TORA TORA! - An airplanes game with a new name :) - DEMO

Started by Santiago, March 31, 2020, 00:17:07

Previous topic - Next topic

makis

It gives me a 1942 The Pacific Air War by Microprose vibe!

Santiago

QuoteIt gives me a 1942 The Pacific Air War by Microprose vibe!

that is very good!!
Aces of pacific is one of the games that I loved to play, and I am trying to reproduce the feeling that I felt when playing them.

Other games that I was passionate about are:
- Red Baron, (the campaign, its menus, such as rank ups and missions)
- Aces of pacific 1942, it was impressive.
- IL2, the airplane game that transported me inside a cockpit, and I felt that I was really flying.
Nowadays, I see simulators with amazing graphics, but they do not attract me because they do not transmit essence to me ...

I hope with my game, to be able to reproduce that essence that I so much enjoy from the old airplane games.

iWasAdam

very nice :)

Here's a concept with old film look added:

What model format are you using?

makis

Personally i find the non smoothed mesh of the Zero more pleasing to the eye and also gives a more nostalgic vibe to it .

Santiago

QuotePersonally i find the non smoothed mesh of the Zero more pleasing to the eye and also gives a more nostalgic vibe to it .

Hi, thanks for this comment.
There is an acceptance / realism curve that I always keep in mind, the more realistic I make them, but that does not look real, the greater the rejection one feels.
I do not remember what that curve is called, but it has an abyss near 90% of realism, and it rises again near 99%.
I think it has more style with lowpoly, because if I try to make a game that pretends to be realistic it will be a losing battle.

QuoteWhat model format are you using?

I am modeling objects with 3dsmax9, I export with B3D pipeline.

.b3d format

I try to keep the objects in SUPER-LOWPOLY, to avoid resource drop due to graphics at this point in development.

Here's a concept with old film look added:

Yesss, is very niceee!!

looks great!!
That effect, I can use it in repetitions, or in films that one sees for objectives.

Also, in reconnaissance missions one takes real photos, and based on that intelligence is obtained, there you could use this type of filter.

When playing I don't want to use that filter, why would it be confusing, since it seems that you would be playing in a filming or broadcast ... no?

Santiago

what do you think?

i change the name, thanks Adam for the advice!! thanks!!

i love this new name!

new link is
https://indiesoft.itch.io/toratoratora

soon i upload new version 0.0.5 with ships roll, new collision physics and other stuff

iWasAdam

I'm going to give a link today. Put this into your search engine and view pictures:
japanese war template

It should give loads of ideas for potential UI, 1943 maps, etc

If you were to have reconnaissance, you could put in the following:
old photo template

That would give ideas for making a pic look old and also layout for ui, etc

combine the two...

Agreed about the low-poly. it has a better feel than the smoothed version. I'd like to see it with panel lines/texturing and make a decision from that :)

iWasAdam

I think the splash screen is great, especially the japanese - genius  ;D

My personal take on it would be not to add too much:

repetition and mirroring are always a good concepts.
The main font has been changed to be more bold and more in keeping with the style and times. It is Rockwell Extra Bold.
I've taken the 2 types and mirrored them.
I've separated the background from the plane. The background gets the old photo treatment, the plane doesn't (which makes it stand out more). the background is also given a very slight blue tint - where as the plane is kept it's original color :)

The bottom red tora was given a black outline to make it jump from the darker sea

Derron

The black outline should not be "rounded" (so maybe use a "border - inside" instead of "border-outside" - if you do not want to "thinner" the font, you need to add each letter individually with a bigger scale and place them behind).  Why? The original font has hard 90° edges.

bye
Ron

Kronos

Nice. I like the wavering camera effect.

I don't know how many people remember Dropship: United Peace Force on the PS2 but on my list of things I would like to try was the shaky, focus/unfocus camera thing they used to do on the replays.

Santiago

Thanks for the comments and ideas and contributions! This is getting interesting!

Today I am focused on mission objectives, that there are messages of mission accomplished, detectors and triggers for missions to work.

I did a test, to make a very lowpoly 3D model of the "AKAGI" Japanese aircraft carrier, it was quite good, it can be improved, but at the moment it becomes the ideal method for ships, since it allows to recognize its shape and does not take more than a while to model it.

Now I must decide what method to use for the wake left by the ships. rather troublesome subject.

New lowpoly model carrier "Akagi"

Also add a double mesh for the propellers, one for low revs and one for high revs using a texture. so the screenshots do not appear that the engine was stopped.

Steve Elliott

Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Santiago

thanks Steve!

Now i finish the function to give live to mission objetives.

testing patrol mission, when i go to my carrier i found this damage, because an aircraft crash on the deck :) very funny

when i take off

when i back

3DzForMe

BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

iWasAdam

looking very nice. Here's some reference images of the Akagi:
first an overall texture map -thing to note is the detail on the deck plus the red orb and not flag (looks like the flag was not used at sea):

actual photo - you can just see the orb and not flag underneath the planes - another not would be the planes themselves being biplanes - this must be a very old shot before the zeros and no tower:

last a closeup of the tower with flack padding: