CoronaVirus

Started by Amanda Dearheart, March 24, 2020, 00:44:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Madjack

Quote from: Steve Elliott on September 26, 2020, 19:51:44
Yes some are, but the Government have also been a bunch of useless bastards.  They saw the virus coming and did nothing.  They simply wanted lots to die in the name of herd immunity!

I don't ascribe to the idea that the Government 'wanted lots to die in the name of herd immunity!'.

I think what has happened is that this is a crisis that cuts right across decades of neo-liberal thinking. For a long time now the message has been that government is the problem and the free market is best. Governments are saturated with this thinking - even supposedly left leaning political parties. As a result, government run services such as healthcare are always under threat, underfunded and privatized by stealth.

Then along comes a pandemic and what happens?

The public turns to the government en-masse and expects it to act effectively, even though lobbyists have been working for decades to reduce the role of government to just maintaining the status quo for business interests - the financial sector in particular. As such many (western) governments couldn't even acknowledge the danger until it became impossible to ignore. It was a case of cognitive dissonance, which is still going on.

(On an individual level, notice Boris's somewhat amazed reaction to the public healthcare he received that was effective in (probably) saving his life. It seems he can't quite believe it).

Medical supplies that should have been stockpiled, weren't. Why? Because it's not profitable in the free market to do so. And there was an expectation that the market would be able to provide should such a need arise.

But much of the world's manufacturing had been offloaded to China because of the lure of cheap labor. It's also where the virus originated (and SARS and Asian Swine Flu and even possibly the 1917 flu epidemic), and pretty much overnight, Chinese production shut down. Even here in New Zealand we had reports of Chinese buying up all the medical supplies they could and shipping them back to China.

So bingo, western governments froze and there was a lack of medical supplies and now the virus is deeply embedded in first world populations.

Complete stuff-up of the first order, but I think there's a complex web of political, medical and ideological factors that have been at play here.

Amanda Dearheart

Wow,

this thread is still getting hits. how many months has it been now,  4, 6 or higher.  I actually beleived in the pandemic, but I didn't know it would be this big.
Prepare to be assimilated !  Resistance is futile!

iWasAdam

well... not to put a downer on things.  :(
the previous pandemic (1918) lasted for 2.5 years with 3 distinct waves. and the trajectory is sorta keeping in line with it. which means we are just at the start of the second one!

Matty

I'd say I'm doing pretty well despite these stats:

Although the lockdown has only been a few months it is now 808 days since I've had more than a single visit to my home by a friend.

It is also 73 days since I have had a face to face conversation with anyone that goes more than 30 seconds, not counting 3am chats with petrol station attendants.

Not bad huh?

Kryzon

I've been thinking, atheists should find a way to have people congregate and chat, just like it happens in churches. Maybe have some singing too. 

A friend of mine, and I'm sure many of yours, had met his wife while at a church. I think religion still plays a big part in socialization, which is unfortunate -- "so you're not religious? Well, good luck trying to find a group of people that happens to have lots of single women the same age as yours!"

Matty

Xerra

Quote from: Kryzon on October 17, 2020, 06:53:10
A friend of mine, and I'm sure many of yours, had met his wife while at a church. I think religion still plays a big part in socialization, which is unfortunate -- "so you're not religious? Well, good luck trying to find a group of people that happens to have lots of single women the same age as yours!"

Poppycock. You don't need to be religious and a regular attendee at a church to have a better chance at meeting a partner. There's pubs, clubs - for the younger generation, introductions from friends, and probably the most common scenario, work colleagues.
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

Derron

Singing in a church is not the best idea during these covid19 times ... spreading etc.

Also religion prohibits what younger people ... want to do - so there might be better locations for them.
If you are 30+ and male then chances are high you wont find many women there .... who are not married or ... uncoupled for certain reasons (visual, social, psychological,...). Same can surely be said about men there - but you know, there are more women growing children alone than men.

