Advice about learn another lenguage to make games

Started by Santiago, April 26, 2020, 01:11:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Santiago

Hello, I wanted to ask you what you recommend.

I only program on blitz3d, I never liked Unity.

From the blitz, blitzmax, ng range, what do you recommend?

1. Blitzmax can be used for windows, mac and linux, what could I make applications and games for phones and tablets?

Having my blitz3d base, what do you recommend to continue ?, to learn another language that works for me speaking ...

Well, and these days that I am programming a lot I drink less beer to have a more optimized brain, does it happen to you too?

2. if i want to make very heavy resourses game, for pc and mac, blitzmax is the one?.

3. and if i want to have oculus or virtual reality suport, what lenguage is recomended?.

if the lenguage is similar to blitz3d basec, better... im really slow learning guy.

GaborD

I really liked Blitzmax + OpenB3D when I tried it. Quite flexible.

If you want to stick with a B3D style code based dev approach, you could also try AGK.
It's way more powerful under the hood than it first seems, you can push it to really high quality with some effort. My engine of choice currently.

therevills

RayLib C library looks pretty nice and simple if you are okay with C and OpenGL only, check out Pakz's example code:

https://github.com/Pakz001/Raylib-Examples/blob/master/games/bubblebobble.c

Pfaber11

I would recommend AGK as I migrated from blitz3d to AGK and it was pretty painless . From AGK I then went over to PureBasic  for the speed which is comparable to C++ . If you want multi platform as in Phones like android and ios  then I would go for AGK classic or studio. PureBasic only supports windows mac and Linux and no phone support but is very good at what it does .
HP 15s i3 1.2 upto 3.4 ghz 128 gb ssd 16 gb ram 15.6 inch screen. Windows 11 home edition .  2Tb external hard drive dedicated to Linux Mint .
  PureBasic 6 and AppGameKit studio
ASUS Vivo book 15 16gb ram 256gb storage  cpu upto 4.1 ghz

Santiago

Thanks!,
indeed, following the advice a few days ago I am with AGK and very happy.

I managed to reproduce some of the blitz3d functions in AGK, which helped me speed up the adaptation process.

Although I'm still struggling with AGK and the loadmesh issue on how it loads the mesh, its textures, and doing something that is more practical and effective.

3DzForMe

Another vote for AGK here, syntax is very accommodating, I don't have too much time to code these days (and have coded in C..... and stuff over the decades).

AGK is similar in nature to BLitz3D, which I'm an old advocate off.

With AGk, there is also some fantastic sprite manipulation functions involving physics, collision detection... I could go on.

AGK is ace. :D
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

Kronos

There are a few choices of languages to use with AGK ie c++ or via wrappers.
eg

c#
python

which has the added benefit of more choices for IDEs and debuggers.

Coming from Blitzmax I prefer more object oriented languages. I have worked with the C# one and Python one and found them both solid. Python might be a good choice after Blitz3d.

I think there are wrappers for other languages on the forums.

MikeHart

Quote from: Kronos on June 17, 2020, 17:33:22
There are a few choices of languages to use with AGK ie c++ or via wrappers.
eg

c#
python

which has the added benefit of more choices for IDEs and debuggers.

Coming from Blitzmax I prefer more object oriented languages. I have worked with the C# one and Python one and found them both solid. Python might be a good choice after Blitz3d.

I think there are wrappers for other languages on the forums.

When targeting Tier 2, I prefer using Cerberus X. ;D

Santiago

with AGK classic i found a good tool for me .

thanks for advices.

i only know to code in basic, i need to learn more to step to Tier 2 of agk.

GrindalfGames

Quote from: GfK on June 17, 2020, 22:34:15
Re: Unity, what's not to like?

I think if you give it enough time it would feel natural, or if you learnt gamedev using that style of tool but coming from blitz it feels so unnatural and awkward, I was using it a couple of months ago(I thought I should give it a third chance) and it took me hours to do what would have been minutes in Blitz.
I think the main thing is that its a different way of thinking and my brain is not used to thinking in that way

Santiago

QuoteRe: Unity, what's not to like?

The same thing happens to me as to Grindalf.

For my part, I always distrust fashions, if everyone runs to one side, I never follow them, never. It is my way of thinking.

My brain doesn't want to see the Unity system either.

Deep down, would you like Unity to have better graphics ?, to better use your shaders ?.

I am amazed by modern games and their incredible graphics, but my heart moves every time I see something pixelated, minimalist, with an artistic 3d that does not boast.

I watched several videos, highlighting differences between Unity and other systems, -all systems have differences and advantages and disadvantages.

I like AGK, because you do not have to install plugins, or anything, it is quite simple, as was the blitz.

I also saw that many have problems doing bigger projects, that they have "leaks", maybe, it is very didactic and practical, and very good for teamwork.

But for me, Unity is overrated by the number of millions of people who use it.

when I see videos of people working in unity ,. I always think, I do that faster in Blitz, without icons, without dragging things, without putting things.

and the satisfaction that of my dyslexic way of living, press F5 and that a plane appears flying in Blitz or AGK, without having to wait more than half a second of compilation, I think that nobody can against that.