Open Game Engine Exchange (OpenGEX)

Started by Santiago, May 21, 2020, 00:24:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Santiago

i found this on internet... do you know it?
i think maibe is good thing.

Open Game Engine Exchange (OpenGEX)
http://opengex.org/

The Open Game Engine Exchange (OpenGEX) format is a text-based file format designed to facilitate the transfer of complex scene data between applications such as modeling tools and game engines. The OpenGEX format is built upon the data structure concepts defined by the Open Data Description Language (OpenDDL), a generic language for the storage of arbitrary data in human-readable format.

Download OpenGEX specification, version 2.0 (OpenGEX.2.0.pdf)

The specification is also available in print on Amazon.

The OpenGEX format was created because Collada, the open standard that we all hoped would provide a well-supported asset exchange format, has proven to be an unreliable mess. The most common source of problems has been the poor quality of the Collada export plugins available for software such as 3D Studio Max and Maya, and we attribute this to Collada's over-engineered design and its mutating under-specified format.

OpenGEX Export Plugins
Official OpenGEX export plugins for 3D Studio Max, Maya, and Blender can be downloaded here. The source code for these plugins is provided under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

The export plugins posted here support the following features:

Hierarchical scene organization (node trees).
Factored node transforms where necessary (e.g., splitting into position, rotation, and scale).
Object instancing (multiple nodes can reference the same object).
Geometry objects, light objects, and camera objects.
Multiple materials per mesh with independent binding per instance.
Multiple vertex colors and texture coordinate sets per mesh.
Skinned meshes (skeleton, bind-pose transforms, bone influence weighting data).
Morphed meshes (also known as blend shapes or shape keys).
Keyframe animation for all node transforms and morph weights.
Linear, Bézier, and TCB animation curves.
Material colors and textures (diffuse, specular, normal, emission, opacity, transparency).
Texture coordinate transforms.

Kryzon

Hi. I searched around and it seems that even though there's glTF, which is a similar but more popular format than this OpenGEX format, neither come close to the wide support and compatibility of FBX. 

So unless you have a good reason, your 3D asset pipeline should rely on the FBX format.

Derron

If your pipeline is "[whatever for textures + ] Blender + Godot" then you can use their native exporter (.escn). I would suggest to use any "engine provided exporter" for your toolkit.

FBX or other formats are good if you are an asset creator not targeting a specific engine.

bye
Ron