exe plus graphics files png + 3D folder.?

Oh yes, of course they only allow single-file-applications ....

Quote from: Matty on November 26, 2022, 16:47:20
But - you only need to be able to launch the game as an exe and it can go on Steam.

Just think about what just asked. Do you by any chance have a steam game installed? Simply have a look how many files they have in their directories. What about DLLs they use which are by their licence not allowed to be "packed" into single file apps? What about "mods" for games? Today AV tools are not so uber cool with self-modifying .exe-files (the games would need to inject modules into the .exe then). Am not trying to sound rude - sorry if it did.

TLDR: Of course you can have more than a single .exe file in your steam-ified game/application.

bye
Ron

RemiD

steam store seems quite tolerant because in the folder of 'Breakout Invaders' there is fastext.dll which is often considered as a hack / malware (fastext hacks values and pointers in the ram, to upgrade blitz3d capabilities, if i understand correctly)

Pfaber11

Thanks for making that clear.
HP 15s i3 1.2 upto 3.4 ghz 128 gb ssd 16 gb ram 15.6 inch screen. Windows 11 home edition .  2Tb external hard drive dedicated to Linux Mint .
  PureBasic 6 and AppGameKit studio
ASUS Vivo book 15 16gb ram 256gb storage  cpu upto 4.1 ghz

3DzForMe

Quote. fastext hacks values and pointers in the ram, to upgrade blitz3d capabilities, if i understand correctly)   

Thanks for the insight!
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

GrindalfGames

I'm recently releasing my first game on steam and my game is made in B3D so I guess I can somewhat answer this.
 Dungeons of Mysteria on Steam (steampowered.com)
The process is quite simple, apart from all the hoops you have to jump in with steam, and the sheer amount of buttons, tabs, pages ect on the steamworks pages where you get lost not knowing how to get to the part you need to change(But all that would have been identical whatever app your game was made with so its irrelevant)
The actual part about B3D was simple drop the game and contents into a folder that you will upload, go through the awkward steam process of uploading and done ;)
I've also added Partial controller support and Cloud saves(cloud saves were easy)
I wanted to add steam achievements but could not figure out how to get it to work with the two steam plugins for blitz(I think it was purely on my part)
The only issue I can see with using B3D is that you are limited to 2048x1536 as a max resolution and thats only until Kevin finishes NG(he already has it fully working on openGL at 5k, its just got texture/image masking problems at the moment)
I was going to jump to godot after my next project but depending on how the release goes for these 2 games I may stay with Blitz.

GrindalfGames

I was recently pointed in the direction of this DLL
 GitHub - UCyborg/LegacyD3DResolutionHack: Simple proxy DLL which removes artificial resolution limit from Direct3D 7 and below.
 you just drop it in the folder with your exe and it removes the resolution restriction of DX7 games(including B3D)
Ive only tested it on one pc(because nothing I own goes beyond B3D limitations) and without it crashed on DirectDraw but with the Dll it runs fine.
If anybody has a pc that runs in higher res than blitz can run I would love to hear what you can get it up to and if it works ok.