@ Matty
There is no reason to stop talking to people - except they or you are ill. If you feel unsure, wear a mask and stay a bit distant from the other one - then you can talk. You could also meet in your garden etc.
We've met our friends and families as usual the last months - except when we had "lockdown", then we tried to meet "as few as possible" - except when it was allowed to meet "outside" etc.

Avoiding any social contact is ...not productive for your not too stable mental health.

bye
Ron

Kryzon

Quote from: Xerra on October 17, 2020, 10:28:21There's pubs, clubs - for the younger generation
Sure, and house parties too. But people that frequent churches have yet that extra moment to meet others. I think I'm only complaining about this because I'm already antisocial enough that any opportunity you can get to meet others is valuable...

Quoteand probably the most common scenario, work colleagues.
My older sister met her husband this way, so you're right on the money.

@Derron based on some girls that I knew (just friends) during teenage years, they only went to church because their parents forced them. 
One of those girls in particular seemed kinda liberal actually (as in pre-marital-sex kind of liberal, she said she had a boyfriend and he had been "her first"). The strictness of the church crowd that I've met seems to vary a lot person by person, and that's kind of confusing. In some cases they go because they're forced to, so they're not that bound by the rules as you'd think.

RemiD

you guys are really paranoid, this virus is not more dangerous than the previous similar ones (ok maybe a little bit more), the only difference is that governments have decided to talk about it and to test surveillance / control measures on the population, and the parots sheeps repeat and follow...

in april (nobody had masks !) i have already done the calculations to compare the number of deaths compared to previous years.
let me show you the numbers for France (supposedly one of the worse countries for the management of this "pandemic") :
deaths per year (2018) : 614 000
deaths due to respiratory problems : 48 506
deaths due to influenza virus : 9 120
deaths due to infectious diseases : 28 858
deaths due to cardiovascular problems :  159 640
(these are the people who are more likely to suffer greatly from this virus)
so in total 246 124 deaths could be counted as dead due to the cov2 virus while they would have died anyway due to others "weakening diseases"

and i am not counting others cancer patients who have their immune system suppressed because of chemotherapy...

deaths due to this virus (what the government claims) : 34 645 (25/10/20)

this virus is apparently circulating in europe since november 2019, so there is only 2 months remaining to have many more deaths to reach "normal" number of deaths... (in France)

apparently this cov2 virus has a size of approximately 114nm
1nm2 = 0.000001mm2
so in 1mm2 there would be 76 946 752 viruses, so please don't cough, don't talk, don't laugh, don't breath :))

this puts things in perpective...

btw we (people in France) went to the beaches, city streets, shops, bars, in june, july, august, september, and nothing dramatic happened... most people were not wearing masks (except in shops)

and in january, february, march, april, may, nobody weared (i don't like "wore") a mask either...

personally i am not afraid about the tiny virus but about the government anti freedom measures !

take a slow deep breath (good for your respiratory capacity) and stay skeptic about the medias / governments !

(i forsee the insults and hate comments coming... :-*)

Qube

Quote from: RemiD on October 25, 2020, 12:34:22
you guys are really paranoid, this virus is not more dangerous than the previous similar ones (ok maybe a little bit more), the only difference is that governments have decided to talk about it and to test surveillance / control measures on the population, and the parots sheeps repeat and follow...

(i forsee the insults and hate comments coming... :-*)

No tin foil hat :

I wouldn't say the worry is that more people die from other things or even say it's a test about population control and mass DNA gathering but rather...

1.. It's a new virus that they don't know much about.

2.. It spreads rapidly and ( see point 1 )

3.. The short / long term effects are unknown and ( see point 2 )

4.. There is no vaccine so if the population is to continue as normal then no one knows what the real outcome would be if millions became infected. Would it fizzle out? would it mutate to something stronger due to mass infection?

5.. As it's all unknown at the moment I would say that's why these measures are in place.

On the tin foil hat required side you could say :

1.. National lock down didn't work, so why try again? - Because regional lockdowns give a much better understanding of localised compliance and where more resources will be needed when full control is enforced.

