CoronaVirus

Started by Amanda Dearheart, March 24, 2020, 00:44:37

Previous topic - Next topic

3DzForMe

I changed jobs in April, and have been doing 40 hours or more each week, working from home and occasionally on site. Which is a 200 mile commute.... Digs etc.

Quote.     so sure now. As tempting as it sounds to be in front of the computer writing games or playing them for weeks on end, I think it's probably quite detrimental to some peoples sanity.
Report to       

Yeah, I'd advocate some volunteer work on occasion, maybe at the British Heart Foundation or similar.....

Whilst it's great to code and produce stuff, it's also good to get out and even just have a walk.  :D
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

STEVIE G

Quote from: GfK on September 25, 2020, 09:51:34
Of course, none of this would be happening (again) if people were using their heads.

I had to go in Iceland (the shop, not the country) for food the other day.  So many people not wearing face coverings.  And you can't tell me they're all exempt, not that I think anybody should be as they aren't that bad anyway.  None of them were being challenged by shop staff, and even if they were, all they'd likely get is a mouthful of abuse.

Bottom line - if you don't want to wear a face covering and/or have no respect for the health of others, stay at home.  Boris Johnson should make it law that anyone not wearing a face covering gets fucking chinned.  >:(

Totally agree, its not much of a chore to stick one on. Too many people not giving a fuck! Only seen a few instances of no masks here in Glasgow but I'm right next to the Uni which is worrying.   :(

GrindalfGames

here in sidmouth(south uk) there are a lot of people not wearing face coverings. I work in a coffee shop/restaurant and as of yesterday we have started telling people to leave if they wont do track and trace or wear a face covering

3DzForMe

Quote. hould make it law that anyone not wearing a face covering gets fucking chinned.  >:(     

Ditto. Do not blame shop workers for not challenging f*** that don't wear masks, inconsiderate knobs are the lowest of the low.
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

Xerra

Quote from: 3DzForMe on September 25, 2020, 09:14:00
Whilst it's great to code and produce stuff, it's also good to get out and even just have a walk.  :D

Totally agree. I live on Harrow on the hill, which is about the only reasonably nice part of the whole borough now, so going for a walk around the famous school and some of the fields/back roads is almost compulsory for me at least twice a week at lunch times.

Jealous of Gindalf living in Sidmouth, though. When I was a kid, and growing up in a single parent family, we had state subsided holidays to give mum a rest. Me and my sisters used to get shunted up to Devon for two weeks for a few years in the late 70's. I loved places like Sidmouth, Paignton and Teignmouth as all the kids were carted to the seaside every day. No flipping consoles keeping us in front of the telly back then. We had amusement arcades and bumper cars on the pier. Awesome days.

M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

GrindalfGames

@Xerra Yes its lovely here but its been so busy what with people not being able to go abroad easily for holidays and probably trying to make the most of their free time before another lockdown its been so busy that its actually hard to walk down the street(and nobody wearing masks) so unless its for work I just don't go out until after dark but hopefully with the colder weather will come a little peace and quiet

col

Here in Singapore when you're out of your home its compulsory to wear a face covering (usually a mask) at all times, except when actually eating and drinking in a restaurant, or maybe exercising. Same for public transport, no mask then you don't get on, simple. Track and trace works flawlessly... you'll get notified, tested and quarantined if you were in an area where an infected person has been. You cant go in anywhere without having to 'check in and out'. It takes just a few seconds along with temperature screening.

The government here are employing people who are not working due to the virus (Bar and club staff, airline staff plus others) as 'social distancing ambassadors'. They move around the country reminding people to wear a mask and help disperse crowds. They are well respected for the job they're doing. They also have the power to dish out fines if you refuse to wear a mask or are a jerk to others about it. They are nice people and aren't power hungry and would prefer to just remind you to put on your mask.

The government here also give out FREE washable masks on a regular basis so there's no excuse not to wear one.

We are now down to very low numbers of daily infection, zero in the community for 5 days now, average of 0.5 a day for the week before (in the quarantined areas there's less than 20 a day and that figure is dropping too), but the government are under no illusion that they/we have beaten back the virus and that it all go very wrong without a moments notice.

I feel very safe here and have no worries at all about the virus here. However I am very worried about my friends and family there in the UK. The government there and not the only one... just look at the state of USA) are showing that they really dont know how to, or give a fuck, about it's peoples well being in true times of need, help and direction.
https://github.com/davecamp

"When you observe the world through social media, you lose your faith in it."

GrindalfGames

@col thats all very well and good until people from outside your country start bringing it back in again.
all the countries need to be following strict measures like this so we can all beat the virus together rather than just keep passing it around like a hot potato

col

Totally agree.

It's the same within the countries too. Everyone should pull together and do the same thing to help protect each other. In the more so called 'free' countries you have the 'human rights' brigade and the 'you hurt my feelings' brigade spouting tons of bullshit in order to satisfy their need for attention, which for some unqauntifiable reason, great swaths of people would sooner believe and follow them compared with going with common sense. It only takes 1 person to not wear a mask for the effort become ineffective. Scaling it up and I agree that it takes just 1 country have infections and the whole globe is at risk.

Quotethats all very well and good until people from outside your country start bringing it back in again
Agreed.
People aren't allowed in here unless you have a damn good reason to come in, and it's to the authorities here to decide if that reason is good enough. 14 day quarantine without any physical contact with anyone is what you can look forward to if you are allowed in. You're not treated like a criminal though, quite the opposite. You'll get a free hotel to stay in, free food, phone calls to make sure that your health is ok, if you need any supplies etc. It gets left outside of your room door.

You also have to have a very good reason to go out of the country too and then come back. Going for vacation is definitely not one of them, and your travel has to be permitted before you go. Fines await you, paying for own hotel and expenses, covid tests and a possible redaction of your visa, if you ignore them. They mean business too. Plenty of places have closed and people kicked out for taking liberties.

Like most other countries, the government locked down and dished out billions for businesses to stay afloat. They also say 'if you can work from home then you must do so'. The companies that were trying that crap of trying to force employees back to office got huge fines and action taken.

If only other countries governments did something remotely similar and stopped the 'piss takers' then the world might be further along in trying to get out this rotten situation.
https://github.com/davecamp

"When you observe the world through social media, you lose your faith in it."

chalky

I have to agree with every word of that. I've never understood why "new" safety measures always take effect 'from <insert random day in the future here>' instead of immediately. Some say it's to allow people/businesses to prepare - but surely by now they've had more than enough time to do that?

Steve Elliott

"Unmasked anti-lockdown crowds descend on central London"...That says it all.  Morons.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Steve Elliott

Yes some are, but the Government have also been a bunch of useless bastards.  They saw the virus coming and did nothing.  They simply wanted lots to die in the name of herd immunity!
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Xerra

Quote from: Steve Elliott on September 26, 2020, 19:51:44
Yes some are, but the Government have also been a bunch of useless bastards.  They saw the virus coming and did nothing.  They simply wanted lots to die in the name of herd immunity!

I agree with this. It's a bit hypocritical on my part because I can't really say what I would do if I were in charge and could make the decisions.

However, that floppy-haired buffoon in charge is probably the biggest imbecile I think I've ever had the misfortune of having to listen too. He has all the advisors available to him yet still seems to be making complete dipshit decisions without even thinking of the ramifications and also seems to be more interested in keeping power and wealth for him and his buddies than actually solving this crisis. His strategy when all this started actually did seem to be the herd mentality where we should all just band together and develop immunity from exposure. Let's just let the old people and the seriously ill die of it - they don't pay taxes anyway.

Honestly, I said to the missus a couple of years ago, before he became PM, that his strategy for attempting to get public favour is to watch large groups of people shouting for any kind of issue and then running in front of them shouting that he believes in what they're saying and they should follow him.

How can you make a decision that everyone needs to wear face masks in and out of shops yet not put in place some kind of enforcement for it. People just ignore it and, as much as I hate to say it, there's also a huge element of people not wanting to say anything for fear of human rights being screamed at them, or religious reasons being spouted as excuses.

I was sitting on a bus a couple of weeks back and a woman took off her mask in the seat right behind me. I asked her to put it back on and she proceeded to tell me that she was wearing it as she got on but doesn't need to any more. She actually believed this !!!

As a species, humans are fucking idiots. Probably why we've been put so far away from any other intelligent species in the universe. We'd have been wiped out otherwise.
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

Steve Elliott

macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

GrindalfGames

Quote from: GfK on September 27, 2020, 10:36:11
We're not gonna make it, are we?  People I mean.

It's in your nature to destroy yourselves.
Oooh quoting my favorite movie there