2.. Do facemarks work? - No they don't as why are cases rocketing again when most are wearing them? - Reason is to give false confidence to at least keep the economy flowing and also gauge general compliance before tracking implants are introduced ( to help the spread of course ).

3.. Government said children are not likely to spread the virus. Strange as just like face masks, cases rocketed after schools were reopened. Are children super spreaders?

4.. Why are all the safety measures being side lined to rush out a vaccine? - Could the vaccine increase fatalities when used with a mutated version of Covid to cause a much needed mass population cull ( Agenda 21 )?

5.. True fact that governments have done experiments on the general population before so is it unrealistic to assume they may do it again?

I think on both sides there are some valid questions to be asked and answered. Just blindly accepting everything we're told and asked to do is as dangerous as any virus.

Which ever side you're on the fact remains that Covid does kill both young and old and not just ones with underlying health conditions. I for one are happy to take the precautions rather than go looking for it. Take the vaccine? not a chance for at least 5 years.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

RemiD

hen no one knows what the real outcome would be if millions became infected.
already happened, happening...

another thing to ponder :
why do you think that the people who are the most affected by this virus are in "rich" countries ? answer : because many people were already chronicaly sick and dying each year of others "diseases" (caused mostly by "foods", air pollution, lack of movement)...
now how can you be sure that a person died from the inflamation caused by a virus or by a weakened state due to others chronic diseases ? you can't...

so instead of destroying the economy and restraining freedoms, maybe it is time that people stop considering their bodies as trashes ?
but even if most people would do that (they won't), the real problem are the governments excess of power and lack of direct democraty...

aslo, as i already mentioned, at least 1 treatment exists (maybe 3) to decrease the load of "harmful" viruses in the plasma (blood), why is it not used ?

this reminds me of anti terrorists measures that we have been seing for the past 19 years... for our safety, of course  ::)

GrindalfGames

Maybe people fear the outcome of Covid. someone I work with had Covid 6 months ago and she still can't taste anything and she is a young(mid twenties) healthy person, she is worried that she will never taste food again. I'm sure I will survive covid if I catch it but I enjoy eating and want to continue enjoying food(and who knows what other weird side effects there are)

Madjack

Quotebtw we (people in France) went to the beaches, city streets, shops, bars, in june, july, august, september, and nothing dramatic happened... most people were not wearing masks (except in shops)

Except cases have surged and as of just today, there's been 36,437 new cases and 244 new deaths in France.
Indeed the French government has announced new lockdown measures to try and flatten this surge.

It's astonishing to me how, even in this late stage, people can still be in denial.

3DzForMe

@MJ, well said.

to resurrect an old post:

QuoteWhile I'm going on about this, I'd like to thank anyone who's reading who is working in the NHS, or any kind of medical area in any country. You guys are salt of  the earth and I really hope you get the appreciation you all deserve once this finally blows over and everyone can see how hard you tried to get us all through this. 

I second that - and would like to re-iterate the thanks to the people working in the health services around the world.  I'd also like to state a vote of thanks for the supermarket workers (of which my son is one - nigh on full-time around doing a full time college course) - The nonesense that supermarket workers have to put up with on occasion is blood boiling - thats peeps for you though!

For moi, I changed jobs in April just when it was all kicking in. This last weeks been a funny old one - 6 hours working from home monday before a 200 mile drive to go onsite.  3.5 hours into my day onsite, my wife informed me my daughter needed to get a COVID test, she had been unwell, but her condition had detoeriated.... so I needed to self isolate. Cue a 200 mile drive back home again 3 days early to work from home @ 0800 Wednesday. Funny old week - and somewhat exhausting.

I really empathise with the people that are trying to make ends meet - for example security managers at airports that were furloughed.... then sacked. Starting up comic book shops and employing their colleagues. Kids going to Uni and having to self isolate.  Its very trying times - look out for for those close to you, Be safe everyone.

BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1